PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Niobium Decal Question

rhump
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I purchased a NOS 2008 (steel/carbon stays) Fierte from my LBS awhile back and received all of the original documentation, etc. The one thing that bugged me is that for whatever reason the bike did not have the Serotta Niobium decal that I've seen on similar Fiertes. I've looked on EBay and they do sell a generic Columbus Niobium decal, but I really wanted the original Serotta one. Does anyone know where I could acquire one or if there was a reason they were left off for this year?

Thanks for your time,

Rob

oliver1850
05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Probably only available from Serotta. Unfortunatley Serotta doesn't seem to be very cooperative about selling decals.

EricEstlund
05-07-2012, 01:05 AM
If it was NOS and didn't come with the decal, why add one? Wouldn't that be bringing it back to something it wasn't?

oliver1850
05-07-2012, 01:57 AM
All the steel Serottas I've seen have seen have had a tubing sticker. I'd guess the OP's Fierte should have had one, but for whatever lame reason left the factory without one. I have a Colorado that should have had a Colorado Concept tube sticker, but left the factory with an SP sticker. There's not an SP tube in the main triangle except perhaps the head tube, but that's what they slapped on it. To me, it's a flaw, even though it doesn't affect the use of the bike any more than a dent in the top tube. Only slightly less annoying.

rhump
05-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I realize it is being somewhat picky but like Oliver stated most of the steel Serottas have them and I just thought it would be neat to have one as well. Love the bike but was just hoping that someone might have a source or extra decal laying around.

Thanks again,

Rob

BumbleBeeDave
05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
. . . available to owners any more. The reason I was given was that some individuals were buying decals, then using them to sell fake Serottas.

BBD

William
05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
. . . available to owners any more. The reason I was given was that some individuals were buying decals, then using them to sell fake Serottas.

BBD

Kind of lame since anyone with moderate skills in Photoshop/Illustrator/or similar programs and has access to a vinyl plotter/printer can make them. There is a guy on another forum who makes them to order cheap...and they're good (I'm not saying he does Serotta stickers, just using him as an example). Send him a picture and it's a done deal.

William

rhump
05-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks..PM sent

BumbleBeeDave
05-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Kind of lame since anyone with moderate skills in Photoshop/Illustrator/or similar programs and has access to a vinyl plotter/printer can make them. There is a guy on another forum who makes them to order cheap...and they're good (I'm not saying he does Serotta stickers, just using him as an example). Send him a picture and it's a done deal.

William

. . . most of those company logos/scripts are probably trademarked, if he does it long enough he may be in for some interesting legal communications. sooner or later one of the companies will find out.

While what you say about duplication is technically true, there's no reason for the company to assist people by selling them the real thing. It's IP and they may do as they please with it. You and I may be able to look at most bikes and tell whether it's a "real" Serotta but many cannot.

BBD

William
05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
. . . most of those company logos/scripts are probably trademarked, if he does it long enough he may be in for some interesting legal communications. sooner or later one of the companies will find out.

While what you say about duplication is technically true, there's no reason for the company to assist people by selling them the real thing. It's IP and they may do as they please with it. You and I may be able to look at most bikes and tell whether it's a "real" Serotta but many cannot.

BBD

I don't disagree with you Dave, just pointing out that it's kind of like trying to hold back a river with your hands with today's technology.

I also agree that the guy could get himself into some trouble if he dupes trademarked material and someone wants to go after him.

William

coolplanetbikes
03-25-2016, 04:57 AM
Are you still looking for this decal? I think that I may have one.