PDA

View Full Version : Giro: SPOILER goes here

1happygirl
05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow. Went with Universal Coverage via net. It rocks just to have it.

What a ride by Phinney! This is so cool. Even not being the BMC team leader, that's a kid that worked hard and didn't give up.
(now I think it would be fun to fly over and follow the Giro, maybe more so than the Tour) What did you guys think?

Bruce K
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Too freakin' awesome!!!

Davis and Connie must be over the moon!

BK

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
The kid did great, the question is how does he climb??

As for the other GC guys, the only ones that did awesome were pinotti, KREUZIGER and Ballan??? all the other guys are way down down to 90th position, yes i know this is just starting... hope bmc gets something this time because they have been getting empty handed and almost everything.

Mike V
05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/383455_10150737989018247_27483848246_9246610_15574 10836_n.jpg

NextTime
05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
We'll be seeing that nice shot in some future ads.

bikerboy337
05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Was a great ride to see today... only problem was that I had to watch Eurosport to see it, and they are no Phil and Paul... Phil and Paul would have been going crazy, getting lots of great info on Davis and Bonnie... they did mention Davis, but didn't have their stats down at all, and didn't really even mention him as a contender for the stage until mid way through...

Great ride, lets hope he can keep it a few days, has a nice little lead!

Are there sprint bonuses in this years Giro? Its always confusing year to year, grand tour to grand tour....

It will be great to see him win more over the coming years! We've got some great yound talent making their way up, they're all about to start winning as they get to their mid 20's!:hello:

FlashUNC
05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
The kid did great, the question is how does he climb??

As for the other GC guys, the only ones that did awesome were pinotti, KREUZIGER and Ballan??? all the other guys are way down down to 90th position, yes i know this is just starting... hope bmc gets something this time because they have been getting empty handed and almost everything.

Not very well. He weighs about 185 or so. He's a big boy. America's answer to Fanian Cancellara if he plays his cards right.

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 03:41 PM
185??? darn thought he was just long and light but makes sense being a tracker before... well seen big guys climbing but compared with the other guys doubt he will do that good. Well this giro will be in stand by until next week with the 1st mountain stage.

MattTuck
05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Was a great ride to see today... only problem was that I had to watch Eurosport to see it, and they are no Phil and Paul... Phil and Paul would have been going crazy, getting lots of great info on Davis and Bonnie... they did mention Davis, but didn't have their stats down at all, and didn't really even mention him as a contender for the stage until mid way through...

Great ride, lets hope he can keep it a few days, has a nice little lead!

Are there sprint bonuses in this years Giro? Its always confusing year to year, grand tour to grand tour....

It will be great to see him win more over the coming years! We've got some great yound talent making their way up, they're all about to start winning as they get to their mid 20's!:hello:

Eurosport isn't so bad ;) You don't have to suffer through endless commercials. My only problem with the american-centric coverage from Phil and Paul is how they way over estimate the chances American riders, even when they aren't favorites... I'm sure the Eurosport guys will know a ton about Taylor within a few years.

Mike V
05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/525522_10150732242030723_261371855722_9917795_4754 36315_n.jpg

firerescuefin
05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Eurosport isn't so bad ;) You don't have to suffer through endless commercials. My only problem with the american-centric coverage from Phil and Paul is how they way over estimate the chances American riders, even when they aren't favorites... I'm sure the Eurosport guys will know a ton about Taylor within a few years.

I'm just thankful to not have to hear any more Lance Armstrong worship, from Paul, Phil, and Bobke.

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Hahaha... wait until the Tour, because if the team doesnt do cr@p now, i totally see the texan coming back... then 2 guys will end up in the madhouse and to finish phill and Paul will have like 5 more years of LA comments. Specially if by any circumstances the Texan does something epic like end top ten or winning a super mountain stage in a epic way. The guy besides not having the feeling of racing in a peloton (thing you never lose), has to be in almost top condition to race at least half tour w/o any problem.

Seriously, the DS has nothing to lose putting him for the TdF just to prove some points, like the doping allegations and that maybe he got stuck with the bros due to the fusion of teams. That DS dont take cr@p from anybody...

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Always wonder how in the world they paint the bike that fast... well i imagine they have a couple already painted??

I'm sure cippo sent at least one painted pink already, not!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/525522_10150732242030723_261371855722_9917795_4754 36315_n.jpg

tsarpepe
05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah, but they'd have to have one ready in each size, since they can't know who among their riders will end up with the Maglia Rosa. Doesn't make much sense.

victoryfactory
05-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm just thankful to not have to hear any more Lance Armstrong worship, from Paul, Phil, and Bobke.

I'll take Phil and Paul and company any day over those two snoozers on Eurosport.
They sounded totally uninspired disinterested and lacking any humor or
or life.
Yes it's true that P&P get overheated about certain US riders, that's because
they know where those commentaries are going (World Cycling DVDs, etc)

But you can't deny their love of the sport, knowledge and enthusiasm.

If you think commenting on a bike race while watching a couple of feeds on monitors
in a studio and doing a couple of different broadcasts at the same
time and making it sound interesting is easy, you try it.

I loved Phil Rizzuto too! You can have Vin Skully, boring

HOLY COW!

VF

retrofit
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Always wonder how in the world they paint the bike that fast... well i imagine they have a couple already painted??

I'm sure cippo sent at least one painted pink already, not!

Here is the backstory for Voeckler's yellow Colnago C59 quickly prepped after he claimed the Maillot Jaune during the 2011 TdF: Tour de France tech: Thomas Voeckler's Colnago C59 (http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tour-de-france-tech-thomas-voecklers-colnago-c59-30953/) (story and slideshow, rather than the video). Motivated bicycle sponsors are not about to miss a beat when it comes to showcasing their gear.

firerescuefin
05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I'll take Phil and Paul and company any day over those two snoozers on Eurosport.
or life.

If you think commenting on a bike race while watching a couple of feeds on monitors

HOLY COW!

VF

Hey I enjoy all three guys.....but the overstating of everything Lance did got very tired...especially at the end.

"Lance Armstrong ....may have just taken the greatest piss on the side of the road that we have ever witnessed" :help:

victoryfactory
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
"Lance Armstrong ....may have just taken the greatest piss on the side of the road that we have ever witnessed" :help:

I think I remember that! Bob Roll has a story where he needed
to "download" some extra data one time in the tdf. as he's
pulling up his shorts, he looks over and sees a family having a
picnic staring at him! ha ha ha ha

to me, P & P are like a couple of interesting uncles who you love
even though they tell the same old stories
VF

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the link... well... what i would do is just arrive with the stencils already cut and use a special airbrush, one that actually use tint from a marker instead of paint, just because it will dry demonically fast.

Incredible, the guys had the bike ready to go in hours, well if you have an oven to cook and vent the paint, thats can be done in 15 to 20 mins, doubt his bike had more than 1 coat of clear. Well lets see what happens tomorrow :D

Mike V
05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
This is a great shot. Look how proud mom looks!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/7146993567_1f7d444a26_c.jpg

ultraman6970
05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
And no giro at ex versus channel... :/ had to get the torrent of it.

FlashUNC
05-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey I enjoy all three guys.....but the overstating of everything Lance did got very tired...especially at the end.

To hear Paul and Phil, you'd think no bike racer ever made a tactical error ever.

I prefer the Eurosport coverage simply because Sean Kelly tells it like it is.

Fixed
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
This is a great shot. Look how proud mom looks!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/7146993567_1f7d444a26_c.jpg

she looks fit too
cheers nice photo :)

Grant McLean
05-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I should have chosen better parents like that...

-g

BumbleBeeDave
05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Here is the backstory for Voeckler's yellow Colnago C59 quickly prepped after he claimed the Maillot Jaune during the 2011 TdF: Tour de France tech: Thomas Voeckler's Colnago C59 (http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tour-de-france-tech-thomas-voecklers-colnago-c59-30953/) (story and slideshow, rather than the video). Motivated bicycle sponsors are not about to miss a beat when it comes to showcasing their gear.

But it would not surprise me at all if BMC actually DID paint one up in each size and keep them handy. If they need none of them, then just respray them afterward. But if any one of their guys does even one day in the pink jersey, they then put them together as "special limited editions: and sell them for a bundle. :banana:

BBD

plugkev
05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Good effort getting the pink back in it today, wow.

And that crash at the finish. Katusha guy eventually finished with blodd running down his face after getting launched into the barrier.

The Italian vid of last 5k shows him go flying.

ultraman6970
05-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Theo bos must return to the track, he is always having this type of stuff going on to him since he moved to road...

As for Thor... anybody noticed he did not have legs in the last 50 or 60 meters and just let go???

FlashUNC
05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I should have chosen better parents like that...

-g

He definitely won the genetic lottery. Two of the best American cyclists ever as parents? And by all accounts oustanding people to boot? Not a bad deal.

LegendRider
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Why do I feel so old when I look at Taylor? I guess it is because I used to watch his dad race...

firerescuefin
05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
It takes a lot of work to fulfill potential. You don't just spiral staircase yourself to his palmares @ the age of 21...though that's a pretty serious gene sequence advantage he's got going:cool:

jpw
05-06-2012, 04:19 PM
or life.

HOLY COW!

VF

Phil has become just a little too much the pro commentator these days. He doesn't sound either hungry enough or passionate enough. It's the next commentary, the next check. He does ride an Ottrott though.

Viper
05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Great to see Phin Jr. doing well and healthy after a crash. I am amazed pros can't get their chain back on the rings. He got back to the pack, with a little help and still in pink. On Friday May 11th, they hit gravity uphill and hopefully he can keep pink until then (click on Profiles):

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/

Looking forward to next Friday, especially Saturday and Sunday, where the Giro becomes a ride.

Saturday the 19th (two Cat 1's, mountain top finish) will be fun :) with Sunday the 20th offering some separation.

Wednesday the 23rd will be must-see tv.

Race will be off the hook on the 25th and 26th :beer:

I <3 Giro.

Liv2RideHard
05-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Saturday the 19th (two Cat 1's, mountain top finish) will be fun :) with Sunday the 20th offering some separation.

Wednesday the 23rd will be must-see tv.

Race will be off the hook on the 25th and 26th :beer:

I <3 Giro.

will be awesome for sure. cannot wait. i hope to be in Italia by then. plan to land in Venezia and drive straight to wherever the Giro is. hoping to meet friends there if everything works out. Stelvio...epic.

bostondrunk
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Amazing that Phinney is able to hang onto pink while using such an un-aero frameset. Aren't all the garmin guys saving like a supposed 30 watts with their S5 framesets?!

nebraskacycling
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Amazing that Phinney is able to hang onto pink while using such an un-aero frameset. Aren't all the garmin guys saving like a supposed 30 watts with their S5 framesets?!

30 watts is a good chunk. I don't think it would be that much different in the draft, but maybe solo. Good thing some teammates did drop back for him.

Bruce K
05-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Taylor is a very nice young man. Davis and Connie have raised him well and all of them, along with their daughter (a fantastic Nordic skier by all accounts) are real class acts.

They will all be at Road 2 Victory to benefit The Davis Phinney Foundation and the battle vs Parkinson's Disease.

Hopefully Taylor will have lots of cool stories to tell

BK