PDA

View Full Version : Floor pump recommendation

ifouiripilay
05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I generally don't spend a lot of cash on a floor pump and have gotten burn by my last 2 purchases. One from performance and another from chain love. The inaccurate pressures are getting on my nerves amount other things.

What do you use and where can I get it at a decent price?

4Rings6Stars
05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I've seen negative reviews, but I have nothing negative to say about my cheap Pedros...Has worked great for years and is consistent.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Domestique-Floor-Bicycle-Pump/dp/B000IZEHDS/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1336276831&sr=1-2

But this is where I would spend my $ if I was buying a new one (and on somewhat of a tight budget).

http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Classic-Floor-Drive-Pump/dp/B001UIX40Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336276758&sr=8-2

CaptStash
05-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I've seen negative reviews, but I have nothing negative to say about my cheap Pedros...Has worked great for years and is consistent.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Domestique-Floor-Bicycle-Pump/dp/B000IZEHDS/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1336276831&sr=1-2

But this is where I would spend my $ if I was buying a new one (and on somewhat of a tight budget).

http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Classic-Floor-Drive-Pump/dp/B001UIX40Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336276758&sr=8-2

I have a love/hate relationship with my Pedro's pump. I hate it because I literally have to jump on it to pump tires up to 100 psi, but I love it because it fits in my S&S case.

My ever suffering wife bought me this Joe Blow (http://www.rei.com/product/648090/topeak-joeblow-pro-floor-pump) for Hanukkah. It rocks.

CaptStash....

Louis
05-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I'd say Joe Blow if you want to keep the cost down (mine has been great) or Lezyne if you want to spend a bit more. (I've never used one, but have heard good things about them on this forum.)

dustyrider
05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I've had this one for a few years now and it hasn't done any of the bad things that the domestiques that I've seen have done!

http://www.pedros.com/pump_prestige.htm

I don't like the lezyne stuff cause of all the unscrewing and screwing.

I'd say most pump's gauges are going to be inaccurate, that's just my experience maybe somebody knows of one that is.
If you're an ubber precise sorta person get yourself a separate gauge.

A LBS should be able to get you a pump of your choice.

FixedNotBroken
05-05-2012, 11:25 PM

I have an old school Silca that I love but other than that I use a Pedros Prestige..nothing negative to say about it either!

fuzzalow
05-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Silca. 25 years and counting. Replace the leather pump piston every 5 years. Can still get spare parts to keep it going.

Any pump for a decent price isn't really a decent price if its service life is measured in the numbers of tires it pumped up rather than the number of years it lasted.

Louis
05-06-2012, 12:04 AM
A warning about the Silca chuck: It may drive you nuts. At least mine did to me, which is why I have a perfectly functional Silca (except for the chuck) down in the basement workshop. I only use it when I'm doing repairs.

The chuck uses friction on a rubber washer to stay on the valve stem. But in order for the chuck to stay on under pressure the friction force has to be so high that it's a huge PITA to remove it when you're done. Some folks don't have the problem. Other do.

thinpin
05-06-2012, 02:03 AM
A warning about the Silca chuck: It may drive you nuts. At least mine did to me, which is why I have a perfectly functional Silca (except for the chuck) down in the basement workshop. I only use it when I'm doing repairs.

The chuck uses friction on a rubber washer to stay on the valve stem. But in order for the chuck to stay on under pressure the friction force has to be so high that it's a huge PITA to remove it when you're done. Some folks don't have the problem. Other do.

Same experience here. So much so after 10 years I got jack of it (only really worked with smooth valve stems) and bought the Leyzne classic. Excellent pump and great little connector thingy.

vqdriver
05-06-2012, 02:27 AM
I'd say Joe Blow if you want to keep the cost down (mine has been great)

+1

Pro version for me. Rebuildable and reliable
I don't need any fancy chucks or a CNCd body. Just a normal pump that works well

esldude
05-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Lezyne. Seems a bit expensive until you use it. Then it seems cheap.

Someone said they didn't like all the screwing and unscrewing. Well okay, then great. But it makes for a nice non-stressful connection that doesn't leak. Doesn't leak any significant amount of air dis-connecting and none connecting. Plus in a few seconds it works equally well for Schrader or Presta.

The Lezyne is a real pump and most of the others are cheap, flimsy attempts at convincing you that you have a pump. Some even go pretty far at being successful. You want a real pump, buy Lezyne.

uber
05-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Silca gets my vote too. Use only smooth (non threaded) Presta valves, and the rubber grommet in the chuck seems to last a long time. The threaded valves will wear out the grommet faster.

Rueda Tropical
05-06-2012, 06:29 AM
SKS Rennkompressor

Liv2RideHard
05-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I have a specialized pump that I have been using now for several years without any issues. I actually want it to break so I can buy something new but it just won't die. My kids cant even break it. If I were in the market...Silca or Lezyne.

nighthawk
05-06-2012, 06:37 AM
They call it a "women's" floor pump... (because it is pink)... but I'm a big fan of this:

Serfas Women's Bicycle Floor Pump (http://www.sunandski.com/Serfas_WFP_200_Floor_Pump_p/7752064550615.htm?click=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7752064550615_0000000)

fuzzalow
05-06-2012, 08:06 AM
The chuck uses friction on a rubber washer to stay on the valve stem. But in order for the chuck to stay on under pressure the friction force has to be so high that it's a huge PITA to remove it when you're done.

Yes using a stock Silca chuck on threaded valve stems is a bother because the threads grab at the rubber washer in the chuck.

I've replaced the stock Silca chuck with a Tanaka pump head which was the expensive, complicated way around the problem. The simple solution was to use Michelin tubes which have unthreaded valve stems. But that approach is riddled with common sense which renders it oblivious to me.

ultraman6970
05-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Get anything, trash the stock valve chuck and put a silca one instead. The pump will last forever that way. The valve chuck is the secret even if the pump is one of the non expensive ones.

bluesea
05-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a specialized pump that I have been using now for several years without any issues. I actually want it to break so I can buy something new but it just won't die. My kids cant even break it. If I were in the market...Silca or Lezyne.

Hahaha. I'd like to replace my perfectly serviceable 7 yo Air Tool Pro with a new one that has the bigger gauge. IIRC its wider so should push more cu. in. The chuck gives no reason for 2nd thought.

oldguy00
05-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Me too, bought a new Silca pump a few years ago, hated it.
Currently have a specialized which works well, and had a pedros a while ago that worked well.

Grant McLean
05-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I really like my Lezyne classic floor drive.

The head threads onto the valve like a presta adapter,
which works really well for me. I don't like any friction fit
type attachments, they wear out, just not my thing.

Just a note that the barrel can loosen from the base,
but all you have to do is twist it and it tightens up,
it's threaded on, not pressed or glued that has broken.

-g

http://thelazyrando.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/lpump1.jpg?w=510&h=382

rice rocket
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I returned the Silca as well. The pump head concept is pretty asinine in my opinion.:bike:

They call it a "women's" floor pump... (because it is pink)... but I'm a big fan of this:

Serfas Women's Bicycle Floor Pump (http://www.sunandski.com/Serfas_WFP_200_Floor_Pump_p/7752064550615.htm?click=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7752064550615_0000000)

They say they change the piston diameter as well so it's easier for women to pump.

I have the red, "unisex" version of this, and it's been 100% great.

Even better is the lifetime warranty, where you can walk into any LBS that's a Serfas dealer and they'll swap you a new one, no hassle.

VA-Scooter
05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I generally don't spend a lot of cash on a floor pump and have gotten burn by my last 2 purchases. One from performance and another from chain love. The inaccurate pressures are getting on my nerves amount other things.

Lezyne pump is way better than anything I have used. It cost a bit more but is still not that much money. The chuck seems to be personal preference-It does take about 5 seconds longer per wheel. The quality of the pump part itself makes everything else look really flimsy. I really like my Lezyne.

DHallerman
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Lezyne. Seems a bit expensive until you use it. Then it seems cheap.

Someone said they didn't like all the screwing and unscrewing. Well okay, then great. But it makes for a nice non-stressful connection that doesn't leak. Doesn't leak any significant amount of air dis-connecting and none connecting. Plus in a few seconds it works equally well for Schrader or Presta.

I also don't like the Lezyne chuck screwing and unscrewing.

The Topeak chuck is far easier to attach, also doesn't leak, also works equally well for Presta or Schrader.

That's one reason I prefer the Topeak Joe Blow.

I also prefer the gauge on top, rather than at the bottom like with the Lezyne. Easier to read.

That said, I'm considering putting a Topeak chuck on the Lezyne floor pump I bought. That might be an excellent hybrid.

nighthawk
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I returned the Silca as well. The pump head concept is pretty asinine in my opinion.:bike:

They say they change the piston diameter as well so it's easier for women to pump.

I have the red, "unisex" version of this, and it's been 100% great.

Even better is the lifetime warranty, where you can walk into any LBS that's a Serfas dealer and they'll swap you a new one, no hassle.

Nice, I didn't know about the warranty.

I like the gauge being up by the handle, too.

pink isn't really my color.. I should've got red.

ifouiripilay
05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the response. I have a lower model serfas. I wasn't aware of the warrenty. Perhaps I'll try a warrenty exchange and trade up. If all else fails, I'll pick up a lezyne.

Matt-H
05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Lezyne fan here. I purchased the same model as Grant, on sale, at REI for around $55.

1happygirl
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Timely thread, I had many helpful replies to my asking recently about floor pumps and the majority stated Specialized.
As Livt2ridehard said about the Specialized, they are waiting for theirs to break to buy another one. I bought the Specialized Pro on sale at the recommendation of the forum. I hope I have the same success with mine to never break.
Had a Silca and some peeps like. All I can say is I was asking for recommends and I bought another pump. 'Nuff said. My Silca was almost brand new. looking for it whenever I go home to my folks to dispose of.

FlashUNC
05-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Lezyne, Lezyne, a thousand times Lezyne.

Easily the best pump out there.

Viper
05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
+5 on the Lezyne Classic. For $35.00 you can buy a cheesy pump or for an Eastwood...a Few Dollars More...you spend $55.00 and get a pump that'll last a long time.

mike p
05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
How does the lezyne work on a deep carbon wheel with a valve extender?

Mike

thwart
05-06-2012, 07:09 PM
I was so dang impressed with a Lezyne low end pump (no screw on chuck on this particular one) that when a big online sale came up, I bought a Classic as well...

My low end model has served me well for over 4 yrs of heavy use, still looks and acts new... so the Classic sits forlorn in the corner. :rolleyes:

Elegant stuff that works extremely well and is durable.

Have had no problem inflating smooth valve extender fitted Vittorias on Reynolds MV32's...

NextTime
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I've had really good luck with the SKS Airbase Pro.

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Airbase-Bicycle-Floor-Pump/dp/B0019HMY7K

neiltron
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Another recommendation here for the Lezyne classic. I love mine - it looks classy, works great and is reliable. I also prefer the screw-on chuck.

oldguy00
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

The head threads onto the valve like a presta adapter,
which works really well for me. I don't like any friction fit
type attachments, they wear out, just not my thing.

Just a note that the barrel can loosen from the base,
but all you have to do is twist it and it tightens up,
it's threaded on, not pressed or glued that has broken.

-g

Probably a dumb question, but...
Do all valves on tubular tires have the threads required for the Lezyne to attach to??

ajz07
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
specialized air tool pro has served me extremely well. Have lezyme mini pumps on my bikes that I love, just never found one to buy in the store...and for some reason I like buying my pumps in person.

ifouiripilay
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Does anyone know where I can get an adapter for presta valves for my air compressor? Not for my road bike but for my mt bike ust wheelset.

VA-Scooter
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Do all valves on tubular tires have the threads required for the Lezyne to attach to??

I think they are the same threads the valve cap screws onto.

Grant McLean
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM

good question. Not all valve extensions have threads, in fact many don't.
But it's easy enough to use an adapter on the pump by threading the schrader
side onto one of these adapters if you like the rubber friction type heads.

-g

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/medium/sks-presta-valve-adaptor-for-tp11-track-pump-pp29-IMG18535.jpg

pcxmbfj
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
good question. Not all valve extensions have threads, in fact many don't.
But it's easy enough to use an adapter on the pump by threading the schrader
side onto one of these adapters if you like the rubber friction type heads.

-g

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/products/medium/sks-presta-valve-adaptor-for-tp11-track-pump-pp29-IMG18535.jpg

Came upon this thread while researching pumps because my Lezyne twist valve head removes the valve core from my Bontrager tubeless wheels.
Lezyne customer service was sending the new pushon head but this will work in the meantime.

Frankwurst
10-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a Blackburn TPS-2 that i've used since the 80's with no problems. Still works. Rusty and... well it looks as old as it is. I just bought a Joe Blow simply because I wanted a pump in the garage and one in the basement. But I'm not the rider that inflates his tires every ride and tend to go more by feel than actual gauge readings. If the Joe Blow lasts as long as the Blackburn has it'll be the last pump I buy in this lifetime.:beer:

Ti Designs
10-31-2012, 05:32 PM
I've got no upper body strength to speak of, and I'm lazy. My pump is a 4HP compressor with a 20 gallon tank. I do have a hand valve with a specialized smart head and hose attached, and it's got a digital gauge.

CaliFly
10-31-2012, 05:33 PM
I've tried all kinds and wound up with a Lezyne Classic with the slip chuck...really nice.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/floor-pumps/accessories#!slip-chuck

bikinchris
10-31-2012, 07:10 PM

For my own use, I have a 36 year old Silca pump. I also have used many different pumps and have settled on the Pedros pump for use when I mechanic to support multi day rides. With 350 riders, they need to be pumps that are not only tough, but ones that most people know how to use.
I also put out Silca pumps for those who know how to use them. using Silca pumps is not rocket science. You just have to let the air slip by the chuck before trying to take it off of the valve.

pdmtong
10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
How do you guys test the accuracy of the guage on a given floor pump?

My Blackburn Air Tower 5 two-stage is still working fine.

rustychisel
10-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Silca. Old and reliable. Don't piss around with anything else. Screw the brass head off and you get a Schraeder pump. Replace the rubber grommet/seal every 3 years or so...

Got a tip for you. Take out the rubber seal/grommet occasionally, clean it, then smear inside and out with petroleum jelly. Don't use grease. Last time I couldn't find the Petroleum Jelly so I used Dr Lucas Paw Paw Cream, works like a champ, whatever.

It seals the valve stem properly and provides lubrication - seriously.
I'm surprised you didn't know about lubricating your shaft at your age. :)

mtechnica
10-31-2012, 11:05 PM
The old silca pumps are a pain in the ass to keep upright, read, and pump with the crappy handle. The chuck works consistently but it slightly annoying. The rebuildability makes it worth it. Lezynes on the other hand have better handles, a more stable base, and a different chuck. You'll probably have to loc tite some valve stems and keep some around for when other people use it, because it has a tendency to unscrew the valve stem which is annoying. Then, also, the plastic ring (if you have one with the plastic ring) that the chuck threads into is prone to breaking. I replaced mine with an aftermarket brass chuch a la silca for better reliability. Not sure how long the lezyne internals last but when I tried getting ahold of lezyne 1.) they never responded, and 2.) their parts diagrams and tech documents are quite poor so it's really difficult to tell what's what if you're looking for spares.

Just my experience. I have two lezynes and a silca, and have used a fair amount of other pumps all of which I deem inferior to lezynes and silcas overall.

slidey
10-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Specialized AirTool Sport works fine for me.

jr59
11-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Lezyne for me!

3 years with no problem. Just solid.

LO^OK
11-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Sooooo elegant, it almost made me envious ;) My SKS Airbase Pro http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Airbase-Bicycle-Floor-Pump/dp/B0019HMY7K looks, well, a bit kitsch by comparison (talk about clichés, Gallic vs Teutonic taste...). Otherwise the Airbase is well made substantial construction with accurate gauge, and I have no hesitation to recommend it. The only flaw (a minor one I admit): it leaks a bit too much air when removing the chuck from the valve.

P.S. For me was important to have the gauge in the upper part of the pump instead at foot level where most have it because I am with not very good sight and have a difficulty to read it there.

everbeek
11-01-2012, 05:48 AM

You have the outer brass covering (covers the rubber grommet) screwed too tight). This is adjustable to make it easier to slide off of the valve stem. There is a fine line between too loose and too tight but it makes all the difference. Smooth valve stems are easier to work with though.

My Zefal (made by SKS I think) is going on 20 years with just a hose replacement. I cut off the original chuck to put the Silca head on there because it is so much faster, simpler and easier than any other head I have seen. It also has foldable feet which makes packing/travel easier.
-Mike

cnighbor1
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
to avoid inaccurate pressures from your floor pump buy a good bike tire gage. Get pressure close and check using tire gage. add or substrate air has needed

thinpin
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Lezyne is the new Silca.
My old Silca is now wall art.

559Rando
11-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I went through some pump research a few months ago.

I decided that I'd buy something that was either lifetime warrantied and/or rebuildable and had a bleed valve. I ended up with the top-of-the-line orange Serfas. I think it's $50-60 depending where you go.

Really, it was a toss up between that, a Silca and the SKS. I went with the Serfas to support local business.

I've been meaning to get a Meiser Accu-Gauge, which is only about $15, but as I understand it, is a great, accurate tire gauge.

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
silca. 25 years and counting. Replace the leather pump piston every 5 years. Can still get spare parts to keep it going.

Any pump for a decent price isn't really a decent price if its service life is measured in the numbers of tires it pumped up rather than the number of years it lasted.

+1

champ
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Silca

Brucer
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
This pump, called a Beto, has worked pretty well for me, and it cost $25 in Canada. Not sure if you can get one in the U.S.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Pumps/PRD~5024-690/beto-cycling-floor-pump-ii.jsp

Seramount
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
ok, I'll own up to having the lowest-rent pump...

bought a Nashbar Big Red Pump for $19 on sale several years ago.

still works well.

it's developed an interesting habit tho...at 100 psi, the chuck loses its grip on the valve and pops off.

so, now I don't even have to read the pressure gauge...just pump until it auto-releases.

wpod
11-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Have used my Silca for over 25 years...

Louis
11-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Have used my Silca for over 25 years...

I bet the rubber seal / friction washer in the chuck is not original... :crap:

559Rando
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I bet the rubber seal / friction washer in the chuck is not original... :crap:

But those are wear items. I vote for anything repairable/rebuildable/lifetime warrantied and am astonished I'm the only guy with the orange Serfas pump on this thread.

Llewellyn
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM

+ 1

I used one for a couple of years and always had trouble but just assumed I must have been doing something wrong because everyone else seemed to love them. I even pulled a valve stem out once trying to get the chuck off :eek:

fa63
11-26-2012, 08:15 PM
I love my Giant Control Tower 2. Nothing fancy and it was pretty cheap, but it works great.

pinoymamba
11-27-2012, 12:21 AM
http://campusbikeshop.com/images/library/large/top_joeblow_sport_1_07_m.jpg

i've been using this.

pcxmbfj
11-27-2012, 06:12 AM
The best pump I've found for all tires except those with removable cores is the Lezyne.
A removable core can be loosened when removing the threading chuck but for a high pressure tire the threading ensures a nice mate to the stem.

I use the Lezyne Sport Floor with its threading chuck for road and Topeak Joe Blow for mtb tires. I run mostly tubeless ready tires on trails.

I'd had the Lezyne for a year and just wasn't having success with it until I call customer service.

They send me a new one and I realized how it should work.

Have yet to find a pump that works well with all tires without requiring an adapter or extender for some.

oldguy00
11-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Thinking back, best floor pump I ever owned was a Zefal Double Shot. I don't know what ever happened to it, might be in storage somewhere at my parents house...
Looking at their webpage, it looks like they make a model called the 'Alaskan'. I think I'll probably look at that next time I need one!

http://www.zefal.com/en/floor-pumps/30-alaskan.html