PDA

View Full Version : TRP Mini V Brakes (CX 9 or 8.4)

SamIAm
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm running the TRP CX-9 brakes on my DRB (Dirt Road Bike) with a travel agent and Campy levers.

The braking power is substandard and the modulation is not very good either. I see that the 8.4 is geared toward users of Campy and Sram levers. I'm thinking about giving it a go, but was hoping to hear from some others who have tried this setup.

rkalams
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm running CX8.4 on my CX bike (SRAM Levers) and am super impressed with the performance of these. Lots of power and decent modulation. Pad clearance will be even less with the 8.4 but you'll get a better lever feel.

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 02:34 PM
My experience with 8.4's on SRAM force levers ('08) has been very good. I get all the power I want without the shift paddle overlapping the bar.
The shudder and squeal experienced with ciamillo GX and BR550s in my set up is gone. Wheels are mavic elites, 2005 and the newer 2010 incarnation. Bike is a '08 s-works tricross used for a handful of CX races in the fall and mainly as my wet road machine. On mud/dirt and in rain/wet asphalt stopping power is very good. Some folks claim too powerful, they should just learn to modulate and not lock them. I can't compare to 9.0 but happy with 8.4. I purposely waited for the 8.4s once the news leaked they were coming since allegedly work better with sram/campy.

bcm119
05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
8.4 are similar with slightly shorter arms. They should have better rim clearance and modulation/feel, but slightly less leverage/stopping power for the same force applied at the lever. I'm in the process of putting 8.4s on my cross bike, and will write again after riding.

fourflys
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
interesting you have power issues with the CX9's... I had the CX9's on my Van Dessel with Campy 10sp and have more than enough power... I didn't use a travel agent either... the good thing about using Campy with the Mini V's is you can set the pads as close as you want to the rim since you have the quick release button on the ergos...

SamIAm
05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
interesting you have power issues with the CX9's... I had the CX9's on my Van Dessel with Campy 10sp and have more than enough power... I didn't use a travel agent either... the good thing about using Campy with the Mini V's is you can set the pads as close as you want to the rim since you have the quick release button on the ergos...

Without the travel agent, they have plenty of power, but even worse modulation.

hokoman
05-04-2012, 06:11 PM
The paul mini-moto brakes come out in 3 weeks (customer care emailed me an update since they were suppose to be out late April)! :banana:

fourflys
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM

guess I wasn't that sensitive to modulation... ;)

jhat
05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I race the 8.4 on my cross bike last season with Shimano levers. Worked just fine once I got used to the stopping power, They should be even better with the campy/sram levers.

pdmtong
05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
samiam
regarding modulation...are you getting just too much pure on/off? if so try callingl the TRP guys. they are local to me and pretty helpful on the phone and in person at the races/sea otter.

djg
05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
8.4s with Record 10 levers on a cross bike I built up for my daughter (and rode a few times myself) -- great stopping power and decent modulation, I'd say. I'm going to get another set for my cross bike.

SamIAm
05-05-2012, 08:35 AM
samiam
regarding modulation...are you getting just too much pure on/off? if so try callingl the TRP guys. they are local to me and pretty helpful on the phone and in person at the races/sea otter.

Yes. I will call them on Monday. Thanks for the suggestion.

SamIAm
05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
guess I wasn't that sensitive to modulation... ;)

Maybe I'm just over sensitive. I use the bike on the road more than off and the braking needs are a bit different.

pdmtong
05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Maybe I'm just over sensitive. I use the bike on the road more than off and the braking needs are a bit different.

just to be clear, they do not modulate as well as a road caliper...the "range" from on to full on is narrower but nevertheless, there is still a range. mine are not no power then full power...there's lever travel available so you can vary the input and I have never accident;ly locked up from sqiueezing too aggressively

CNY rider
05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm no expert on these things so I can't tell you how to adjust them.
But I will say that I have a dirt road bike with a carbon Reynolds fork and the shudder and squealing with cantis was horrific. I hated squeezing the front brake.
Now my enjoyment of the bike is way up with the TRP Mini-V's.
Completely solved the problems.
So I bet there's some way to get them working well for you.

palincss
05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
interesting you have power issues with the CX9's... I had the CX9's on my Van Dessel with Campy 10sp and have more than enough power... I didn't use a travel agent either...

Is it possible these brakes are meant to be used without Travel Agents?

SamIAm
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
So as an update, I removed the travel agent, readjusted the brakes and the power and modulation are much improved.

pdmtong
05-07-2012, 02:44 PM

good news performance is improved...what did you do differently the 2nd time around?

SamIAm
05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
good news performance is improved...what did you do differently the 2nd time around?

I did adjust the brake pads very slightly and scotch brite'd the rims, but I think most importantly adjusted the clearance to be very tight.

fourflys
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I did adjust the brake pads very slightly and scotch brite'd the rims, but I think most importantly adjusted the clearance to be very tight.

that's the way I had mine adjusted as well... sucks you can really only do this with Campy though... I suppose you could add a barrel adjuster in there somewhere, but I'm not sure how it would affect other things...

pdmtong
05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
that's the way I had mine adjusted as well... sucks you can really only do this with Campy though... I suppose you could add a barrel adjuster in there somewhere, but I'm not sure how it would affect other things...

the 8.4s ship with barrell adjuster as do (I think) the 2012 version of the 9.0.

pre-2012 9.0's did not have barrell adjusters...a pain that many people complained about and has now been addressed..

Chance
05-07-2012, 10:43 PM

SamIAm, any chance you can post a couple of close-up pictures of the brakes on your bike?

DRZRM
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
I called Pauls yesterday and they have polished in stock and the anodized blacks will be in stock on Friday. I got a pair in black on the way by Monday.

:banana::banana::banana:

The paul mini-moto brakes come out in 3 weeks (customer care emailed me an update since they were suppose to be out late April)! :banana:

SamIAm
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
SamIAm, any chance you can post a couple of close-up pictures of the brakes on your bike?

I will post a pic tomorrow or maybe this evening.