PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Evocurve vs Curve Handlebars

Keith A
05-04-2012, 04:18 PM
With the recent discussion on compact handlebars, I started looking around at the various offerings out there. I've been using two brands of short and shallow bars for many years...Deda Newtwon/215 and Ritchey Classic. However, now that I've taken some brief rides with bars that provide a flatter transition to the hoods, I'd like to give these a try.

I've looked at a number of products and would like to find out more about Ritchey's Evocurve and Curve. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these bars? If so, could you explain the difference in feel between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Ritchey Evocurve
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=358516

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dimg/thm/t448_c6eb488c48fcbd8eef888c0ff76744a5.jpg

Ritchey Curve
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=341883

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dimg/thm/t448_a3351958d4e014d617472a694023f46f.jpg

Grant McLean
05-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I've looked at a number of products and would like to find out more about Ritchey's Evocurve and Curve. ... could you explain the difference in feel between the two?

The difference is in the tops. The evocurve sweeps back and is also not a
round cross-section, it's flatish across either side of the stem.
This angle shows it pretty clearly:

-g

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
keith, the difference is the evo curve tops/flats are ovalized whilce the regular curve top/flats is round.

I have multiple sets of evolution/evo bars and really like the non-round feelign when riding on the tops. thereis more to grab, and the bar fits my hand better. the evo ovalization does not have a distinct trailing edge like for instance the fsa k-wing, so there is nothing on the rear "edge" digging into your palm as you grab the bar.

as for transiton to the hoods, it is absolutley flat with both campy 10/11 and sram. I dont use shimano so cant comment there. I like that there is no further drop. from flat to hoods.

the "curve" feels good to me. I like it a bit more than the ritchey ergo bend.

as for short/shallow, look at the reach/drop measurements. I dont think the evcurve/curve is as compact as other choices but I can tell you that at least for me the design feels good.

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
The drops flare out to give more wrist rotation area if you are sprinting. the backsweep is there, but I cant tell or am just used to it

One result of this flaring it the width at the hoods si less than the width at the end of the drop.

normally i ride a 42 but all my evo's are sized up to reflec this and are 44's.

Keith A
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Great input! The backwards bend of the Evo looks like that be comfortable.

So is the transition to the hoods pretty much the same between the two?

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I have never mounted the std curve since I like the ovalization of the evo. for the evo, the transition from flat to hood is completley flat.

On my c10 and r10 bikes with evolution bars, the cable is run outside so it is not under your palm when you are going for the hood.

there is no cable bump near the hood on my '08 force or my '10 force bikes.

eippo1
05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I've just picked up some Evocurves after using ergonomic/anatomic bars for years and am liking them quite a bit. The tops are very comfortable. I tend to get in my own way a bit when sprinting, but that's just because I'm not used to traditional curve bars.
I am a huge fan because of how nicely they transition to the hoods and how comfortable they are in the drops.

Keith A
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks again for the updated information. Sounds like I'm going to have to give these a try myself.

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks again for the updated information. Sounds like I'm going to have to give these a try myself.

I have also been using the regular fizik microtex or fizik dual tape with giro zero (non-padded) gloves. with more bar area to grab on the flats the hand -pressure is more distributed and I can use thinner gloves.

Keith A
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
pdmtong -- Interesting, I just started using Giro's Zero gloves and like them quite well. I usually don't wear gloves, but I do on group rides and races as the chance of crashing goes up. I also have some Fizik microtex bar tape and I like it, but don't love it. My favorite is the Stella Azzurra Eleganza tape, but sadly it doesn't hold up very well.

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
The giro's are thin and "almost" not there.

I think it's a good trade-off to avoid palm abrasion in the event of a crash.

As for tape, I'm not as picky as most here. the fizik wears well and feels fine.

Since I do wear gloves, I suspect the tape differences just become less pronounced.

Zero's were redesigned in 2012 so the palms (now white) dont bleed all over white tape.