PDA

View Full Version : Brendan wants a steel frame

bobswire
05-02-2012, 01:17 PM
The first two I'd endorse without any hesitation,I'm not familiar with the last.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/whats-new/torchmaster-vs--torchbearer-in-pursuit-of-a-steel-frameset.449.html?cmp_id=EM_SAL15005a1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Our+Latest+Whats+New+-+Torchmaster+vs+Torchbearer+In+Pursuit+of+a+Steel+ Frameset&utm_content=Our+Latest+Whats+New+-+Torchmaster+vs+Torchbearer+In+Pursuit+of+a+Steel+ Frameset+CID_71d3e2a89a52cea42d35e3f085db3275&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_term=Whats+New+050212

jr59
05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Ira make good stuff as well!

tannhauser
05-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Brendan is always trying different things. Curious choices though.

"And Ira Ryan? Amazingly, he never replied. Perhaps my occasional ostracizing of the painfully self-serious nature of the Portland bike scene makes me a persona non grata among the heads of state there. Or might have I sent the email to iranryan@gmail.com, since every Apple device wants to spell check Ira to Iran? Sure. But double-checking proves I spelled it right. The silence was mystifying."

ime Ira's ability/desire to do good customer service is severely lacking, but he's a rock star and knows it.

54ny77
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Buddy of mine is going thru a nightmare of an Ira Ryan build.

Buyer beware is all I would suggest.

No way in this lifetime I'd order one, not after what I'd seen of the frame and the headaches he's been through during the process (now going on at least a year late).

It's no surprise that the CC author never even got a reply.

pdmtong
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Ira got some lift through the tony/ira Rapha project and being anooited a few times in various cycling rags.

Hadnt heard about any headaches, but good to know. I still want one of those black swallow caps, but oddly the $40 odd dollars just wasnt leaping out of my poicket at NAHBS

Happy to sse DK get a huge shout in a place where perhaps he is less well known.

phcollard
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Good karma for Dave Kirk! :hello::hello:

Grant McLean
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd suggest a custom Pegoretti....

oh wait:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/whats-new/silence-kit.339.html

-g

FlashUNC
05-02-2012, 02:10 PM
For someone who poo-poos steel bikes in a lot of his posts as lacking the technology of carbon frames, I find his desire to get a steel bike a bit sudden and weird.

Elefantino
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
For someone who poo-poos steel bikes in a lot of his posts as lacking the technology of carbon frames, I find his desire to get a steel bike a bit sudden and weird.
I thought it was just me that thought that.

fiamme red
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
What happened with Merlin?

54ny77
05-02-2012, 02:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin

"Another version has it that Merlin angers Arthur to the point where he beheads, cuts in half, burns, and curses Merlin."

;)

What happened with Merlin?

Louis
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM

It's just something different to write about. Eventually even the marketing guy gets tired of selling the same "greatest new thing" over and over again, and wants to talk about something else.

christian
05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I think what Brendan wants, most of all, is attention.

To which I say, "More deep discount sales, less navel-gazing. Embrace your Chainlove overlords and sell me some Rapha knee warmers for $18. M'kay? Thanks."

fiamme red
05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin

"Another version has it that Merlin angers Arthur to the point where he beheads, cuts in half, burns, and curses Merlin."

;)I've always heard that titanium bikes were indestructible? ;)

crownjewelwl
05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
tryin to rebuild indie cred after selling to the man?

i don't shop cc anymore...it ain't the same imo

Liv2RideHard
05-02-2012, 02:58 PM

Homeboy is beginning to see the light...

FlashUNC
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Suddenly steel is PRO I guess.

I really want to give him a good boxing about the ears for his use of that non-term.

soulspinner
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
I dig Roland, but he builds with more limitations, and Daves fillets rule. Most of all, he freely gives knowledge and support on this forum and well Joe Bell paint jobs are awesome. If I get a lugged or filleted bike its a Dave Kirk. Same geo as my Strong.:banana:

54ny77
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I've said it once and i'll say it again: I refuse to order from there until they rename themselves Competitive Brobackbonklove.

tryin to rebuild indie cred after selling to the man?

i don't shop cc anymore...it ain't the same imo

sandyrs
05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I think what Brendan wants, most of all, is attention.

To which I say, "More deep discount sales, less navel-gazing. Embrace your Chainlove overlords and sell me some Rapha knee warmers for $18. M'kay? Thanks."

this.

jr59
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Me thinks that a lot of people would order those Knee warmers at that kind of price.

No matter who was selling them!

pdmtong
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
During the 48 hours when Bonktown became Chainlove, there were many, and I mean many deals worth sitting up straight for.

Now, it's back to the same old same old, excpet the endless parade of capo riserva kit has apparently been sold off.

sandyrs
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
During the 48 hours when Bonktown became Chainlove, there were many, and I mean many deals worth sitting up straight for.

Now, it's back to the same old same old, excpet the endless parade of capo riserva kit has apparently been sold off.

i was starting to think i would stop being exposed to the army of tri tops and wetsuits during those couple days, but alas, they've returned with a vengeance...

54ny77
05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
literally at this moment chainlove is offering a "vassago bandersnatch" frame.

i don't know what that is, but it sure sounds like an episode of something that shows up on late night t.v......:p

i was starting to think i would stop being exposed to the army of tri tops and wetsuits during those couple days, but alas, they've returned with a vengeance...