PDA

View Full Version : Block Island tips

vav
05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi everybody,

Thinking of a quick escapade Memorial Weekend to Block Island RI.
I am thinking leaving the car and use only bikes while on the island.
Anybody has visited the island before? Tips, advice...
Much appreciated.

echelon_john
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Hey there,
We go to BI fairly regularly. Car-less is doable, depending what your plans are while you're there. If you're pretty much hanging out, riding, and going to the beach, then it should be fine. What I've discovered, though, is that you pay a premium for groceries, liquor, etc. while on the island, and being able to bring stuff from home/mainland groceries can offset the cost of bringing the car over. So depending how much your group plans to eat/drink! In addition, if you are renting a house, bringing the car gives you room to bring linens, etc., thereby avoiding that fee that's part of the rental.

If you're going the bike-only route, I'd recommend either staying at one of the hotels in town, or looking for a house rental up on Corn Neck Road. Easy access to town, great beach (Mansion Beach) and just closer to what you'll need than places on the northwest side of the island.

Not sure if this is the kind of info that you were looking for; let me know if you have more specific questions. We took a great fishing trip last time with Captain Dave on Hula Girl. Crappy fishing, but we still hooked enough bluefish for a few dinners while we were there. There's also a great seafood market in Port Judith that will actually send your order over on the ferry; if you're looking to do lobster for a group, this will save you a lot of $$ and the quality is excellent. I think it's just called Ferry Seafood, but could be wrong.

JC

Fishbike
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
We spent a Memorial Day weekend on BI a couple of years ago and had a great time, largely because we had great weather. We very well may go again this year!

We stayed at a B&B fairly near the small commercial area at the shore, so we were close enough to restaurants and provisions. We did not have a car and spent most of the time on the bikes all over the island, which was fantastic. It is a beautiful place to ride. In fact, IMO, the good news/bad news is there is not a whole lot else to do. I would not want to spend a lot of time there if the weather is not good.

You do have to put your bike in a separate section on the ferry over. I brought a knock around MTB and really wished I had a proper road bike with me. If we go back I will take a road bike.

So my advice would be to bring your bike and ride everywhere. But Memorial Day weekend can have chilly or lousy weather so you may want to have a Plan B or at least make sure that you bring proper layers if it is cold or rainy. And the island can be very windy. Enjoy!

William
05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
A cross bike would be ideal, but road will work fine. It's been ages since I've been on the island. I know a family with a place there and that's were I stayed, up the road a bit from the ferry landing. The best I can do...I know someone on the island Police force so tell TR that "Schultzie says Hi" if you get into trouble.;) But...stay out of trouble.:)

William

majorpat
05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Spent my honeymoon on Block Island, you can certainly do it all on a bike. Just sling a backpack on and ride to the beach, store, restaurants. I can recommend the Manisses Inn, close to ferry landing and town.
Pat

Viper
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Raced sailboats there every summer for years. Great place. Ditch the car indeed. Bike and walk. Go to The Oar and start up your overnight drunk with a mudslide and some flip flops. Great White Sharks are regulars off the coast. Great surfing over there, too.

katematt
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Early morning riding is the best depending on the wknd and the curves on the road from the light house to the Spring house are fast and fun.

Also the Spring House has the finest beer menu I have ever seen. Small but all well selected.

Enjoy.

vav
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks everybody for the input.

It would my wife, 3 year old and I. We are taking 9 AM ferry on Sat 26 and coming back Monday (not sure about time yet). I will attach a bike trailer (Burley style) to one of my road bikes in case I want to ride along and spin faster. Other than that, looking forward to a quiet and relaxing time.
Hope the weather cooperates.
Cheers
Vincent