PDA

View Full Version : Bike Recos for the (very) Overweight?

JacksMama
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and cycling. I am trying to find a bike that would be appropriate for someone 5 ft 7.5 inches tall and nearly 300 lbs who wants to ride primarily for fitness/recreation on suburban and backroads with some emphasis on speed, as I'd love to get fast enough to keep up with some of my (pretty skilled) riding buddies.

Have had one person recommend steel frames and 38+ spokes/wheel, but most are a little unsure/uncomfortable with the question. I don't really know what makes and models to look for and am a little hesitant to go into a shop without more knowledge first.

Any and all help would be so appreciated. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly easy information to find and the last thing I'd want is to buy a pricy (to me) bike that can't handle my bulk.

Thanks!
JacksMama

Fixed
09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
bro try a mt. bike I have seen some pretty big dudes on Lemond steel good luck cheers :beer:

hooverone
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
The only thing I would suggest would be a custom built for your weight.

Jim

Needs Help
09-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Any Serotta can be designed for your weight and there are plenty of wheel builders that can design custom wheels for you.

mflaherty37
09-06-2005, 08:26 PM
And if you don't want to go up to a custom bike an aluminum bike with Ksyrium SL's would work although it will ride like a toilet bowl.

Ginger
09-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Jacksmama

I think the crew needs a bit more information (as will any shop you go to).

You're new to cycling, are you riding anything now? Are you looking for something along the lines of a road bike with drop bars? Are you more comfortable in a upright riding position? Will your backroad rides be pavement or dirt? How long of a ride do you want to do to start? What sort of budget are you looking at? Do you have to have a new bike, or will a used bike do to start?

A mountain bike with slick tires is an instant answer that often works for larger riders that want to road ride. But it isn't the only answer.

Since you say you're new to cycling I have a couple of suggestions: Don't let any shop steer you in to a bike you don't want. Go out and test ride some to see what you think of them before you put your money down.

Don't be tempted to buy a full suspension mountain bike (with the shock on the rear). Full suspension mountain bikes are very comfortable in the store, but not designed for riders much above 200lbs, and even that's pushing it on some shocks.

As far as older/used mountain bikes go there are a few bikes that are sought after by larger riders because the frame can do the work; the old (1993/94) Specialized Rockhopper hardtail is one of those. Perhaps others can chime in with some like bikes.

JacksMama
09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Ya'll are quick. Thank you. To answer Ginger's questions.

You're new to cycling, are you riding anything now? Not yet....other than exercise bikes at the gym...which, of course, are no comparison.

Are you looking for something along the lines of a road bike with drop bars? Are you more comfortable in a upright riding position? A road bike was my initial thought, though I may be more comfortable upright...don't really know. Was concerned a mountain bike may be harder to get up the many hills in my area.

Will your backroad rides be pavement or dirt? Pavement, fairly curvy and decent hills.

How long of a ride do you want to do to start? About 1-2 hours.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Do you have to have a new bike, or will a used bike do to start?
Flexible on both the budget and new vs. used. Was hoping to find something solid for $1500 or less, but could go up if needed. Love the concept of used, but thought that may be too much to ask given fact there probably aren't too many 300 lb folks out there looking to ride...

fiamme red
09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/c7ec28046646c427?hl=en&

Serpico
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Jack,

Hey, take a look a LeMond bikes. They have two nice steel bikes in your price range--the Croix De Fer ($1,200) and Sarthe ($1,500). LeMond is a bike company owned by Trek.

The top tube is a bit long, but if you fit the "lemond geometry" they are some great bikes.

Also, I would suggest swapping out the stock wheels and either getting a credit, or swapping for handbuilt wheels made by the shop. 32 spokes, beefy. Or you can take the credit and call someone like Mike Garcia oddsandendos.com and have him build you some bullet proof wheels.

Road bikes aren't made for big guys, but you can work around it pretty easily--and in no time you'll probably be smaller :)

as a big guy, your attention should be on the wheels--this is the one place where you'll need to definitely deviate from the standard spec

good luck, feel free to ask more questions

vaxn8r
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Follow the link in the opening post.

Co-Motion is already doing lots of these with tandem specific tubing and tandem forks and wheels. They already have a bunch of experience along these lines. And with a 300 lb. rider...those are tandem forces. He'll trash a regular frame and wheelset.

vaxn8r
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10786&highlight=co-motion

Oops, left out the reference.

Louis
09-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Try Rivendell

Grant Petersen recently had a write-up in the Rivendell Reader where they were experimenting with a bike for this very purpose. Contact info from the site: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/index.html

Rivendell Bicycle Works
PO Box 5289
Walnut Creek, CA 94596-5289

Tel: 925-933-7304
Toll Free: 800-345-3918
Fax: 877-269-5847

Hours of Operation:
9:15am-5:15pm, PST
Monday through Friday

Peter
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
You want inexpensive? Get yourself a garden variety mountain bike with a rigid fork. Either put road specific tires on it or ride the knobbies it comes with, pumped up to support your weight. The road tire suggestion is only because you might prefer the smoother ride and most likely you'll ride it exclusively on pavement. Don't pay more than $500. Most front shock forks can't handle your weight anyway so stay away from them. Any good bike shop can retrofit an off the shelf bike the the necessary tires and fork.

You want fancier but something designed specifically for people in your shape? Contact Rivendell Bicycle Works and ask about their "Buffalo" or "Bison" Project Bike. It was designed with riders like you in mind. I believe they found a builder to carry through with the idea of a bike built for heavier riders. Go to
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/ and look up contact information. Give 'em a call. I believe they passed the idea on to Co-Motion cycles, so call them as well: http://www.co-motion.com/

You need to focus on just plain RIDING as NO road bike is going to be practical considering your weight. Reward yourself with a road bike after you hit a target weight of your choosing. Trust me; if the bike does not fit your or support your weight, it won't ride well and you'll quickly become disappointed and discouraged.

Stop by here frequently and ask more questions!

Climb01742
09-07-2005, 04:09 AM
as peter suggests, you're probably looking at a two-bike sequence. one bike to get you into riding and down to a target weight. then a "reward" bike. see the thread about "talk me into buying a feirte". posted by someone who sounds like he went through exactly what you're contemplating. maybe PM him for some first-hand advice. good luck. you're doing a good thing.

William
09-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and cycling. I am trying to find a bike that would be appropriate for someone 5 ft 7.5 inches tall and nearly 300 lbs who wants to ride primarily for fitness/recreation on suburban and backroads with some emphasis on speed, as I'd love to get fast enough to keep up with some of my (pretty skilled) riding buddies.

Have had one person recommend steel frames and 38+ spokes/wheel, but most are a little unsure/uncomfortable with the question. I don't really know what makes and models to look for and am a little hesitant to go into a shop without more knowledge first.

Any and all help would be so appreciated. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly easy information to find and the last thing I'd want is to buy a pricy (to me) bike that can't handle my bulk.

Thanks!
JacksMama

JacksMama,

I see we have another Clydesdale in da house. Hey Too Tall, looks like we might have another candidate to join our Team Titan roster. :cool:

From one big guy to another, the Mtn bike route is a possibility. Put some slicks on it and you can zip along fairly well. I'd recommend going the hard tail route like Ginger pointed out. Ideally, if you have the $$$, go the custom road route. I've pretty much weighed a constant 255-260 since HS and done a lot of racing on two frames built up for me from Serotta. Even before that I had another custom and was running big stock frames (though too small for me and hence noodley) even earlier and they held up....except when you run into things, they tend to crumple up :D ). I'm a strong rider and have put them through the ringer and they've held up fine. Where I've had the most problems, as someone else mentioned, is with wheels. I've even trashed tandem wheels that one builder thought would stand up. So far the two rims that have held up the best for me are 36 hole Campy Omega V's laced to Dura Ace hubs (built by Dave Thomas). Also, so far the Mavic Kryserium SL's have held up well.
You might want to click on the Barbarian Bike link below for good suggestions from knowledgeable people on frames and wheels for bigger riders.

Welcome to the forum,

William

Too Tall
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
With a wave of the royal meathy thumb....you are on "Team Titan" :)
I see no reason for you to wait for a custom unless you really want a custom and for that I TOTALLY understand ;) Rivendell and Co-motion get the Titanic seal of approval however you can read this forum for clues about many other custom builders here who ALSO could get the TITANIC thumbs up. Smarties like Tom Kellog, Richard Sachs, Vanilla, Dave Kirk and all them cats will make you a great bike designed to work. Consider this, if you are consistent with riding your bike and getting more fittness your custom bicycle may no longer fit you after 1 or 2 yrs....read on.

Instant gratification? Heck yeah!!! Suggest you find a pro shop with a good rep. for fitting riders to bikes and work a deal for a mid-level road bike with an upgrade set of wheels. A decent shop will work with you on that. My take on an upgrade wheelset for you is something like this: Velocity Deep V rims, 36 spoke in 3 cross with 14 guage spokes and brass nipples, Ultegra or Chorus hubs. Alternate wheelset: everything else the same and substitute Mavic Open Pro rims. Use 700X25 or 700X28.

Another thought is to get a decent Cyclorcross package. Something like a Lemond Poprad and have the shop swap the tires.

Hope this helps.

Now shaddap and ride :)

Lifelover
09-07-2005, 07:57 AM
While I'm 6'1" I started riding a while back at 285 lbs and thanks to riding and not eating as much I'm down to 250. Hope to loss more this winter.

I started on two different MTB's with slicks and got a road bike a year or so later. To this day I still put just as many miles on the two MTBs combined as I do my road bike and can say that I'm still much more comfortable and confident on them.

Don't even try riding on the road with the knobby tires. You will feel like you are pulling a piano. Switch the tires to slicks before you leave the store.

If you really want the ultimate in comfort you could go full suspension but as Ginger mentioned you may have a hard time finding one that is well suited for your weight.

You can find an older k2 full suspensions for cheap ($400-600) and they have spring set up for rated weight of 250lbs. Look for evo's or disco monkeys. When I got mine I was buying the largest size bike they made so my spring was the correct size. On smaller frame bikes you might have to ask about the spring or even get it replaced. They can be hard to find for older bikes but are available.

I strongly suggest the MTB as your first bike. If you continue to ride and lose weight the MTB make a great second/beater bike.

Also, because of the gearing and your size a mtb will be better for climbing hills than a standard geared road bike.

If you do have a lot of big climbs where you will ride you will need to ensure the bike is geared to allow you to climb and keep the cadence high enough to avoid tearing up your knees.

Without question you need a triple crank up front and even then you should consider changing the smallest chainring out to something smaller. I think the standard on a raod bike is 30 teeth. I've been doing some rides in the Blue Ridge and I changed mine out to a 24. Seemed overkill at first but man do I love it.

While not all here will agree I also don't think you need the clip in pedals. I ride platforms on both my mtbs and often rides 18-22 mph road rides on them. The only falls I've had over the last year is on my road bike because I could not get unclipped in time. Big guys fall harder.

What ever you get keep posting here and please ask any question no matter how stupid you thing they maybe.

You will not find a better bycycling site to ask questions on without having to worry about being flamed. Ignored at times if you come up with off the wall questions like I have but you won't be made to feel little.

Good luck and keep riding.

dirtdigger88
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
TT is giving you some great advice here-

One of two things area going to happen

1. You are going to stick with cycling

2. You are not

If you stick with it- TT is right, your needs/wants will quickly change as you gain fitness- why spend the money on custom now. I vote for a Poprod as TT said with the wheel upgrades.

If you dont stick with cycling- why do you want some expensive custom bike sitting in the garage collecting dust?

I hope you stick with it- cycling can change you life if you let it

Jason

Dekonick
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Go for it!

whatever you do get a good fitting. A good choice in addition to what everyone here is plugging is a Surley cross check - cheap frame, but rides like a steel bike should (comfortable!) - and it can take both mountain bike wheels (135mm spacing) or road wheels (700c with 130mm hubs) so you can use either. These also make great beater bikes for when you loose enough weight and reward yourself with a nice custom bike (and you should!)

most bike shops can order surley bikes - worst case just find out what size frame you need, buy a cross-check from excel sports (they have them on closeout) and bring the frame to your local shop to have them build it up. I would strongly suggest you get either a compact crankset or go with a tripple as hauling 300lb up hill is alot of work!

Listen to TT and the others!

before long you will be a cycling addict! :banana: :beer: :D

William
09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Go for it!

whatever you do get a good fitting. A good choice in addition to what everyone here is plugging is a Surley cross check - cheap frame, but rides like a steel bike should (comfortable!) - and it can take both mountain bike wheels (135mm spacing) or road wheels (700c with 130mm hubs) so you can use either. These also make great beater bikes for when you loose enough weight and reward yourself with a nice custom bike (and you should!)

most bike shops can order surley bikes - worst case just find out what size frame you need, buy a cross-check from excel sports (they have them on closeout) and bring the frame to your local shop to have them build it up. I would strongly suggest you get either a compact crankset or go with a tripple as hauling 300lb up hill is alot of work!

Listen to TT and the others!

before long you will be a cycling addict! :banana: :beer: :D

Surley advice from the Deko-Master! :cool:

William ;)

09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey man,
I was 360 lbs when I started riding and training. I bought a used Giant TCR put about 4,000 miles on it then moved up to a Nove. I would reccommend a tcr road bike. Good luck I am 140lbs down looking for another 40 or so. I just finished my first Ironman and can't wait to do another.
K

vaxn8r
09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I have a buddy who weighs in about 280. He's gone through about a road frame a year and multiple wheelsets.

I can vouch that K's will work, if you don't mind replacing them every year. They will not stand the stresses forever. My prediction is 3-5K miles.

I disagree with a MTB. Those are not typically built for 300lb either.

Anything will work if you use it infrequently. If you plan on riding alot either get a bike/wheelset built properly or plan on replacing equipment.

JohnS
09-07-2005, 03:40 PM
You're going to need more of an exercise program than just cycling to shed a lot of pounds. Since it's getting near the end of summer, why not join a gym for the winter and shed some pounds and then start next year slimmer, with a greater variety of bikes that fit your needs.