PDA

View Full Version : S&S Case packing

schwa86
05-05-2012, 07:02 AM
I am getting ready for my first trip with my newly coupled CDA.

For those with coupled bikes, do you remove tires from the rims? I can get the wheels in if I deflate the tires, but they are pretty wedged into the case. For example the top wheel goes in best when I pack everything else in the lower 1/2 of the case, but wedge the front wheel in to the upper 1/2 of the case.

Some of the online instructions suggest that if the TSA folks pull everything out, they can have real trouble repacking. I bought the "TSA net", but there is no way this would work without taking the tires off (I think).

Any help appreciated.

paulh
05-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Video from Co-motion.

http://co-motion.com/index.php/information/faqs/help_how_do_i_pack_my_s_s_bike_in_its_case

paulh
05-05-2012, 07:23 AM
You've probably seen this from S & S.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/pack_r3.htm

eddief
05-05-2012, 07:27 AM
yes, deflate tires, but leave them on the rims. and yes, especially the wheel that goes on top needs to be gingerly forced up into the top part of the case.

if you use the net, simply make the top wheel the last layer on top of the stack. then bring the lid down gently on top of the stack and use your fingers to move the top wheel into the top of the case as you slowly "make" the lid come down over it.

i have the net, but have not been using it lately. and the TSA has been in my case a bunch of times. so far they blow my mind because they get it closed and no damage. maybe Sands Machine has a TSA training program.

ols
05-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I have an S&S coupled bike and I just deflate the tires. When my bike is packed and the case is closed, the problem I had (so that the TSA is able to open and reclose the case) is that the upper wheel/tire (inside the top of the case) will pull out the tops of the compression bars when the case is opened. The TSA was not usually able to repack correctly and the compression bars were generally then just tossed into the case. Therefore, my last step now before I close the case is to use string to tie together the top and bottom wheels (at 3 different points around the rims.) Then I make sure everything is aligned so that you can open and close the case without any bike parts pulling out. So far, the TSA has now been able to poke around inside and reclose with no problems. That has worked for me, though it would be great to hear other suggestions.

Smiley
05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
have you guys left the drive side crank on and removed the lft crank arm only ??

CaptStash
05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't have the net and I gave up on the compression bars. No problems so far. TSA has opened the box every single time, so make sure you plan on that. I deflate tires and use an FSA crank with outboard bottom bracket. The left side crank arm is self extracting.

Another thing I learned was that it is best to have a full kit just or the travel bike. I have a seat bag with flat kit, tools and spare tire. Additionally, I have a ziplock full of all the tools I need to assemble and disassemble the bike.

Finally, I have a set of photos in my phone to remind me of the specific order nd orientation to get everything in. It's a 57cm bike, so things are tight, but there's still room for a plastic Pedro's floor pump. (The floor pump beats the heck out of using a frame pump.)

I'll post photos later on when I have time.

CaptStash....

bocarider
05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I just did a test packup this afternoon. I used the TSA net, deflated but did not remove the tires. It fit just fine.

schwa86
05-05-2012, 03:33 PM
My CDA is only a 53, so everything seems to fit with the crank left on in terms of fitting in the case, but am I understanding from the early post that I might want to pull it so that the "depth" of everyhting in the case is better somehow (as I said, it all fits, wheels just seem a little tight.)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions as always.

eddief
05-05-2012, 03:43 PM
i need to remove the fork to make it work. i also take off my 105 triple crank. think depth-wise i could never get the layers in there without taking off the crank. biggest challenge these days is getting the bars in there by weaving the drops through the spokes of the bottom wheel. murder on bar tape.

dumbod
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I love the S&S but it is a pain to pack.

I think that this is the best link to packing the box:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/p_i_seq.htm.

I find that it helps to remove both the front brake and the crankset.

CaptStash
05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
These photos show how I pack my bike. It's a 58cm bike and fits without removing the fork. I do pull the rear derailleur, the front brake and the crank.

CaptStash....

Nags&Ducs
05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Does it have the same exterior dimensions as the original? I have the black case with butterfly latches and it has plenty of room inside but the exterior dimensions seem just a hair out of specs. TSA always has problems sending the case through their large luggage screener because it won't lie flat on the conveyer belt.

schwa86
05-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I bought the gray case with metal handles. It seems to measure 27" by 27" by 10". I am being slightly conservative on the 27" by including a little extra for the handles.

PaMtbRider
05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
+1 on what OLS said about not using a net but tying everything together with three pieces of string. It keeps the compression rods with end caps in place if TSA opens your case. My wife and I flew into San Antonio, Texas yesterday on Southwest. Both bikes were in S&S cases and tied together and arrived with no issues. We are spending the week in Fredericksburg, Texas riding hill country.

dogdriver
05-08-2012, 09:16 AM
A good previous thread on this, includes a pic FWIW of my Surly TC in the bag, tires deflated.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=73068

jamesutiopia
05-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Leave the tires on the rims to reduce the chance of scratched/dented rims! The case is about 1/2" larger than the maximum allowed dimensions when packed with compression members (by design and nearly impossible for anyone to measure in practice. The first time I packed an S&S bike I noticed that the compression members were too long and got this answer)-- they bow the faces of the case out to protect the axle ends.

S&S TSA net is a must to hold the compression members in place, and tying the rims together is a good idea. I also pump a bit of air into the rear tire once it's in the case to hold everything down when the top is opened (not a lot, just a few strokes).

I get about 25 flights out of a gray S&S case before something terminal happens (handle gets ripped out, case gets cracked by falling on a corner one too many times, etc.), and judging by the beating they take I would be wary of anything less robust.

The biggest and heaviest bags are the ones the baggage handlers abuse most...

poff
05-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Size 54 frame, I leave crank and RD on but take the fork out. Tires are deflated and stay on and I use TSA net.

Bob Ross
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
not using a net but tying everything together with three pieces of string. It keeps the compression rods with end caps in place if TSA opens your case.

I'm confused, how does not using a net keep the compression rods/end caps in place? I find the net is the only thing that keeps the end caps attached to the compression rods when you open the case!

But when I'm feeling paranoid I'll also tie the wheels together with two or three heavy-duty plastic reusable tie wraps, just so it's even more difficult for all the sundry parts I've stuck into the middle of that pile to fall out.

PaMtbRider
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Ross;1136675]I'm confused, how does not using a net keep the compression rods/end caps in place? I find the net is the only thing that keeps the end caps attached to the compression rods when you open the case!

[/QUOTE/]

I tie the wheels and frame together at 3 points with string. When you open the case the string prevents the wheel in the top case from lifting up and knocking the end caps off. For me it does the same thing as the net for less than a dollar. YMMV.