PDA

View Full Version : Rides in Bend, OR

FixedNotBroken
05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
I am going to be in Bend for Memorial Day weekend which should be a lot of fun. I know right now there is quite a bit of snow but I have no idea what it will be like late May. Any rides or routes that would be of interest? Preferred to have flats, downhill, and some climbing (but not all climbing).

Also, does anyone know of any good/gucci LBS's there? Always fun to go into shops you haven't been in to take a look around and talk bikes.

Thanks ahead of time!

Liv2RideHard
05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
If I am not mistaken one of the latest issues of Velo magazine had a write-up on riding in Bend. There were a few suggested routes mentioned among other things. I will look for it when I get home later today. If I am indeed remembering correctly, I will scan the article and email you a copy if you would like.

dan682
05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm interested too... I'll be there on Labor day.

William
05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Go to the Ride with GPS site and type Bend into the route finder...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes

Lots of rides listed in the Bend and Sisters area. A beautiful area for riding. I remember doing the Dist RR Championship there. Got nipped at the line and took second.:crap::)

William

krhea
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I could go on and on about rides in and around the Bend area but I'll make it easy on you. Check out this website: hutchsbicycles.com

Hutch's is the bike shop in Bend. They have a huge weekly ride calendar, they know every road both paved and rideable dirt/gravel, have maps, will help you map your own ride and most importantly can direct you to the best margaritas and beer in town.

Couple quick suggestions would be an early morning ride up the McKenzie Pass. Stunning views, excellent pavement and if you begin early enough you'll have light traffic and what cars you do encounter are probably used to seeing cyclists up that way. Another fun ride is flat to rolling ride out to Smith Rocks and back. And finally, ride the Mt Bachelor loop. Stunning views, solid climb up and rocket back down.

Have a great trip.

KRhea