PDA

View Full Version : South Korea

echelon_john
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
After reading the accounts online of the race that just went awry there, with motorcycles crashing into riders, etc, this takes the cake.

Truck drivers watching soap operas while driving? REALLY?

(FROM CYCLINGNEWS.COM; STORY HERE: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thre...in-korea-crash)

The South Korean cycling community is in mourning today after three of itts young female athletes were killed while training in the Kyeongbuk Province on Monday.

The Sang Ju City team was riding along a country road approximately 200 miles southeast of Seoul with a team car in front and the coach's van following behind when a 25-ton truck failed to slow and rammed the coach's van from behind.

According to Naver.com, the force of the impact pushed the van to the left, while the truck continued toward the right shoulder and into the line of cyclists.

The crash killed three riders: Park Eun Mi (25), Lee Min Jeong (24) and Jeong Soo Jeong (19) and seriously injured Kim Seon Young (20), Jeong Eun Song (23) and Jang Jin Ha (19). The coach Jeon Jae Hyo (51), also suffered non-life threatening injuries. The team was training for an upcoming regional race.

The driver of the truck was reportedly not under the influence of alcohol, but was watching a soap opera on his DMB (digital multimedia broadcast) device and was not paying sufficient attention to the road ahead.

"The driver said he was watching the television and only after hearing a loud noise while colliding with the van did he realize he had caused an accident. He steered left immediately and braked but it was too late. We presume he was driving at around 70 kilometers per hour," a police officer said, according to the Korea Times, .

Reports state that there were no skid marks in the first 100 meters after the impact, indicating that the driver failed to brake until after he had crashed into the van.

"It might be that Baek stepped on the accelerator by mistake instead of the brake as he was engrossed in the drama. It seems he wasn't aware of what had happened for a while after the initial crash," the officer said.

The use of DMBs while driving is illegal in South Korea, but the law is not widely enforced.

fiamme red
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/three-cyclists-killed-in-korea-crash

eippo1
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Wow, that's messed up. If anyone ever invites me to ride there, remind me to say no. I would assume that the driver would be prosecuted there? It would be vehicular manslaughter here.

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
pretty broad generalization to condemn a country for one knucklehead not paying attention while driving...

vqdriver
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
it just sounds like another distracted driver to me. different distractions in different places.
how different is this from the texting driver who jumped a curb and took out a group of high school cross country runners? or the hit and run driver that crashed into a mother and daughter in a crosswalk? any number of drive by shootings. would you title those threads "United States"?

MadRocketSci
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
ever been to asia? road safety seems to be a bit more...casual....

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
ever been to asia? road safety seems to be a bit more...casual....

can you be more specific? pretty big continent...

per capital road fatalities in the u.s. are dead even with the u.s.

and yes i have been to korea on many occassions

eippo1
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
pretty broad generalization to condemn a country for one knucklehead not paying attention while driving...

Read the calamity of a race report from the Tour of South Korea that occurred a day before.

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Read the calamity of a race report from the Tour of South Korea that occurred a day before.

read it...that is poor race planning...what does that have to do with korea specifically??

tannhauser
05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
read it...that is poor race planning...what does that have to do with korea specifically??

I don't have a dog in this but the comments on the story in VN are very revealing.

4Rings6Stars
05-02-2012, 03:28 PM
The Korea discussion in the classifieds is more fun...

Knucklehead driver, unfortunate for the cyclists and their loved ones. Can't the discussion end there?

maunahaole
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Those Korean soap operas on on tv here. People are crazy about them.

PSC
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I live in Korea for a year and this incident does not surprise me. Luckily I was driving around in a Humvee.

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't have a dog in this but the comments on the story in VN are very revealing.

read it...looks like the mods took care of it

when that car took out hoogerland and flecha at last year's tour, was there a don't ride in france thread??

eippo1
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
quote: when that car took out hoogerland and flecha at last year's tour, was there a don't ride in france thread??

Not verbatim, but pretty close.

Look, I'm not condemning another country. I'm just commenting that their infrastructure is a bit frightening for an activity that involves risk. I'd say the same thing if I were to consider a cycling tour in Mexico. And yes, it is a terrible coincidence that these incidents happened so close together and perhaps a bit unfair to heap judgement.

echelon_john
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Well put--it's a damn shame that could happen many places, but the synchronicity and apparent negligence are creepy.

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
One event had nothing to do with the other...just coincident

How does a distracted driver or the bright idea to use harleys in a race have anything to do with infrastructure? Negligence for sure but that isn't a comment about Korea

67-59
05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
I traveled around Korea a couple of summers ago, and loved it. Loved the food, loved the people, loved the beautiful countryside.

But traffic there is truly frightening. Yes, I know this actual event is a just single incident of distracted driving, and that we have plenty of distracted drivers here in the US. But after haven ridden around Korea in taxis, a couple of buses and even a friend's car, you couldn't pay me to ride a bike there.

MadRocketSci
05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
can you be more specific? pretty big continent...

per capital road fatalities in the u.s. are dead even with the u.s.

and yes i have been to korea on many occassions

Admittedly i've never been to SK...my comment was based on a couple of trips to China, a 24 hour jaunt in India, and Taiwan. I'm leaving Japan out of it, they're the german-like outliers. I do have a cousin who lived a year in Seoul and has made comments about some similarities between our observations.

A few unabashed generalities:

1) any piece of open pavement is fair game
2) painted lines are suggestions
3) The horn is your friend...if they don't hear you coming bad on them...
4) Either be on the accelerator or brake...coasting is for sissies

am I exaggerating? perhaps, but my memories are old and these are the lingering impressions I have. Beijing/Shanghai are way different now than 15 years ago, when it was still mostly bikes.

anyway...no offense to South Korea intended...

tannhauser
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
read it...looks like the mods took care of it

when that car took out hoogerland and flecha at last year's tour, was there a don't ride in france thread??

Like I said, I don't care about the subject one way or another, so you'll have to fight with someone else about it.

That's not true - I have my own thoughts but am not going to engage in this conversation that will go nowhere.