PDA

View Full Version : Cadel

Bob Loblaw
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Last night I stayed up and watched my Tivo'ed Tour of Romandie finale. Watching Cadel in the final TT made me think of dog racing.

From what I understand, racing greyhounds chase a mechanical rabbit which is supposed to motivate them to run around the track. Occasionally, a dog will actually catch the rabbit, and apparenty, when that happens it's a catastrophe for the dog owner. That particular dog never races again.

With a Tour victory (the first for an Australian) and world championship in his palmares, I can't help but wonder if Cadel is the dog who caught the mechanical rabbit. Any odds on whether he retires in the next year or two?

BL

FlashUNC
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I think he hangs around for a little bit longer. He was already a bit old winning his first tour, so he doesn't have a ton of years left, but I could see him poaching shorter stage races. I'd say another 4 years or so for Cuddles.

tannhauser
05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Of course it could be he's been ill for awhile which put him behind training and racing, but if you want to call it old age, which it may partially be, go right ahead.

Elefantino
05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Bad sinus infections take a while to recover from even for us schlubs.

killacks
05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Occasionally, a dog will actually catch the rabbit, and apparenty, when that happens it's a catastrophe for the dog owner. That particular dog never races again...

...I can't help but wonder if Cadel is the dog who caught the mechanical rabbit.
BL

Not sure I understand the analogy. Are you implying that he lacks motivation, or that he desires to go out on top, or what?

Just curious.

Bob Loblaw
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Sort of that he has met his career goals and he's lost the hunger he had last season.

BL

Not sure I understand the analogy. Are you implying that he lacks motivation, or that he desires to go out on top, or what?

Just curious.

monkeybanana86
05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
A little off topic but this bike of his is awesome. As for his time left I hope he goes on for a while putting Australia on the map. We need more countries outside of Europe involved, no?

Hawker
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
A little off topic but this bike of his is awesome. As for his time left I hope he goes on for a while putting Australia on the map. We need more countries outside of Europe involved, no?

Nice to see some color in the Peloton...have been getting real tired of all the black, red and white frames.

bluesea
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Its media hype that creates unrealistic excitement and expectation for a TdF winner or podium finisher. The main thing is that Cadel doesn't turn into the blathering idiot that Roche is.

rustychisel
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Sort of that he has met his career goals and he's lost the hunger he had last season.

BL

In short, no.

That would be misunderstanding the sort of athlete Cadel is; a multiple world champion in mountain biking before taking to the road. He's an achiever, he works hard, he knows his strengths and weaknesses etc as all great athletes must, of course, but don't sell short his resilience or mental strength.... remember the chase on the Tourmalet to limit losses, for example?

That said, this is likely to be a really difficult year, as defending champion he has a target pinned on his back, he races clean [it is said by all those who seem in a position to know], and then there's the weight of expectation.

In any event, barring illness or accident, expect to see him line up at the depart in July fully ready to defend his title.

TTBS
05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
...he has a kid now! Game over.

Joking aside. He is not a dog. He's been sick. I hope he recovers for the TDF!

gavingould
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I have a greyhound, so far he's only caught stuffed animals... But not for lack of trying

martinrjensen
05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
To go completely OT here, I would really be curious to see some documentation regarding the scenario you site as an example with the dogs catching the rabbit and never racing again. So far I can't find anything like this. I do find mention of the fact that the rabbit is manually controlled and that it never should happen in the first place. I read about the rabbit hitting and killing a dog, and that the rabbit gets totally chewed up when caught and that they cut the electricity to it so as not to electrocute the dog, but nothing about what it sounds like you are saying that the dog looses it's incentive to race? (sorry about any lack of proper punctuation)Last night I stayed up and watched my Tivo'ed Tour of Romandie finale. Watching Cadel in the final TT made me think of dog racing.

From what I understand, racing greyhounds chase a mechanical rabbit which is supposed to motivate them to run around the track. Occasionally, a dog will actually catch the rabbit, and apparenty, when that happens it's a catastrophe for the dog owner. That particular dog never races again.

With a Tour victory (the first for an Australian) and world championship in his palmares, I can't help but wonder if Cadel is the dog who caught the mechanical rabbit. Any odds on whether he retires in the next year or two?

BL

Ginger
05-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Perhaps you're just seeing a "more natural" racer in Cadel...and we're all so used to the dopers that he doesn't seem to be as great as he was on the tour so it seems that there must be something wrong with him when he's just...you know...human?

rice rocket
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't think you'll find any TdF overall contenders winning races in April. Their training/racing program is designed so they peak for the TdF and nothing else.

Wiggins...peaking too early.

67-59
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't think you'll find any TdF overall contenders winning races in April. Their training/racing program is designed so they peak for the TdF and nothing else.

Wiggins...peaking too early.

Except...didn't Cadel win Romandie last year?

Bob Loblaw
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
He did. He was killing it at this time last year. Not sure if that's the exception to the rule or not, but this year Wiggins is riding a lot like Cadel did last year.

BL

Except...didn't Cadel win Romandie last year?

torquer
05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
...he has a kid now! Game over.
I was going to mention that, but as an incentive to get out of the house!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFyzvonlClLcsqbI2enT1lFkE_brWL KAWpqTYYUNWCFpU3Na9

ultraman6970
05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Wiggo won't win the TdF.

He did. He was killing it at this time last year. Not sure if that's the exception to the rule or not, but this year Wiggins is riding a lot like Cadel did last year.

BL

Bob Loblaw
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Maybe, maybe not. But the with Frank headlining For the team at the Giro, and Andy and Cadel's yet to show A-game fitness this season, it is looking like a wide open podium. Maybe Wiggo? Or Horner?

BL

Wiggo won't win the TdF.

jpw
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Oldest ever winner of the Tour?

ultraman6970
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Have a lot more faith in Horner than in the scrhecks.

IMO the radio Shrek team w/o cancellara are condemn in the TdF, nobody is strong enough in that team...

Come on Tommy you have to win this year!

Elefantino
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
That was his '09 bike for Silence-Lotto.

Elefantino
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Oldest ever winner of the Tour?
Lance, when he comes back next year to save Radio Schleck! :banana::banana:

monkeybanana86
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I was going to mention that, but as an incentive to get out of the house!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFyzvonlClLcsqbI2enT1lFkE_brWL KAWpqTYYUNWCFpU3Na9

Did he adopt? And a black kid? This just made him cooler in my book.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cadel-evans-opens-up-about-adopted-son-20120127-1qkdw.html

stusf
05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Wiggo won't win the TdF.

+1 he barely held onto Paris Nice

Hawker
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Did he adopt? And a black kid? This just made him cooler in my book.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cadel-evans-opens-up-about-adopted-son-20120127-1qkdw.html

An Ethiopian child. Kudos to Cadel and his wife.

ultraman6970
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Next year??? I bet he will show up this year! :D I die to see the face of the brothers in the team pictures :D

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/84879/84879_large.jpg

Lance, when he comes back next year to save Radio Schleck! :banana::banana:

ultraman6970
05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
The guy can't climb like the others or he could have done a lot more last year, and this year he looks solid but the climbing still not fantastic enough. You born as a climber or you dont.

+1 he barely held onto Paris Nice