PDA

View Full Version : Some commuting questions

A1CKot
05-06-2012, 10:05 PM
So I'm moving off base this week and need to rethink commuting on my bicycle. Living on base I would just ride the 1 or 2 miles from my dorm to the flight line. Now its going to be 15 mile on a 70mph 4 lane divided high way with a full shoulder or 18 mile on a 65mph 2 lane road with a 1-2 foot shoulder. The 70mph road is the main road way between base and downtown Minot so it gets all the normal traffic plus the base traffic. The other road is primary traveled by farmers and on a test ride I only saw a handful of cars that passed with generous room. Oh and this route has about 4 miles of dirt roads that are only used by farmers so maybe it is the safer of the two.

Clothing? I don't really want to ride in all kitted up so what is my alternative?

I've read a lot of the commuting posts that turned up in a search but still need some hand holding on the logistics of the whole thing. I work 3:20pm to 11:20pm so lights are a must but we have 24 hour coverage so I could end up on any of the 3 shifts at any time. What about my work cloths? We have a locker room/trailer that I can store stuff in so do I put a weeks worth of stuff in a locker and carry only what I need to support my ride and a lunch?

I would like to ride in 3-4 times a week. I will not ride on Friday night because of the high number of DUIs that are reported up here.

So what is everyone else doing that I need to think about? Thanks in advance because I seem to be a little lost on this one.

BTW my dress attire is Air Force ABU's with steel toe combat boot.

Louis
05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Now its going to be 15 mile on a 70mph 4 lane divided high way with a full shoulder or 18 mile on a 65mph 2 lane road with a 1-2 foot shoulder. The 70mph road is the main road way between base and downtown Minot so it gets all the normal traffic plus the base traffic. The other road is primary traveled by farmers and on a test ride I only saw a handful of cars that passed with generous room.

Neither of those options sounds terribly safe, but I suppose the one with much lower traffic may be safer, even if the shoulder is narrow. I'd invest in a very good set of lights front and back - they might save your life.

Winter will be fun. :eek:

MattTuck
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
i wouldn't commit to anything yet. do a couple rides, and see what works.

Late night commuting of that distance doesn't sound safe, imo. If you flat, or have a mechanical, it just sounds like a bad idea...

could you ride in during light hours, and get a ride home?

There is a shower at the base? I'd keep as much stuff on base as possible.

Any chance you could get a cot, and just sleep after your shift and ride back in the morning?

A1CKot
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Neither of those options sounds terribly safe, but I suppose the one with much lower traffic may be safer, even if the shoulder is narrow. I'd invest in a very good set of lights front and back - they might save your life.

Winter will be fun. :eek:

Yeah I know. I looked at a map for a long time trying to find a route that was mostly on the dirt roads. I would need to zigzag a lot to do that and I would still have to ride the 70mph road for 2 miles or so. I think it would also at a few more miles to the trip. I really want to do it but I wont do it unless I feel safe.

Ken Robb
05-06-2012, 11:07 PM
It doesn't sound like a fun ride to me and I only do fun rides.

Louis
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM

I've never done it, but based on what I've seen and heard, I'd say that in general, commuting is not as much "fun" as "regular" riding, but you could say the same thing about serious training. (which I don't do either)

Having said that, I think commuting can be very satisfying, and it's a great way to log miles to help you stay in shape if you don't have enough time to ride after work or on weekends.

Some folks really like it and do enjoy the routine.

fourflys
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I used to commute about 40 miles round trip and really enjoyed it.. I was fortunate to have a shower at work so I could just do that... as far as uniforms, I'm guessing you have a dry cleaner on base I always had my stuff cleaned on base... when I started I would drive one way with the bike and ride home and then ride back in the morning...

can't really comment on the roads as that has to be a personal decision as to how safe/comfortable you feel...

A1CKot
05-06-2012, 11:35 PM

Honestly that is what ND has to offer for riding. Thats why my focus has shifted more to off road stuff over my go fast bikes. But when I do go out for road rides they are on mostly low traffic roads with small shoulders and high speed limits. Riding loops around down town seems more dangerous than riding the very flat very straight roads out side of town. At least I can be spotted for a long way off.

Anyway I am going to be safe about this. I will leave a map of my route with my shop and let some one know when I make it back home.

If I do ride rt 83, the 70mph road, more people will be available to help if something happens and if I have a terminal mechanical problem I would be more likely to find a ride to base. I can get a ride home at the end of the night if I need it but that eliminates half of the fun.

Or is this just a bad idea?

buldogge
05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
I would consider reflectives...on your person, tires, etc.

You might even consider some of the new(ish) wheel lights.

I would think being seen from behind is most important on a long/straight/dark road.

On my urban commute (especially in winter) I worry most about cars turning in front of me...but...on an open road I would fear being rundown mostly.

Light yourself up and enjoy the ride...I doubt you will have an issue. What are the traffic counts possibly like (compared to a denser population area)?

-Mark in St. Louis

oliver1850
05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd prefer the lower traffic route, I think. Shoulders are nice if they're not strewn with broken glass, which they always are in my area. I've seen plenty of vehicles 2-3' onto the shoulder on Interstate highways for no apparent reason, so I don't see a wide shoulder as much of an incentive to ride that type of route. I'd ride the lowest traffic/lowest speed limit roads, even if it added some mileage.

As far as clothes, you can ride in whatever suits your situation. I've done 80 mile rides in longjohns, blue jeans, sweatshirt and winter coat. Toes and fingers are the main issue when it's cold. I've never had any winter bike shoes, work boots are as warm as anything, but steel toes aren't ideal in the cold. I ride with either plain platform pedals or toe clips without straps.

As far as lighting, being seen is the main thing. If you're on the road alone, it's surprising how little light you need to be able to ride. But even with a headlight that's adequate to light your way, people on side roads will not notice you. People approaching will hit their brights when they do see you, and you will be blinded.

Know your route, and be prepared to get off the road when you need to. I often ride off the side of the road when there is traffic coming from front and back. You should know where culverts or other obstacles are. As Mark said, the fear is always getting hit from behind. It's happened to plenty of folks, so obviously it's justified, but my closest calls at night have been from cars on side roads. Don't assume they've seen you.

CNY rider
05-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Good suggestions above.

My commute is in the dark for about 3 months a year.
I would strongly suggest having 2 lights to see with: One (preferably) generator powered, front headlamp on the bicycle.
Second helmet mounted, battery powered like a DiNotte. Added bonus is it also has a red light on the back so you add a taillight that way. This way you can scan the shoulder, notify encroaching motorists to pay attention, and also have light to fix a flat.
Two lights on the back too. at least one steady red, other can be flashing. Planet bike makes a nice cheap one I clip to my helmet.

Ginger
05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
I used to do a 17 mile one way commute in the greater Detroit area.

Dinotte taillight. It doesn't matter as much what you can see, as to who can see you from behind, and I like the Dinotte taillight. Used as perscribed, even drunks avoid you, and the battery life is pretty good. Have a second taillight just in case. And reflectors...dorky, but they do a job when all else fails.
Oh, and I like the tires with the reflective stripe...I think they do help people identify the blinky lights as a particular object, not a UFO...

Remember that no matter how bright you are and how much reflective tape you have on your and your bike, no one sees you. But you know that.

What day do paychecks come in the neighborhood? Expect drunks to take that "less travelled" rat run that you've found on the night, and the next morning. I'm never sure where they're going...but they seem determined to get their hoopdie somewhere else...and they're certainly hungover or still drunk.
Also pay attention to when major sporting events are on, and plan to NOT ride that evening, or the next morning. (Think late-for-work drunks or drunk high school kids looking for kicks)

Oh, and night riding gives the opportunity to find that one moron who thinks anyone in lycra needs a beating. Be careful of the loonies.

Always leave with enough time and carry enough stuff to repair at least 4 flats. (for me that was two tubes and C02 carts to match, and a patch kit and a pump...) Oh...even if you leave everything at work...if you wear them (we don't want to know...) always carry a set of underwear...just in case you miscounted what you left at work.

Stash as much as you can at work. If you can get onto your workplace without the steel toes, leave them at work as long as you're sure your locker is secure.

As the seasons change, you'll change your own gear...it's a nice natural progression.

Start slow, try a couple nice weather days in daylight to see how it goes. Commuting does give a nice connection to the world outside, and it's a nice way to separate life from work.

Good luck!

CNY rider
05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
) always carry a set of underwear...just in case you miscounted what you left at work.

!

Yep, this is key.
When people at work ask about commuting I always tell them , pick a pair of underwear and socks you won't miss much, stash them in your desk somewhere.
You never know when you will get to work and realize you forgot the goods. You will be very happy to dig out that pair you stashed so long ago.....

Ginger
05-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Yep, this is key.
When people at work ask about commuting I always tell them , pick a pair of underwear and socks you won't miss much, stash them in your desk somewhere.
You never know when you will get to work and realize you forgot the goods. You will be very happy to dig out that pair you stashed so long ago.....

Yeah, I used to stash my shower stuff at work too, except the towel, I carried a new one each day...they don't dry well in a locker or a desk.

redir
05-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Commuting at night is perfectly safe as long as you have proper lights. The light I have pretty much looks like a motorcycle light when it's on. I can do any speed and see the road just like I was on a motorcycle. Rear lights of course are necessary too. You may weant to look into hub generator lights for the amount of night commuting you will be doing. They are great! No batteries and full power at 2MPH.

As for clothing, what I do is leave about 3 sets of cloths in my office. On a day I drive in I just rotate them out. I carry a shoulder style 'messenger' bag to also carry clothing and anything else, lunch, bike lock, wallet, phone, etc...

I don't think I'd want to carry steal toed boots though.

I wear a kit on my commute. Is there any reason why you don't want to wear cycle specific clothing? If you are bashful then you can wear shorts over cycle bibs and a regular poly, non cotton, t-shirt. There is also mountain bike specific baggy shorts as well. But IMO when on a bike nothing beats the comfort of a nice chamois.

Ralph
05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't do it.....period. Mix it up with 65-70- MPH trafic at night....no way. If you do, make sure your life insurance is plentiful. Just too many cyclists get hit at night....no matter what lights you use.

And in Minot, ND, ......after dark.....I start shivering just thinking about it. Anchorage Alaska is probably warmer.

brownhound
05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I would like to ride in 3-4 times a week. I will not ride on Friday night because of the high number of DUIs that are reported up here.

That'd be my fear -- drunk drivers will take the county roads to avoid the divided highway. With no shoulder, there's no where to go. It would take just one looped pick-up...

For lighting, Realcyclist has many Light & Motion lights right now that pump out a pleasing 300 lumens each. Not cheap, but bright.

sc53
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't do it.....period. Mix it up with 65-70- MPH trafic at night....no way. If you do, make sure your life insurance is plentiful. Just too many cyclists get hit at night....no matter what lights you use.

And in Minot, ND, ......after dark.....I start shivering just thinking about it. Anchorage Alaska is probably warmer.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's just not worth it. Being seen at night on a long straight high-speed road--just too risky. How many threads do you read on here about cyclists being run down from behind? Too many distracted clueless drivers out there, and at midnight on a 4-lane road they're just not going to be expecting to have to look out for a cyclist. Pick another way and time to ride, or pick another form of exercise/cross-training while you have this assignment. You will live to ride, somewhere else, another day.

schwa86
05-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Will leave the "is it safe" discussion to others (but agree with all comments about lots of lights, really like my dynahub).

My solution to the work clothes issue (I have to wear a suit) is:

http://www.twowheelgear.com/

It has held up for 8,000 miles of commuting (and counting) pretty well.

93legendti
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Is there a route that is safer/easier if you were to drive part way and then commute from that point?

moose8
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
If possible, I'd recommend doing a few test rides on a day off during the day - just to get a feel for the routes. Try all possible combos and see what you like the best. It also takes a bit of the time stress off when you are actually commuting and need to be at work at a certain time because you will have a real sense of how much time it will take rather than a best guess.

For night I'd echo what others say - good lights, lots of reflective tape, maybe some of those flatproof Schwalbe Marathon Extreme tires with a reflective sidewall.

tannhauser
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I'd consider: if there are shoulder rumble strips on the 4 laner.
The amount of distracted driving going on.
The number of cars that drift.
The number of bars inhibited in the area during the middle of the day.
Meth lab proximity.
Etc.

Peter P.
05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Drive your uniform(s) in on Monday and drive them home on Friday. That covers the drunk driving issue, too.

Use the locker option to stash your boots and whatever else you'll need. More the better if you can store your toiletries in there as well. Plan to keep extra gear in your locker in case you forget something at home-like your hat, I.D, or rain gear. If your base has a gym, you might get permission to commandeer a locker there.

Check your local laws for what's required for night riding, then exceed it. I'm a big fan of reflective clothing and tape on the bike because there are no batteries to die. Amphipod makes the most breathable, lightweight reflective vests. Reflective tape goes on the helmet, wheels, fenders, crankarms, and elsewhere. If you want the bike to "Un-Fredly" during the day, you can get colors to blend in with silver, and even black components. Identi-tape.com (http://www.identi-tape.com/index.html) is THE source for reflective tape.

If you use 2 taillights, separate them by a distance i.e., mount one on the seat bag and one on your helmet.

Some people need to shower when they arrive at work; some don't-a cleanup at the sink with some paper towels may do. I used to have a spray bottle filled with Witch Hazel. Deodorant, comb; it'll be like a little medicine cabinet in your locker that'll grow slowly with time.

Practice your route, and your parking and clothes changing, first on a weekend during low traffic hours. That'll help you get comfortable with the traffic levels as well as iron out any problems. You'll run into some difficulties and learn to solve them as you progress.

Since you know you're heading to work every day, find a place to lock your bike and leave the lock there to save weight, plus it's a drag if you forget it home. Use a combination lock so you don't worry about forgetting your key, or leave a spare key in your locker. If you cringe at riding your expensive bikes to work, then buy something that fits but is expendable.

It's possible one of your 2 routes will be better during some parts of the day versus others.

dustyrider
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd ask why the heck are you moving off base?
There ain't nothing around there and, I mean nothing!
A quick Google map combined with street view has me thinking I'd sooner eat glass than live anywhere near there, but I'm sure your doing a service that has a just cause.
If it's for all of us THANK YOU, ND does not look fun....

Sounds like sound advice coming in on all fronts.
I love commuting and repetition works so here goes.

Do the homework, make each ride a couple times, at different times to get the general feel for it.

For sure, leave the work clothes and boots in the locker, sounds smart to avoid Friday nights at all costs, this could be the day you resupply the locker.
Along these lines some type of freshening up kit, deodorant, baby wipes for the never regions...I eat a lot when I commute, so a food cache is nice to have.

A nice bright light, that is not aimed at the driver's eyes, shining in both directions.I have a DiNotte 140 rear, it's spendy but you're not going to not see me!
I have an older set of blackburn head lights for the front.
Believe it or not when you can see well, on the bike, you're usually riding in the most dangerous time. So something with a strobe works wonders for traffic during dusk and dawn hours.
Be aware of the sun in driver's eyes as well, though with a N/S route you don't have to worry about that too much.
In the daylight hours wear bright colors, nothing that blends with that "lovely" back drop you're living in! :eek:

Reflective everything; tire side walls, something on a leg that is moving constantly, anywhere you can put the stuff makes it so much easier to be seen in no light and low light.

Timing is crucial; a killer head wind or a flat/mechanical needs to be planned for. I carry most everything I need, unless it's a catastrophic failure, in which case I pull out the cell.

I like to give myself time to cool down on the bike since clothes dry much faster on your body then they do hanging.
Although with a locker you could presumably keep a set for your return trip. I've never worn full kit cycle gear, I prefer liners with a chamois so I can wear whatever is needed to be comfortable in the elements. Layers made of natural fibers.

Some food for thought; since you're into the off road thing and not flat out speed maybe you could figure out some type of cut through those fields.
I mean the farmers must get around some how. Are there irrigation canals?
Those make great corridors.
Although, I guess you're likely to get the ole' "stay off my grass" mentality. But man you're giving up so much already I'd think if anyone should get a pass it's you!
If you do take 83 maybe get your self an American flag on a big old whip, that ought to buy you the respect you deserve out there.

Things happen everyday, I'm sure you know that by now, as long as you're enjoying life there isn't really anything more you can do. Of course, be smart and try to ride safe, so hopefully you can just think about riding that bike how you like!

John M
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Minot, ND. Can't imagine commuting by bike in the winter there. In summer, the days should be long with plenty of daylight since it so far north. Agree with using bright lights, even in the day time for extra visibility. For me, anything longer than 5 miles or so requires riding in proper cycling gear, so for that commute, I would at least wear proper shorts/bibs.

As far as traffic goes, I can't imagine anything there seeming to be high volume traffic compared to urban commuting.

Good luck and enjoy.

A1CKot
05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm getting a better idea of how to safely and reliably pull this off. I've been at Minot AFB for almost 2 years now and have ridden 83 without incident but never at night. The side of the road has rumble strips but the shoulder is always very dirty. I have a fair idea of the traffic that most of the roads see. So today is my moving day and I took some time to drive the rt 19 route and I found something...

It is a abandonment railroad converted into a recreational path.
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/random%20stuff/IMG_0237.jpg
But it looks like this for part of the way
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/random%20stuff/IMG_0238.jpg
it is the road looking path on the left
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/random%20stuff/IMG_0236.jpg
The rocks get smaller the closer I got town- ignore my finger.
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/random%20stuff/IMG_0239.jpg
And it fairly far off the road
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/A1CKot/random%20stuff/IMG_0240.jpg

I think this might be the safe way to travel. Although those rocks are fairly big. Maybe to big for the cyclocross bike. Would it be a waste of time to clear a smooth path the entire 10 miles? Maybe convert my MTB to a front fat bike? I've ridden the rt 19 route with my cross bike on the road and it took just over an hour with a cool down and in strong cross/head wind conditions. I would like to keep it close to that. Please keep the great advice coming.

tannhauser
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
If you can clear a path why not? The big rocks are the problem, the little ones don't need to go. Before you do anything to your bike just ride it - it'll give you a clearer idea of what is necessary.

If there is indeed very little traffic at night consider just stopping and moving off the road. Again it can't hurt.

I'd also drive the routes at least a couple of more times, imagining trouble spots. No need to rush this.

fourflys
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I think if you put the fattest tires that will fit on your cross bike, you'll be fine...

Louis
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I think you need a Pug.

http://thelazyrando.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/jcruz.jpg?w=510&h=382

A1CKot
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I think you need a Pug.

I have thought about a fat tire bike and almost pulled the trigger on one. I just have too many bikes right now to justify having another. Hmmm. Trade my Waterford for a fat tire bike... I would make winter more fun though.

Anyhow. I stopped by the LBS today and got the low down on that trail. As the sign says, its county owned. The county had/has plans to used recycled asphalt to pave the entire 10 miles and connect the town to the base. But the great flood of 2011 that nearly took Minot off the map kind of screwed those plans. I asked on of the shop employees, that is on the city parks and trail board, if it was cool if I cleared the path up to make it more ride-able. It was funny. They actually encouraged me to do it. I think I'll ride it during the week and see what up and if its bad make plans to spend the next weekend or 2 making it work.

Peter P.
05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
If that trail is your key to a safe commute, then selling one bike to get an appropriate tool for your needs is ABSOLUTELY the solution. You wouldn't bring a touring bike to a road race, right? So you need the right bike for your application.

First, try your 'cross bike with your existing tires. If that doesn't work, try wider tires. Only when you're not satisfied with that solution should you consider a mountain bike with wide road tires. You can get rid of any suspension; it's just wasted weight. Set the bike up with low, flat bars and bar ends and the bike'll be fast yet able to handle that trail.

Here's my old ATB with 1.5" tires suited for D2R2. Possibly just the ticket you need.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2668/3757629963_83b6b5fa7a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/3757629963/)

Louis
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
You can get rid of any suspension; it's just wasted weight.

Even for the section with those huge honking fist-sized rocks? (well, maybe not that big, but you know what I mean).

Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue - I bet the total vertical change on that route is less than 100' each way.