PDA

View Full Version : OT: Did Europe have three different Ford Transit van models in the past?

Chance
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
We’ve all seen the small Transit Connect (now in US) and may know about the regular full size Transit vans, which comes in many sizes up to the Jumbo (according to UK web site). The full size van appears to compete more directly with the Mercedes Sprinter and other work trucks although it’s made in passenger version too.

Last month Ford introduced the “all new” Transit Tourneo Custom which looks a lot like a tall minivan. They’re much bigger and modern looking than the Connect but at less than 20 feet long may be garageable. In passenger window version they even have a tailgate much like an SUV instead of work-preferred barn doors. Could be a nice bike hauler for very tall riders.

My confusion is this: Supposedly the new Transit (heavier duty and RWD) will be revealed later this year (which suggest it’s a different van than the Custom). In the US we will get this version as a replacement for the E-Series full-size vans. For you guys familiar with Europe, was the “Custom” model/size always there in the middle between the Transit Connect and regular Transit? Or could Ford just be renaming the same models to differentiate more so by size and whether FWD or RWD?

http://www.ford.co.uk/cs/BlobServer?blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobcol=urldata&blobwhere=1214420491892&blobkey=id

ultraman6970
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
: Did Europe have three different Ford Transit van models in the past? <-- maybe, woudlnt surprise me. Even the transit you are talking about looks a lot like a renault vehicle... many ford stuff is just rebagded benz or even renault.

christian
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
No.

The large panel van (equivalent to the Sprinter or US Ford E-vans) is the Transit. The minibus derivation of that is the Tourneo. This version has windows and it shorter than the full-size Transit van. (That's what you have pictured.)

The little MPV known as the Transit Connect in the US is the Transit Connect in panel van form and Tourneo Connect in MPV form in Europe.

The Transit/Tourneo and the Transit/Tourneo Connect share no parts. The Transit Connect is built on the pre-2011 Focus chassis.

Ford did make a mid-sized people mover in Europe - the Ford Galaxy, later replaced by the Ford S-Max, but this was always marketed as a personal, not fleet vehicle. Rumor has it that the next generation S-Max will be imported to the US.

While the original Galaxy was co-developed with VW (as the VW Sharan), Ford have never badge engineered a car with either Renault or Mercedes.

Chance
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
No.

The large panel van (equivalent to the Sprinter or US Ford E-vans) is the Transit. The minibus derivation of that is the Tourneo. This version has windows and it shorter than the full-size Transit van. (That's what you have pictured.)

If there were not three van sizes before, is the “CUSTOM” a new intermediate van size between the Connect and regular Transit or simply a new badge used on the smaller sizes of the regular Transit?:confused:

http://media.ford.com/news/globalpremiereforallnewfordtransitcustomonfordsbig gestevercvshowstand.htm

Ford media makes it seem like Transit Custom (panel van version) and Tourneo Custom (window/passenger van version) are all new vehicles that don’t represent the “full size” Transit. Is that correct?

christian
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
The Custom is a smaller version (1-ton version, effectively) of the Transit commercial van. So yes, some of the same underpinnings, but effectively an all-new larger-than-a-mini-van. Won't be sold in the States, I'm afraid. The big Transit will get a facelift next year and will apparently replace the E350 vans.

572cv
05-01-2012, 09:24 PM
For reasons I just don't get, the transit doesn't have the spiffy diesel engine in the US. The primary engine in Europe, though. I am holding jout for a diesel with manual tranny.

dd74
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I drove a Transit in Tuscany two years ago. 6-speed turbo diesel, seats eight people. Great vehicle. Great fuel mileage. Enormous power.

America needs more diesels, less hybrids.

Louis
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
America needs more diesels, less hybrids.

Perhaps, but I'd settle for folks driving vehicles that were better matched to their actual transportation needs. On a given day notice how many folks are actually using the various capabilities of their Suburban, F-350, or whatever. Granted, every now and then they might have all the neighbor kids pile in, but on average only a fraction of the actual capacity is being used. This must be hugely wasteful.

Chance
05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
For reasons I just don't get, the transit doesn't have the spiffy diesel engine in the US. The primary engine in Europe, though. I am holding jout for a diesel with manual tranny.

Guessing you are talking about the Transit Connect since we don't have the Transit yet. For what it's worth, Ford has reported that when it begins production in Miss. next year the Americanized Transit will be offered with Ford’s 3.5 liter EcoBoost V6 which has been popular in the F-150. Ford has also reported that the US Transit will have a diesel but hasn’t provided details. There’s speculation the 3.2 liter I-5 may be used but also reports that it will be the heavy duty 6.7 liter V-8.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/03/ford-bringing-diesel-engine-to-its-big-transit-vans/1

As a replacement for the current E-series vans the Transit will “eventually” be offered in T-350, T-450, and T-550, which are for heavy duty commercial use, RVs, and so on. Most reports state that the E-series and T-series will coexist for a short period with the current E-series filling the heavy duty market. The 6.7 L diesel V-8 may work for those applications but it’s hard for me to see Ford using that monster in smaller passenger T-series vans. If a diesel is made available initially for the smaller passenger and light-duty commercial vans my bet is on a smaller engine like the 3.2 liter I-5 or similar. Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part.

Chance
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Perhaps, but I'd settle for folks driving vehicles that were better matched to their actual transportation needs. On a given day notice how many folks are actually using the various capabilities of their Suburban, F-350, or whatever. Granted, every now and then they might have all the neighbor kids pile in, but on average only a fraction of the actual capacity is being used. This must be hugely wasteful.

Great point but the only way around such waste is to have multiple vehicles where each serves a specific need. Not too practical for many families, although my interest in the US T-series Transit vans is for that reason. Over the next few years my plans include replacing my smallest vehicle with one smaller, and the larger vehicle with one that is much larger. Most of the time the larger will remain parked unless the size and or power is needed. The smaller of the two will be the go-to vehicle most of the time.

AngryScientist
05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Most of the time the larger will remain parked unless the size and or power is needed. The smaller of the two will be the go-to vehicle most of the time.

i have subscribed to this philosophy for years. i've always owned a "beater truck". something fairly large that can tow, haul home depot stuff, get dirty, drive in the snow. terrible on gas. generally gets driven about 1500 miles a year, while i put over 20k per year on the gas sipper on a day to day basis. makes sense to me.