PDA

View Full Version : lunchtime ride

flydhest
05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
So, for those in the DC area that know Hains Point, it was an interesting day. For those that don't, there is a park on the Potomac that has a 5 km loop that is one way and a local haunt for local racers. Noontime, there is a peloton of between 10 on a bad day and 50+ on a heavy day. Today was sort of fast, Sam, one of my teammates, was primarily responsible for the hurt being dealt. Most of the loop is at 28 or so and winds up on the back straight for a surge and sometimes sprint. Often, there are buses down there, often after having dropped off tour groups at a museum.

Today, on two consecutive laps, a bus (different one each lap) pulled out of its parking spot into the road just ahead of the peloton. The first time, it came across both lanes, but left one lane partially open. The second time, the bus came across both lanes completely.

I got some 'attaboys' for my bunny hop into the grass. I was sitting 6th wheel or so. There were many, many ways for that episode to end badly and perhaps only one for it to end well. I didn't want to wait to see, so I went into the grass. As it turns out, those who could hang at the front were riding heads up, so no one went down or was hurt. I came off the grass and chased back on.

Crazy, though. Bus driver aggression.

Fixed
05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Sound intense for a lunch time ride makes you feel alive
here is to Fast reflexes Cheers :)