PDA

View Full Version : Great ride on our CSi but I'd like a taller stem

Ken Robb
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
So we went for a quick spin yesterday and I rode our stock 58cm CSi w/ 10spd Chorus--it's a great bike that I bought for Leslie but she prefers her Riv. It came w/ 12cm -17 degree stem and F-1 threaded fork. Trying to get her more comfy I swapped for a 10cm 0 degree rise stem. I think if I could find something near 12cm and 0 or some positive rise the bike would be great for me. I have some Nitto Technomic DeLuxe stems that are longer in the quill but they are -17 degree which negates the longer quill. I have a converter to use threadless but it looks awful and would require a huge positive angle stem as well.

Any good ideas?

One thought is to swap the F1 for a theadless carbon fork with a long steerer and use spacers and positive sloping stem but the ride with the F1 is so good I hate to change it.

There is a downhill run from our home where 25 mph coasting is easy followed by a 90 degree right hander with ripply pavement. Many otherwise great-handling bikes show "imprecision" taking this corner even at 15 mph but not this one and I bring out the wobbles in many bikes that are perfect for other riders.

I don't think this bike has 500 miles on it since it's not a perfect fit for either of us so I have thought of selling it but-----then I ride it and I'm not sure that I don't like it at least as well as my 60cm Legend. I don't know if Serotta ever made a bike that didn't ride great.

Needs Help
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Any good ideas?
ebay. A Serotta 12cm 0 degree ti quill stem was auctioned recently. You also might want to try posting a WTB(want to buy) ad in the classifieds here.

I don't know if Serotta ever made a bike that didn't ride great.
They have and do. Why do you think there are so many for sale?

dbrk
09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
I know Ken Robb. Ken Robb was a friend of mine, Senator. And you're no Ken Robb...oops...that was another matter of debate, not this one. But there are a few things I know about Ken Robb: height, age, preferences, and I have one thing to say about this 58cm CSi--- it is too small for you and there is not one revision you can make to it that would make it fit more like the 61cm you really need in this particular model. It might fit me on a race day but otherwise the head tube is too short and there is no way to get the bars up to where you want them without seriously compromising the handling, even at moderate speeds. Of course, the bike will ride right within all sorts of parameters but, alas, this is someone else's bike, not really yours. And I KNOW Ken Robb, well...sort of...hmmm...Internet-know...soon to visit with...but I KNOW the fella and this bike might have belonged to Leslie but it's surely not gonna fit you. So there. :-)

dbrk
who never, ever uses those prefabricated smiles or other widgets and who STILL HATES THE DANCING BANANAS...and always will. Ha! Note: ) is the non-prefab banana. ) ) ) [three non prefab bananas...but it takes _real_ imagination to get them to dance...]

OldDog
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
So what ever became fo the dancing banannas on the team cars? Has anyone ever spotted them? Pictures? Rumors?

Smiley
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
so Ken sell me your csi since it will fit me , not kidding :)

Ken Robb
09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
maybe we should sell it and buy a Tournesol? :)

Ken Robb
09-06-2005, 07:40 PM
a couple of you asked to see pix of the bike so here are some too sunny shots that sort of show the blue/green color almost as well as in person.
Douglas: note how high I got the bars with saddle at 79cm. The fork was uncut. Well rats. I took some pix and moved them to Picasa to shrink the files to fit this forum and I can't figure out how to attach the pix to this post. I've done it before with other programs. If you want to see pix please email me at kenrobb@willisallen.com and I'll send them to you. Sorry I'm inept. Ken

dave thompson
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Ken:

Rather than moving your pics to Picasa for resizing, use this freeware image resizer: http://www.imageresizer.com/ It's small, very easy to use and quite handy.

P.S. You need a new bike!

Ken Robb
09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
My computer guru vetoed me using that program last time and got me Picasa which I've used successfully a couple of times since then. I just can't seem to find/add these oix for some reason.

Needs Help
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
I can't figure out how to attach the pix to this post
I don't think it's working. I wasn't able to attach a .gif or .jpg to a post today.

eddief
09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
is that you ride comfortably on your 62 Rambouillet. I agree with dbrk and think you could get a hiriser quill or a new "more steerer" fork but probably would not ever be happy. I resemble that remark in that my 60 Rambouillet is so fine and merely sizing down to the P58 Kogswell has slightly compromised my most preferred aesthetic and fit.

Fit on the Rambouillet is achieved with a Nitto Techno Deluxe at 9cm. Quite a bit of quill sticking out, but that's ok for me on this style of bike. The P is nearly dialed in to the same points and that is done with a Salsa SUL quill at 10 cm and plus 15 degrees.

I recommend you get a bike that fits rather than fiddling around cause it will probably never ever do the trick.

christian
09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
You can get a Nitto Dynamic II 120mm stem, in 90 degree.

That said, I agree with the i-bob and Serotta forum masses and advise you to sell the bike. I think it's too small. Psst, I know someone who likes 58cm CSi's too.

- Christian