PDA

View Full Version : One less TG

regularguy412
05-05-2012, 06:52 PM
My Serotta TG has rolled its last. Last Wednesday, 5-2-12, I was hit from behind by a driver who was not paying attention. I am lucky. Lots of road rash and a left ear nicely repaired by the plastic surgeon. Every doc who saw me said they couldn't believe I had no broken bones (airborne across the roadway for about 20 feet). Funny part is, I still don't know who the guy was who hit me. The local Sheriff's Dept. doesn't have the paperwork finished yet. Supposed to pick that up on Monday.

The bike's left seat stay is badly kinked and the top tube is kinked in 2 spots where my knee hit it ( squeezed between the front of the vehicle and the bike frame). Have yet to figure out just exactly 'how' the back of my ear was sliced up when there is no damage to the 'visible' side. I suspect it was the helmet strap that tried to rip it off. At least the Giro helmet did its work and stayed in place, so I am able to write this to you now.

Gonna be off the bike a while. Be careful out there.

Mike in AR:beer:

martinrjensen
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Good luck on your recovery. do you think you will be off the bike for a while? fortunately I've hit more cars than have hit me and no real damage to either. Hope it heals fast!
Oh, I have to add "Pics or it didn't happen"My Serotta TG has rolled its last. Last Wednesday, 5-2-12, I was hit from behind by a driver who was not paying attention. I am lucky. Lots of road rash and a left ear nicely repaired by the plastic surgeon. Every doc who saw me said they couldn't believe I had no broken bones (airborne across the roadway for about 20 feet). Funny part is, I still don't know who the guy was who hit me. The local Sheriff's Dept. doesn't have the paperwork finished yet. Supposed to pick that up on Monday.

The bike's left seat stay is badly kinked and the top tube is kinked in 2 spots where my knee hit it ( squeezed between the front of the vehicle and the bike frame). Have yet to figure out just exactly 'how' the back of my ear was sliced up when there is no damage to the 'visible' side. I suspect it was the helmet strap that tried to rip it off. At least the Giro helmet did its work and stayed in place, so I am able to write this to you now.

Gonna be off the bike a while. Be careful out there.

Mike in AR:beer:

chuckroast
05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry to read this but glad that you are on the mend. Heal well.

akelman
05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
What size bike do you ride, Mike?

rwsaunders
05-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Don't let your friends call you Van Gogh...glad you're around to tell the story.

NRRider
05-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Glad you're OK enough to type that out. Heal quickly!

wc1934
05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident - hope you are up in ridding soon - rest and get well.

eippo1
05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Ouch. Getting hit from behind sounds like no fun. Hope you recover quickly

regularguy412
05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the kind words. You all gave me a chuckle.

As for the pix..well, I haven't got a pic of my TG yet, but I can add a very graphic pic of the back of my ear pre-stitching. The darker red part you see sticking out around the edge is actually the inner cartilage. Luckily, no need for any skin grafts. This pic was taken in the ER by my daughter. She is a Senior Nursing student. She does not work yet, but has been doing clinical rounds in OB and Med Surg. The stuff you see in the front of my ear on my face is just really bad road rash,, it's even up in my hairline. Got LOTS more on both arms and both legs. Takes me over an hour every night to re-dress the wounds and clean them up (soak in tub, light scrub with clean toothbrush and peroxide,, then slather with neosporin and re-bandage). UGH!

I ride a 56 square. Luckily, once again, my CSi with the EC90 SL's was at home and is unhurt. :)

Thank you all, again,

MIke in AR:beer:

Louis
05-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Bummer, but it's good to hear that you've made it without any major damage. Bikes are easy enough to replace. Bodies are not.

pedlpwrd
05-06-2012, 06:01 AM
That is one nasty ouwy! I am so sorry to hear of the demise of the TG! And of course, your injuries. I hope for you a quick mend and a good insurance payout to replace your beloved Serotta. I would literally die if that were to happen to me. And I ride on Long Island where every soccor mom has very long nails, a phone stuck to their ear and a vehicle too big for their needs. Lol.
I will think good thoughts your way buddy. Glad that gyro did it's job!
:banana: