PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Karsten dead

Frank
09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Didn't he do some commentary on the Tour de France telecasts?
=========
ESPN REPORTER SUICIDE

---------------------------------------------------------------------
September 5, 2005 -- FORMER ESPN reporter Adrian Karsten, facing a prison tax rap, was found dead, an apparent suicide, in his Wisconsin home, officials said yesterday. Cops declined to provide details but Karsten's ex-wife told The Post that investigators have labeled it a suicide.

Karsten pleaded guilty in July to failing to report about $607,000 in income he made as a sideline reporter for ESPN college football games between 1999 and 2002. He was sentenced to serve 11 months in prison and nine months home confinement.

He was supposed to report to a federal lockup in Rochester...

William
09-07-2005, 05:00 AM
Didn't he do some commentary on the Tour de France telecasts?
=========
ESPN REPORTER SUICIDE

---------------------------------------------------------------------
September 5, 2005 -- FORMER ESPN reporter Adrian Karsten, facing a prison tax rap, was found dead, an apparent suicide, in his Wisconsin home, officials said yesterday. Cops declined to provide details but Karsten's ex-wife told The Post that investigators have labeled it a suicide.

Karsten pleaded guilty in July to failing to report about $607,000 in income he made as a sideline reporter for ESPN college football games between 1999 and 2002. He was sentenced to serve 11 months in prison and nine months home confinement.

He was supposed to report to a federal lockup in Rochester...

I know he played third fiddle to Paul & Phil in the 1995 ESPN Tour coverage (back when ESPN used to give the Tour some good coverage). He did a pretty good job....in spite of the occasional Bermin-esque schlocky quips he'd throw out every once & a while.

William

LegendRider
09-07-2005, 06:33 AM
He did the ESPN coverage with Phil and Paul for a few years in the mid-90s. He was a college football guy, but it was clear he grew to love cycling and the Tour. I eventually came to appreciate his enthusiasm for the sport. In fact, I was at the 1994 Tour and recall him walking around Lourdes with his ESPN navy blazer and shorts because it was scorching hot...

RIP

Needs Help
09-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Here's a picture to refresh your memory of which reporter he was:

http://www.snydernews.net/archives/2005/09/adrian_karsten.html

Bill Bove
09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Man, to commit suicide rather than do 11 months. That doesn't make sense to me but I'm not in his shoes. I feel bad for his wife and kids.

KKevin
09-07-2005, 10:45 AM
do I feel guilty for all the bad things I said about him.