PDA

View Full Version : Falling in and out of love.....

Bruce K
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
The more I ride my new Cannondale CAAD10 the less interested I am in riding my Serotta Ottrott ST.

In just a couple of weeks I am almost to the point of tearing the Ottrott down and selling the frame/fork.

It is a real toss-up whether I like the Meivici or the CAAD10 better.

I know some of it is newer technology (BB30, etc.) and the Meivici certainly is the bike I would pull for a century, but for a couple of hours riding with the local gang the CAAD10 has become the go-to bike for sure.

It is smooth, feels very efficient, and is just a hoot and a half to ride.

BK

Smiley
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Well now that Ben does not lurk around here anymore its good to cleanse your soul. I sold all my Serotta's in flavor of my Bedford's and not because I am in the tank for Kelly either, just like the ride much better.

Its good that your body can fit a C Dale but I did notice the statement about a couple of hours ride only :p

Bruce K
05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
The aluminum frame is WAY nicer than they used to be but it is definitely a firmer ride than the Meivici.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Meivici but maybe it's my tastes have changed since I bought the Ottrott almost 9 years ago.

BK

A1CKot
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm currently going through the same thing with my Waterford and Ottrott. I loved riding my Waterford and now it just kind of sits there looking pretty. I am way more cautious riding my Waterford over my Serotta for what ever reason and I think that is why it stays inside.

firerescuefin
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
The aluminum frame is WAY nicer than they used to be but it is definitely a firmer ride than the Meivici.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Meivici but maybe it's my tastes have changed since I bought the Ottrott almost 9 years ago.

BK

I've got a buddy that wanted to get into riding/racing...I spec'd him out an Ultegra'd Caad 10 at the LBS last week. He loves it. You can't beat that bike...best deal goin.

SoCalSteve
05-05-2012, 01:49 PM

BK

Funny, the more I ride my Ottrott, the more I find its my "go to" bike. I sold my Meivici and Look 595. I just ride the Ottrott so much more that it doesn't seem right to have all these high $$$ bikes sitting around collecting dust. Let others enjoy them...

All I have left to sell is the Hors Categorie and possibly the Kirk.

toosahn
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
What are the largest tires the Caad10 will fit?

FlashUNC
05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Caad 10's are pretty tough to beat for value.

Fixed
05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
For a racer you can't go wrong
Cheers :)
After nine years you want a sexy tart I understand totally

bocarider
05-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I am having a similar experience comparing my 7 year old Ottrott to the new Moots Vamoots CR with S&S couplers I got about 2 weeks ago.

I asked Moots to use my Serotta build sheet for geometry but build me a stiffer, racier bike. There is a noticeable difference and I am not sure I want to go back to the Ottrott. The Moots is definitely faster and lively but a bit rough over rougher road surfaces, which is to be expected without all of the carbon tubing to absorb the vibrations. While I have loved my Ottrott, the Moots may be replacing it. It may just be new bike-itiss, so I am going to give it a few months before I make a final decision.

What is the market value of a 7 year old, heavily used Ottrott?

Ralph
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Shucks.....my daily rider is a CAAD 5. I think it rides great on 700X25's. English BB perfectly faced fom factory, strong aluminum (not CF) steerer tube, doesn't rust under my sweat, CF fork etc. Bought it new for $260.

My only complaint is a slightly long (for me) TT for the 56 CM size.

William
05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
“If you love your frame, sell it in the classifieds. If it comes back to you, it's meant to be. If it doesn't, it never was.” ~Chinese Proverb

Or something like that...

;)
William

bobswire
05-05-2012, 03:10 PM
No one is sticking a gun to your head to sell the Ottrott ,so just hang it up for awhile.

alancw3
05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Caad 10's are pretty tough to beat for value.

yeah i would agree. my six13 was an awsome bike. say what you will about c'dale but they do get the job done imho.

dustyrider
05-05-2012, 03:34 PM
“If you love your frame, sell it in the classifieds. If it comes back to you, it's meant to be. If it doesn't, it never was.” ~Chinese Proverb

Or something like that...

;)
William

I was totally thinking this same thing, only you said it much better!

firerescuefin
05-05-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsk1A0tsSc

Rudy
05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm currently going through the same thing with my Waterford and Ottrott. I loved riding my Waterford and now it just kind of sits there looking pretty. I am way more cautious riding my Waterford over my Serotta for what ever reason and I think that is why it stays inside.

What size is your Waterford?

tuscanyswe
05-05-2012, 04:29 PM
If any of these ottrotts that isent beeing ridden has a tt of 58ish id love to talk about how great your other bikes are and that the serotta really isent all that. Just pm me!

onsight512
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Funny, the more I ride my Ottrott, the more I find its my "go to" bike. I sold my Meivici and Look 595. I just ride the Ottrott so much more that it doesn't seem right to have all these high $$$ bikes sitting around collecting dust. Let others enjoy them...

All I have left to sell is the Hors Categorie and possibly the Kirk.

If I may ask, what size is the Kirk?

A1CKot
05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
LOL this thread is getting funny. Maybe a title change to Frame Swap thread or something.

Ti Designs
05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
No one is sticking a gun to your head to sell the Ottrott ,so just hang it up for awhile.

OK, you would make the worst thug in the world. If you have a gun to someone's head, you don't ask them to sell you anything...

For a long time I've hinted at the idea that I was going to show up for some forum ride on a cheap bike and tear everyone's legs off just to make a point that it's not about the bike. Last year I got me a Specialized Allez for a number of reasons. First, it's about a pound lighter than my Serotta. Second, they did an amazing job on the new Allez frame. Third, it kinda fits me. I just like my Serotta better...

Bruce, I have a 54cm Allez frame with a Tarmac fork, if you want to trade.

jr59
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Don't even think about it! :no:

You will just hate yourself after it's done,
and it will be more $$$ to get them, or something close to them again.

tsarpepe
05-05-2012, 05:07 PM
For a long time I've hinted at the idea that I was going to show up for some forum ride on a cheap bike and tear everyone's legs off

EVERYONE's? Really? I've been known to hit 20 mph/h on the flats!

PBWrench
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
All you need is love.

And several bikes.

FlashUNC
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
OK, you would make the worst thug in the world. If you have a gun to someone's head, you don't ask them to sell you anything...

For a long time I've hinted at the idea that I was going to show up for some forum ride on a cheap bike and tear everyone's legs off just to make a point that it's not about the bike. Last year I got me a Specialized Allez for a number of reasons. First, it's about a pound lighter than my Serotta. Second, they did an amazing job on the new Allez frame. Third, it kinda fits me. I just like my Serotta better...

Bruce, I have a 54cm Allez frame with a Tarmac fork, if you want to trade.

Ive got a buddy caught in the spiral of carbon and weight weeny ism and things that generally don't matter all that much.

He's baffled I beat him in a town limit sprint on a steel bike with 27c tires.

Just doesn't seem to get its really not about the bike.

xeladragon
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Bought a CAAD10 5 yesterday. Stripped her down and dressed her back up today with parts off the Respo I just sold. Looking forward to my first ride!

sc53
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I absolutely love my Ottrott. I can't imagine selling it (well, it's also a 50 cm so not much market for it). I moved up to Serotta from Cannondales all through the 80's and early 90's. At my frame size, those Cannondales were HARSH on chipseal, potholes, rubble, etc.

Bruce K
05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Not ready to part with the Ottrott quite yet. I just said I was thinking about it.:cool:

It's still a nice ride but not as fun as the Meivici or the C'dale.

If I do decide to let it go it would go to someone of the 5'-8" +/- variety. the frame is a 50 ST X 53 TT with the standard Serotta HT extension. It was built on the stiff side to be a bit more responsive with a tube set designed for a 250# rider.

BK

azrider
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Glad to hear you're liking your 10 Bruce. I too am quite pleased with mine. I just couldn't wrap my head around why I was buying more and more expensive frames at end of each season and eventually ended up with a $10K bike (retail) that i was too afraid to even train on, let alone race!!

I've got about 1200 miles and a couple of races on my 10 so far and I'm stoked.

Bruce K
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
The CAAD10 may be one of the best bangs for the buck I've ever seen on the bike market.

Probably a bit of a hidden gem as well.

I've got about 200 miles do far so we'll see

BK

dancinkozmo
05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Ive got 25's on mine right now...looks like theres room for 28's , not much more

akelman
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I just put an Ottrott up for sale, and I'm already regretting it. That said, a buddy in our group ride has a SuperSix, and it's a really nice bike.

Ti Designs
05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
EVERYONE's? Really? I've been known to hit 20 mph/h on the flats!

OK, for you I'll bring the Sawzall...

1centaur
05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
It's not the Ottrot, it's you, Bruce. Your mentality about riding has gravitated to what the Cannondale is but you won't stay there. In fact, to keep the 'Dale love fresh you'll probably "need" to do slow solo recovery rides on the Ottrot, or use its extra heft to punish you on hill repeat days, or (fill in your psychological trick of choice).

When you own bikes with a range of weight, comfort, and stiffness, it's easy to find reasons to rotate between them.

harryblack
05-06-2012, 10:00 AM
definitely. CAAD 10 is a freakishly excellent bike-- I might wish it was still made in America but otherwise... Also freakishly excellent though more of a known quantity are the Hollowgram SL cranks, which I'd intended to sell (I bought another person's new/unridden build) and swap out for Campy but other than $$$, I can't see any reason to ditch 'em.

I've got maybe 3000 miles on with zero complaints though I've ridden AL (C'dale & Pegoretti) for years and know what to expect.

The CAAD10 may be one of the best bangs for the buck I've ever seen on the bike market.

Probably a bit of a hidden gem as well.

I've got about 200 miles do far so we'll see

BK

Bruce K
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
1C - Once again you have imparted great wisdom

You're probably right - it will fit in somewhere - especially because I can't stand to see one of the bikes sit around

As an aside, the crankset on this one is a SRAM Red BB30 that was a cast-off/spare from the Cannondale CyclocrossWorld pro team.

BK

happycampyer
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
1C - Once again you have imparted great wisdom <snip>it's funny, when I read 1centaur's comment earlier, I was going to say the same thing. The Ottrott is (generalizing) more "ahhhhhh" than "ooh ahh." I've come to the conclusion that a super stiff bike may feel fast, but I'm not actually going any faster (aero wheels yes, but that's a different discussion). A while back I sold off a bunch of stock race bikes that were just overkill for me and that ultimately weren't an ideal fit—Look 595, Cervelo R3-SL, Scott CR1 SL, an early Parlee Z3, etc. Ride quality and handling are the most important qualities for me, and I find that there is a lot of convergence (and overlap) with what's left, even though the bikes are built in a range of materials. Even with a MeiVici, a Crumpton SL and a Vamoots RSL, I still like how the Ottrott fits in.

It's like Mounds and Almond Joy—sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

likebikes
05-06-2012, 07:31 PM

700x28

Nooch
05-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Not ready to part with the Ottrott quite yet. I just said I was thinking about it.:cool:

It's still a nice ride but not as fun as the Meivici or the C'dale.

If I do decide to let it go it would go to someone of the 5'-8" +/- variety. the frame is a 50 ST X 53 TT with the standard Serotta HT extension. It was built on the stiff side to be a bit more responsive with a tube set designed for a 250# rider.

BK

funny, those are my exact requirements.... (first in line? ;))

so if that's how big you ottrot is, then the caad10 would be a 52cm?

at any rate, I'm sure after you put in the miles on the 10 and go back you'll feel what you got out of the ottrot in the first place..

Bruce K
05-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Yes it's a 52.

I'll keep you in mind but it might be awhile

I always said the Ottrott was my Jaguar and the
Meivici my Porsche/Ferrari. I guess I just bought a Lamborghini (at least a poor man's version)

BK

Ginger
05-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Your cannondale is a good bike if you're out on it more than you were on your Serotta.

Make up your mind, then give it a year Bruce, your Serotta won't depreciate any more than it already has, and if you get over your fling with the cannondale, it will still be waiting for you.

rodcad
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM
For a long time I've hinted at the idea that I was going to show up for some forum ride on a cheap bike and tear everyone's legs off just to make a point that it's not about the bike.

I was on a large organized ride benefitting some charity many years ago.....Was suffering greatly climbing a huge hill on my custom road bike when some yahoo on a huffy mtb (may have been a Roadmaster) past me like I was standing still. It's for sure NOT about the bike.

laupsi
05-07-2012, 07:59 AM
it is personal, the bike choice that is...

I recently raced my Cannondale Super Six; it got the job done but at the end of the day and actually on the very next day, I took my Ottrott out for a 3 hour stomp fest. hands down my Ottrott is my bike of choice. I started a thread a few weeks ago about my hesitation to race my Ottrott, well I have decided next weekend in a masters race my Ottrott will get the nod, feeling lucky already :banana:

echelon_john
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
That Huffy is a pretty sweet ride--I still have it!:banana:

I was on a large organized ride benefitting some charity many years ago.....Was suffering greatly climbing a huge hill on my custom road bike when some yahoo on a huffy mtb (may have been a Roadmaster) past me like I was standing still. It's for sure NOT about the bike.

veloduffer
05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I've been riding my new-to-me Moots Compact and really enjoying it. But I put on some new wheels (Boyd Vitesse) on my Ottrott and rode it last weekend. Man, still a great ride with just the right amount of stiffness and comfort.

It's an older Ottrott with the full titanium rear triangle and level top tube. When I bought my Parlee Z4, I was seriously thinking about selling the Ottrott to make the purchase a bit more palpable for the wallet. A few wise forumites counseled me to keep the Ottrott and even offered to take it off my hands if I did sell. I'm glad that I kept it -- it's a darn sweet bike and one of the best that Serotta has ever made.

tbike4
05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
When you own bikes with a range of weight, comfort, and stiffness, it's easy to find reasons to rotate between them.

Indeed. I need to figure out how to explain this to my wife. I love my CDale but do enjoy the Bianchi with SLX tubes and the etc.....

1centaur
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
"Having one bike is like having one handbag..."

veloduffer
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM

+1, I got to remember that line!!!

djg
05-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Geeze, I don't have any handbags but I have a couple of bikes or so. Really for my purposes, I want something for cross, and, you know, not that kind of cross.