PDA

View Full Version : Driving fast with a roof rack

FastforaSlowGuy
05-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I notice that at highway speeds (65-75 mph) my bike wobbles a bit on the roof rack. The rack is solid, and the bike is locked down, so I think it is just the wind buffeting it around a bit within the range of flex that is inherent in the system. It seems like bikes aren't made for quite this kind of stress, are they? Any chance that in gusty conditions and highway speeds a bike (carbon frame) could incur structural damage from the stress?

azrider
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
no

dustyrider
05-06-2012, 09:14 PM
What kind of rack are you using?

Steve in SLO
05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Damage to your bike by wobbling in a rack would be exceedingly rare.
Just don't drive into the garage...you know.
I have driven lots of miles with bikes on the rack with them moving around quite a bit...no problems.

TMB
05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
There are two ways your bike can be damaged on a roof rack;

1). You do something stupid and drive into something, or

2) Y ou don't tighten the fork clamp tight enough to hold the bike securely. It needs to be TIGHT!!

MattTuck
05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
The biggest threat to your bike at those speeds are the insects that will provide a little extra texture to front facing surfaces.

rwsaunders
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
The biggest threat to your bike at those speeds are the insects that will provide a little extra texture to front facing surfaces.

These work to keep the bugs off as well as the dew on early morning drives.

http://www.bikewagon.com/scicon-bike-defender-lycra-bike-bra.html

fuzzalow
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Yakima roof rack, fork mounted. Regularly up to 80mph. No problem.

Never tried one of those bike-ssieres as it seems it counter-intuitive to put a piece of clothe that looks like a sail and stick it into a 130 knot gale. That should last about 20 minutes. My bikes laugh at bug splats.

FixedNotBroken
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
These work to keep the bugs off as well as the dew on early morning drives.

http://www.bikewagon.com/scicon-bike-defender-lycra-bike-bra.html

I bought one of these, but I don't know where the hard rubber parts at the end of the fork mount..not inside the clamp right?

Also, I've driven thousands of miles with my bike on top..through Washington, Oregon, California, Canada, etc...you're fine as long as it's tight in the fork mount.

FixedNotBroken
05-06-2012, 10:51 PM

Never tried one of those bike-ssieres as it seems it counter-intuitive to put a piece of clothe that looks like a sail and stick it into a 130 knot gale. That should last about 20 minutes. My bikes laugh at bug splats.

Bugs are easy to clean off..haha it's the rocks that are annoying. I've seen bikes that have rock chips on them from being on top.

TMB
05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I bought one of those bike bra things once, it lasted less than a three day drive before it shredded in the wind.

As I said recently in another thread, I cover the tubes with pipe insulation. It's cheap, covers completely, protects the bike, keeps it clean and doesn't shredding the wind.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a lycra bra for my bike made by Dirtbag Sport products (maybe no longer made?) and have driven about 5K miles with it. I have never had any problems with it. It has been road tested at speeds higher than most. No flapping/noise, etc. Bike arrives clean, bugs get shaken off the bra, done.

pdmtong
05-06-2012, 11:53 PM

Generally, no problem. However on one trip from CA to OR we went through Klamath Falls. Bugs and gnats everywhere. Every frontal area of my bike, including cables was splattered. It was GROSS.

Bikes now inside or on a thule T2 in back. Problem solved!

80mph roof rack no problem. Fork QR must be tight.

Kirk007
05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
note that Yakima now warns not to use their fork mounted systems with forks lacking lawyer lips. I've had bikes with steel forks, without tabs, get jolted loose on big bumps. The second time was after I had retightened the mount to where it was very hard to close. I no longer use that type of mount with forks that don't have the tabs as extra security (which is two of my road bikes).

PoppaWheelie
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Ha...I have one of these too...never actually seen a second on out in the while. They sure get some looks.

FYI, I historically have had NO trouble with mine but one day, while driving 70 into a headwind on Hwy 5 (as I've done dozens of times) my bike came free at the fork. Luckily, no damage to the bike or the car...crazy 15 seconds of panic and remarkably not a scratch. Then my buddy, traveling a few miles behind me had the EXACT same thing happen at the same spot on the freeway, a few minutes later. Totally freak coincidence? His bike was clamped in there tightly too (we did check). Unfortunately, his Sachs 25th anniversary flipped and went through the back window of his brand new station wagon.

Anyway, I only use my Dirtbag now on bikes that still have lawyer tabs.

I have a lycra bra for my bike made by Dirtbag Sport products (maybe no longer made?) and have driven about 5K miles with it. I have never had any problems with it. It has been road tested at speeds higher than most. No flapping/noise, etc. Bike arrives clean, bugs get shaken off the bra, done.

TMB
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
This is what I do for the bike on a roof rack, no damage and bike arrives clean.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1123782&postcount=39

and here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1123957&postcount=48

velotel
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Back when I had a fast car and drove fast, I used to drive across Italy with my bike clamped in a Yakima rack. Speeds were usually 100 to 120 mph, never a problem. I think I never crossed over 120 just to be on the safe side. Don't remember any bugs on the bike. Maybe too pulverized.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
I will never have to worry about my bike going that fast. I think a lot of things other than my bike would fall off before my car reached 120 mph.

Hawker
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
YES..roof racks can do major damage to your bikes. I know. However, it generally also involves a garage or the overhang at the lobby of a Holiday Inn.