PDA

View Full Version : OT - ESPN: A total embarrassment

sonoray
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
What a complete joke ESPN is. The manner in which the coverage of Junior Seau's loss has been handled has east coast journalism written all over it. Granted he spent four season's with the Patriots, 13 of his 20 year Hall of Fame career was spent donning a lightning bolt on his shoulders. To watch Hanna Storm on SportsCenter ask Taylor Twellman, an MLS player who happened to be Seau's former neighbor in Boston, "what do you think Seau's loss means to the community of Boston?" is ridiculous. It pains this displaced San Diegan that EastPN doesn't even have the journalistic presence of mind to maybe reach out to Tony Gwynn, Seau's obvious "brother" when it comes to being the other half of the tandem all San Diegans would swear as the two classiest professionals to ever sport a SD jersey. At this point I'd even take Tony Hawk's (another hometown hero) comments over Twellman's.

I'd never wish this tragedy upon anyone; my neighbor, my fellow cyclists, or a stranger on a bus, but heaven forbid this happened to Derek Jeter. Jeter who is obviously loved and respected by not only NY but all fans spanning the country. I seriously doubt ESPN would be reaching out to Trent Dilfer (former NFL QB) who possibly at one time shared a golf cart with Jeter during a charity golf tournament and ask him, "Trent, how do you think the 5 Boroughs are feeling at this moment?" I know that is an extreme exaggeration, but IMO that's what this feels like; it's irrelevant and not even news worthy. Reach out to those athletes who actually shared a locker room with him and can actually comment on how this home-grown superstar touched many lives in his small community of Oceanside, and how his foundation and outreach program sparred high-risk youth from going down the wrong path.

I know that many may respond back and comment that this a business, but let's be honest, they should be in the business of getting to the heart of the matter, not fill up air time with useless comments and accounts from irrelevant people.

ESPN, please don't let the east coast rules overrule common sense.

banosser
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
ESPiN long ago gave up journalism... They have instead morphed into a promotional company wrapped in the guise of a Sports Network.. which is their peragative.. just don't view them as what they once were... I have grown to despise them for what they have become, despite their best efforts to convince sports fans otherwise... From their blatant promotion of an all SEC BCS Championship game before the initial BCS standing even came out last yr, to the Longhorn Network and ESPiN's blatant favoritism and promotion of UTex.. Showing Seau's mother only hrs after her son's death.. East Coast bias.. Mel Kiper? Reporting and Promoting at the same time.. Agendas and dollars are the bottom line.. ESPiN has morphed into a monster.. and I have chosen to watch as little of that network as possible.

http://photos.imageevent.com/banos/misc2/espnsux2.gif

MattTuck
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
An entertainment station masquerading as a news organization. Probably worse than the subject matter they cover, business enterprises masquerading as entertainment.

Viper
05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
"what do you think Seau's loss means to the community of Boston?" is ridiculous.

+1

The question should be, "What do think Boston's lack of community means to Boston?".

craptacular
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
+1

The question should be, "What do think Boston's lack of community means to Boston?".

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Ever heard the saying "it is better to let people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it?"

slowgoing
05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
They'll reach out to the west coast later in the day. More difficult to do early in the morning on the east coast with the time differential.

Don't worry, no one will forget his days with the Chargers, no matter what ESPN says.

Earl Gray
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Should ESPN seek your advise as to who to interview for all thier stories or just the ones that have a San Diego connection?

45K10
05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
ESPN has definitely gone to the dogs, or should I say the mice since they were bought out by Disney years ago.

All they have now are endless talk shows which inevitably pump someones new book, movie or ABC show.

Remember the good old days when they had sports like Australian rules football and Roller-Derby on to fill time slots. I know they are not popular but at least they are sports and much better viewing (IMO) than some old newspaper guys turned talking heads debating how great Tebow is or isn't.

MattTuck
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
ESPN has definitely gone to the dogs, or should I say the mice since they were bought out by Disney years ago.

All they have now are endless talk shows which inevitably pump someones new book, movie or ABC show.

Remember the good old days when they had sports like Australian rules football and Roller-Derby on to fill time slots. I know they are not popular but at least they are sports and much better viewing (IMO) than some old newspaper guys turned talking heads debating how great Tebow is or isn't.

You can still get those sports, you just need to tune in to ESPN 8, "the ocho".

45K10
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
You can still get those sports, you just need to tune in to ESPN 8, "the ocho".

That's right I forgot about the Ocho. Roller-Derby is on right after the Dodge-Ball championships

Viper
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Not sure what this has to do with anything. Ever heard the saying "it is better to let people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it?"

Boston and the word, "community"? There is a lack of "co" in the word "community" within Boston.

Here's two current events...Bruins' MVP? Tim Thomas?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/bruins-tim-thomas-boycotts-white-house-celebration/1

Tweets put focus on racism, hockey and Boston‎
USA TODAY - 6 days ago
Some of the tweeters indicated they were Bruins fans, though it is hard to know how many are from Boston, a city with a fraught history of racial tension...

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220427bad_sports_vile_racist_rants_on_hockey_win _draw_fire

But you are from MA, so it (may) fall on deaf ears and to one who cannot listen, everyone is a fool. So shhh, Boston = Perfect utopia with great beer-ah.

4Rings6Stars
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Boston and the word, "community"? There is a lack of "co" in the word "community" within Boston.

Here's two current events...Bruins' MVP? Tim Thomas?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/bruins-tim-thomas-boycotts-white-house-celebration/1

Tweets put focus on racism, hockey and Boston‎
USA TODAY - 6 days ago
Some of the tweeters indicated they were Bruins fans, though it is hard to know how many are from Boston, a city with a fraught history of racial tension...

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220427bad_sports_vile_racist_rants_on_hockey_win _draw_fire

But you are from MA, so it (may) fall on deaf ears and to one who cannot listen, everyone is a fool. So shhh, Boston = Perfect utopia with great beer-ah.

A hockey player from Michigan who disagrees with the current state of US politics and a couple drunk, racist hockey fans... how does that suggest Boston has no 'community', whatever that even means? I live here so I know I'm biased but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

ESPN is a joke. Like most television. Let's not make this more than it is.

FlashUNC
05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Every useful bit of ESPN programming -- other than games -- I can count on one hand with probably a few fingers left over.

jlwdm
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
An entertainment station masquerading as a news organization. Probably worse than the subject matter they cover, business enterprises masquerading as entertainment.

Hard to say they are an entertainment station masquerading as a news organization when the first letter of "ESPN" stands for entertainment. They were up front about it from the beginning.

Jeff

rdparadise
05-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I grew up in Bristol CT. Home of you guessed it, E S P N.

I left town just as they were getting started. Now they own a full block and have numerous buildings in which they broadcast and control their substantial network of television channels.

They lost the sports aspect and became totally entertainment based on sport years ago. They ruined the NBA as thinking it's all about the highlight dunks so you can get on sportscenter. The young kids coming out of college don't learn the fundamentals of the game anymore because it doesn't get them on sportscenter, however, that tomahawk dunk is a whole different story.

They blew up LeBron's ego by hosting a 30 minute show to highight his choice of home based on his free agency decision. Sure the guy is good, but give me a break. He hadn't won a title before then and still hasn't. And, frankly, I don't think LeBron is going to win one this year either. Two great teams in the West will keep him from that crown. King James will have to wait.

They created numerous talking heads who's egos have grown with their exposure on the network and their contracts. Boomer is so yesterday. They totally blew the Penn State coverage with the pedofile scandal that arose last fall/winter. They fired Harold Reynolds for sexual harassment while letting others hang around when they had an affair with interns or colleagues.

Yep, just entertainment with a dash of sports these days.

Bob

robin3mj
05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm in San Diego right now and espn has had otl going for about 3 hours now discussing seau and hIs legacy in this area.

And espn IS a Boston centric network and there were more than a couple/few racist tweets after the Caps knocked them out of the playoffs.

robin3mj
05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Double post on mobile device. Sorry.

BryanE
05-04-2012, 04:05 AM
I must be slow.
Can you explain the difference between east coast journalism and west coast journalism?
Waiting for my morning coffee to take effect.

BobC
05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
I must be slow.
Can you explain the difference between east coast journalism and west coast journalism?
Waiting for my morning coffee to take effect.

About 3 hours

Elefantino
05-04-2012, 06:41 AM
This just in: The "power" button.

I tried it on ESPN, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, HSN, Lifetime, Telemundo, NatGeo and the Food Network. It works on all of them.

It does not, however, work on family members.

Maybe it's just me, but does it not seem like there are more and more things that we should get less and less torqued about?

Earl Gray
05-04-2012, 06:44 AM
...Maybe it's just me, but does it not seem like there are more and more things that we should get less and less torqued about?

It's not just you. We live in the land of Milk and Honey but that can not prevent people from being themselves and finding something to bitch about.

It is human nature for many.

NextTime
05-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Count me in as one of many who are waiting for the alternative to ESPN. Can't stand it.

toolman605
05-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Someone was complaining about the "Cross Fit Games" being shown on ESPN and was questioning whether or not it really is a sport (that discussion is best left to another time) and someone else said that these "fringe" sports (cycling?) have to pay for the air time.
So apparently unless its a major pro sport you're pretty much watching an info-mercial.
Given that this is their business model I'm thinking that pretty much precludes ever seeing cycling coverage on ESPN. :mad:

killacks
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
..is the man:)

avalonracing
05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
An entertainment station masquerading as a news organization.

Fox News?