PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Force group buy

bobswire
05-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Pedal Force is back with their group buys. Good way to get into a CF frame on the cheap.
Thinking of getting one myself. Kinda like the CG1 (UD Carbon) with standard seat tube.
http://pedalforce.com/online/index.php?cPath=21_101851

Edited:
I emailed Pedal Force explaining the Group Buy was confusing at best, since then they have edited the frame group buys.
Now only the frame (no forks or crankset etc) is available. I would suggest a bid of no more than $450 since a fork to match their frames cost between $100 and $139.99.

54ny77
05-02-2012, 11:25 AM
who are those folks? do they build bikes for other major labels? i've read bits of things here & there on the web about pedal force bikes, but the basic premise that it's a cf bike on the cheap, does the job, nothing special. which is absolutely fine if that's what you're after.

eippo1
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Their pricing model is a bit funky with this one. They used to just have levels to buy in at. Seems to me that they'd get a lot more people to commit if they saw those levels instead of XX and then XX.

Secosera
05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I used to have a Pedal Force QS3. Built up with SRAM red and some lightweight tubulars I got it to 14.5 lbs. Road very smooth. Liked it better than my friend's SL3 Tarmac (we were the same size and contact points, so swapping bikes was easy). So did he :P

tele
05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Their pricing model is a bit funky with this one. They used to just have levels to buy in at. Seems to me that they'd get a lot more people to commit if they saw those levels instead of XX and then XX.

just looking at this, i am confused. I can offer a certain amount and they might accept your number? kind of lame to me, i want to know the numbers, which have been reasonable in the past.

bobswire
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
just looking at this, i am confused. I can offer a certain amount and they might accept your number? kind of lame to me, i want to know the numbers, which have been reasonable in the past.

I would just put down what they accepted in the past, maybe $500-550 and let it go.

tele
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
thats what i was trying to remember. thanks.

will they tell you before the 28 days are up or wait until the end?

bobswire
05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
It's really not that much different than the past only now you put in the price you're willing to pay.
Before they had two prices, one high and one low,if they received enough buyers then you would get the lower price if not the higher price.
Now there is no price just a bid, I'll bet 500-550 will get you in.
I missed out on a group buy last year by a day and asked if I could still get in
but didn't hear from them right away and purchased another frame.
Sure enough a day later they wrote me back and said I can get into that group buy but by then I was already committed to another frame.
This time I'll probably just go ahead and commit $500 and see what happens.

54NY I'm not worried about they quality everything I read and heard have been highly positive and equal to most standard brands. They source them from the same makers as those standard household named brands.

54ny77
05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
oh i thought they were a manufacturer.

i somewhat recall that a local nyc elite amateur team is/was riding a custom painted version of 'em. haven't heard anything bad, and they do look sharp.

a month ago i'd have been all over something like this, as i wanted to put together an inexpensive knockaround/spare bike. but, i found one already.

54NY I'm not worried about they quality everything I read and heard have been highly positive and equal to most standard brands. They source them from the same makers as those standard household named brands.

wallymann
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
it's Easton's EC50 from back in the early/mid '00s, but with a carbon steerer-tube in place of easton's aluminum. we're talking 12 years now and it's still running strong!

the fork indicates its actually mfgd by martec.

Likes2ridefar
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
got my wife a cross frameset from them last year in a group buy. it's treated her well.

they delivered exactly when they said they would and responded quickly to the few emails I sent.

bobswire
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
it's Easton's EC50 from back in the early/mid '00s, but with a carbon steerer-tube in place of easton's aluminum. we're talking 12 years now and it's still running strong!

the fork indicates its actually mfgd by martec.

Hey Wallymann , I took a gander at your bikes, really nice collection.

sandyrs
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
For what it's worth, their CG2 model comes in a larger size than most stock carbon frames- the largest size has 628mm stack (it's the same frame as the November Wheelhouse, and November lists stack and reach in their geom charts: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/frameset/).

If you're a tall dude like me this might be a nice cheap way to get a better-fitting bike without a huge stack of spacers. :beer:

beeatnik
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
The CG1 is/was the same frame as the Ritte Bosberg (confirmed by Ritte). Buy with confidence for about $1500 less.

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=21_100088_101740&products_id=13613

http://www.ritteracing.com/store/rittecatalog/product/viewspecs/id/53

wasfast
05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I have an Element 6 which is the same frame as the QS3. I've had it nearly 3 years and it's been excellent. I have probably 10K miles on it. Weight was 870g, very close to advertised size. I can't imagine what else I'd want a frame to do, especially for the very low price.

tv_vt
05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm only seeing the group buy for a complete bike built up. Am I missing something? (Was looking at the RS3 model.)

bobswire
05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
They just give you an opportunity to purchase a crankset along with the frame, just leave out the crankset would be my guess. This was offered up today so the instructions are unclear and confusing.

bobswire
05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Edited post.

jmoore
05-04-2012, 07:27 PM
For what it's worth, their CG2 model comes in a larger size than most stock carbon frames- the largest size has 628mm stack (it's the same frame as the November Wheelhouse, and November lists stack and reach in their geom charts: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/frameset/).

If you're a tall dude like me this might be a nice cheap way to get a better-fitting bike without a huge stack of spacers. :beer:

Yep. Being 6'5" it's nice to see another bike that would fit us tall guys. I'd seriously consider this frameset if I was in the market for carbon.