PDA

View Full Version : everest in a day - interesting article.

AngryScientist
05-03-2012, 07:16 AM
another interesting piece from Cycling Tips about mountaineer George Mallory, and his cycling obsession to climb the equivalent of Mt Everest on a bike in a day, and beyond:

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/05/mt-everest-in-a-day/

Viper
05-03-2012, 07:26 AM
AS, I can't read the article, it's blocked at work. However, the first thought that came to mind: people who have aerobic obsessions...if I were a Psychologist...I would have two business cards. At the starting line of every Cross Race and Road Race I would hand out my card, 'Viper Sports Psychology' and at the finish line I'd hand them the other card, 'Viper - Psychiatrist'.

People who are addicted to the crankset and saddle are running from something faster than one can do it on two legs.

:beer:

93legendti
05-03-2012, 07:41 AM
another interesting piece from Cycling Tips about mountaineer George Mallory, and his cycling obsession to climb the equivalent of Mt Everest on a bike in a day, and beyond:

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/05/mt-everest-in-a-day/

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

bobswire
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for link,nice read while eating breakfast besides motivation to get out and head for them ,there, hills.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2012, 08:20 AM
AS, I can't read the article, it's blocked at work. However, the first thought that came to mind: people who have aerobic obsessions...if I were a Psychologist...I would have two business cards. At the starting line of every Cross Race and Road Race I would hand out my card, 'Viper Sports Psychology' and at the finish line I'd hand them the other card, 'Viper - Psychiatrist'.

People who are addicted to the crankset and saddle are running from something faster than one can do it on two legs.

Yowser, some of your posts I don't agree with but this one, spot on. As a guy that was 'addicted' to running, and yep, 'running away' from something.

Viper
05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Yowser, some of your posts I don't agree with but this one, spot on. As a guy that was 'addicted' to running, and yep, 'running away' from something.

Dear OP,

I live in the supposed Melting Pot, New York, where all races, cultures, creeds, ideas, ideals and simply skins were mixed. I've sat at parties in Cambridge, MA and told a few folks, "Come to NY. Summertime, bbq or beach party. You'll meet folks who might be even more radical than you guys, but you'll also meet the opposing views and everything inbetween.

New York? Grab a cup of coffee in the a deli in the morning. Put the newspaper on the counter, face up and look at the faces of the people on the line, at the counter. They'll tell you what's up with politics and if you ask em' you'll get straight answers. All kinds of opinions in New York. Flip the paper over, backside-up and you'll know right away who's a Mets fan or Yankees.

New York = Racing in a NY minute
Boston = Racism
Colorado = Bike Race Capitol. I watch 'American Guns' and don't know much about CO, but I do know Stephen King made it a focal point in one of the greatest books I've ever read, 'The Stand'. Mother Abagail directs the survivors to Boulder, Colorado and there's a reason for this. Would like to talk to King about such things.
Campy = Campy

I've dated a few chicas who raced. Freedom? It ain't found on a saddle and it is just some people talkin':

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TtBFooARUo

To Colorado:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdbPTege7Cg

A state I will race in one day. Trained so hard, prepared for, signed up and registered for the Triple Bypass. Dad was diagnosed with cancer three weeks before the ride so I didn't go. I have the TB jersey and I feel cheap when I wear it, so I don't. I also have the Masters World Cup jersey. It was a gift from a friend so I don't feel cheap wearing it and maybe I do win that event someday, who knows? I also think Leadville looks super cool.

Regards,
Viper

zap
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
edit

...or riding towards something.

Really......NYC.

Viper
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
edit

...or riding towards something.

Really......NYC.

Aerobic addicts are indeed riding towards something just as an alcoholic is waking towards something when they walk through the bar door.

NYC

rounder
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Good posts Viper.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Good posts Viper.

seconded......

Keith A
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for posting this article...very enjoyable read and amazing effort by George Mallory. BTW, be sure to check out his final comments to see his PR for climbing the mountain.