PDA

View Full Version : OT (mostly) - mid life crisis next steps

thenewguy11
04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Thought I'd throw this out and see what the group thinks.

If you were currently, hypothetically in a job which required you to spend a considerable amount of time away from your family, is there some opportunity in the bike industry to make a career change? Current skillset revolves around finance, economics and client service.

Would you seriously explore it if it would in all likelihood result in having to downsize the lifestyle? Or do you suck it up because it means providing more (materially anyway) for the family?

spamjoshua
04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Time for yourself.

Time for your family.

Time spent happy.

All are worth more than a bigger house, a newer car, more disposable income.

I think the question to answer, is how to make the best use of your waking hours, for you and your family's combined happiness.

AngryScientist
04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
having just had my first child, 11 months ago - i am shocked at how much he grew during this first year. I'm an office guy, home every night, and I swear some nights i would come home after work, and there would be notable growth and development overnight. it is amazing to me.

i would absolutely make due with less money for a job that demanded less travel at this point in my life. i want to be home every night to see the boy grow, to help my wife take care of him and everything else around the house. i have a great relationship with my own father, and though he is elderly now, i appreciate how much time he was able to give me when i was growing up. he is my hero, and i want to be able to do the same. i know my wife would be on-board with that too.

i should note that i have long considered myself a wandering soul, i do love to travel and experience new places and cultures, but when the family is growing and needs me (and i them), staying put makes me happier now.

we get used to a certain lifestyle and cash flow, but in the end a roof over our heads and each other is all we really need.

just my 2-cents though.

laupsi
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
an awesome question that probably needs more than the input from this forum. but if I were in the same position and didn't have to dwell on it from a realistic standpoint then yes I would explore the possibility.

sorry not much help is it...?

akelman
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
he is my hero

May your own child say the same of you someday. And for what it's worth, it sounds like you're already on your way there.

AngryScientist
04-30-2012, 01:23 PM
May your own child say the same of you someday. And for what it's worth, it sounds like you're already on your way there.

thanks, i genuinely appreciate that comment.

echelon_john
04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
How do you make $1 million in the bike industry? Start with $2 million!

Seriously, beware of the desire to make your passion your job. The likelihood of it taking all the fun out of it is extremely high, and the cycling industry isn't known for high salaries or great benefits. Making a change based on family/quality of life even with sacrifices financially can be a good idea depending on your situation, but to then add the industry focus to it may not be.

54ny77
04-30-2012, 01:27 PM
i wouldn't work in the bike biz for all the money in the world....

..because if i did i would soon have none of it left.

death by "bro-deal."

it's more fun to be a spectator. :banana:

Viper
04-30-2012, 01:27 PM

If you were currently, hypothetically in a job which required you to spend a considerable amount of time away from your family, is there some opportunity in the bike industry to make a career change? Current skillset revolves around finance, economics and client service.

Would you seriously explore it if it would in all likelihood result in having to downsize the lifestyle? Or do you suck it up because it means providing more (materially anyway) for the family?

I believe you're saying you'd like a career change. One which would eliminate the amount of travel. One which would utilize your skills which are finance and client service...because you're at a point in your life where you're asking: is this job which pays the bills, worth it?

"Follow your bliss" is a cool term. I like the sound of it. "A dream is just that until you write it down on paper" and I get this, too. Create a new resume. Stretch and expand your finance-skills to one that is perhaps more marketing, customer service, websitey and social media-ish; craft a resume which fits the requirements. You happen to live in a area where cycling is very popular, yes? There ought to be opportunities.

cliffs: You love cycling, are tired of traveling away from the wife and kids, you'd like to make your hobby your new career. I say go get em'. Until you write the resume, find five or ten companies to apply to, it'll be a great daydream. One day I'll own the original ORCA and I'll go huntin' for porkers.

:beer:

MattTuck
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
A woman I know moved to the U.S. from the Ukraine... she has a bathroom INSIDE her house here, her family and friends back in the old country think she is rich.

What we want, need and NEED is something that every person must decide for themselves. You have a background in economics, so I'm guessing you understand the the idea of utility.

At some point, each additional dollar no longer provides you with that much more utility. If you've been smart with your debt and lived within your means, there's no reason you couldn't take a job with more quality of life. It may mean fewer (or no) fancy dinners out, maybe you spend less on gifts and vacations, and maybe your next car is a honda instead of an acura, maybe you can't pay for all of college for your kids, just half... to some, this downsized life would still seem lavish. Keep that in mind.

I'm not saying to do it, but yes, I'd seriously consider it, and think about the costs/benefits.

I'll suggest another option, a 6 month break from your current job, maybe a year? Hang with your kids, ride your bike, get rejuvenated. It is called sabbatical. Maybe gives you a new perspective, new energy, maybe you realize you're just burned out.

thenewguy11
04-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I pretty much figured that working in the bike industry isn't in the cards. Especially because I'm not an engineer (maybe not even then).

I'm not particularly materialistic, we live in a fairly modest house and drive cars which are more than 10 years old. I do probably spend more on bike stuff I suppose (I think others here can relate). But the big issue is that generally speaking, money isn't a concern in that I don't go to bed worrying about paying bills or saving for the future. I'm struggling with the idea of upending things and the potential the situation could change drastically and just replace one form of stress (being away from the family) with another.

MattTuck
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
If this is the case, maybe you should just look for a job that pays the same, but requires less travel?

I interpreted your original post as you are living large, with a new car every year, but are away from your family frequently. I think maybe there are jobs that require less travel?

Thanks for the thoughts. I pretty much figured that working in the bike industry isn't in the cards. Especially because I'm not an engineer (maybe not even then).

I'm not particularly materialistic, we live in a fairly modest house and drive cars which are more than 10 years old. I do probably spend more on bike stuff I suppose (I think others here can relate). But the big issue is that generally speaking, money isn't a concern in that I don't go to bed worrying about paying bills or saving for the future. I'm struggling with the idea of upending things and the potential the situation could change drastically and just replace one form of stress (being away from the family) with another.

veloduffer
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
'Tis something I would like to do myself but there are other considerations besides lifestyle (cable tv, dining out, vacations, bike gear) to downsize. There are also contingent liabilities like:

the possibility of having to take care of a relative (mother, father, sibling);
college costs (how much can you save vs debt that your child has to pay off);
retirement (the avg longevity is 87 yrs old and will your finances last when you stop working); and
long term care (you or your wife might need in the future).

It's a tradeoff, and only you and your family can make those decisions on what risks are acceptable.

Chance
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM

There is quality versus quantity also to consider. If you can afford "better" things without having to downsize the lifestyle then it may allow you to spend more quality time with family. Like being able to take better vacations that make for great memories and so on.

Unless the job was killing me, my tendency would be to make the best of it and not downsize the lifestyle. Going backwards always seems to suck big time. Or maybe stay with the job a little longer while downsizing to save more in order to make the risky move less stressful. This is what sounds right for me, your situation could be completely different. Unfortunately it's sometimes too easy for me to limit myself because of a bird in the hand.....

Liv2RideHard
04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I know too many friends, and some family, that thought working in the bike industry was going to make them "happy" even though they knew it would mean less income. They were willing to sacrifice in order to...not chase...but pursue a dream working in the realm of the bike business. It has not worked out so well for many of them. A few lost quite a bit in the process...passion for the bike, wealth, time and some lost personal relationships due to the strain. It is not for everyone. There is still travel involved unless you are working for one of the bigs as an engineer/marketing type and not a sales rep for various products. You could dabble in it to get your feet wet. Pick up a few lines that are not represented in your area...stuff you really dig so you can be passionate about it. Visit your local shops and try and get your foot in the door. At least it will give you a taste and you can say you did it.

Mr Cabletwitch
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I tried to break into the industry a few years back, and the only good jobs require lots of industry related experience. I'm not willing to put my family through the turmoil of starting over in a new industry. I currently own and operate a public daily fee golf course and since after a decade and a half of the business my clubs see less action than a monk I figure I should just keep my job and my passion as separate as possible. The nice thing about my current job is that even though the hours are long, time off is non existent, and the money sucks at least I'm my own boss and I'm able to bring my son to work.

Viper
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Work for Rapha! :)

PS: If you do can you get me a deal on Yak Smart Phone cases?

:beer:

Climb01742
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
perhaps food for thought in this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying?INTCMP=SRCH

54ny77
04-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Wow that was sobering.

Can't say I'll ever utter, "Damn, I really with I went with BB30 instead of BSA back in '12 when I got that frame, since my climbing ability really suffered about 2.8% over the 3 years 4 months I had it as a result of crank spindle flex."

perhaps food for thought in this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying?INTCMP=SRCH

thenewguy11
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I've read columns like that before and while I'm sympathetic to the spirit, I think its easier to look back and say I wished I hadn't worked so hard, because its done and you have the benefit of hindsight. To take the admittedly extreme opposite view, if I quit my job tomorrow and took a job as a Walmart greeter I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be saying that after having to sell my house for a cheaper alternative, etc. Its the balance that's hard to strike but which is impossible to know ahead of time.

I suppose at the end of the day, I mostly enjoy the work I do and even the travel is OK at times. I feel blessed in a lot of ways and need to focus on the good things in life.

MattTuck
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I've read columns like that before and while I'm sympathetic to the spirit, I think its easier to look back and say I wished I hadn't worked so hard, because its done and you have the benefit of hindsight. To take the admittedly extreme opposite view, if I quit my job tomorrow and took a job as a Walmart greeter I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be saying that after having to sell my house for a cheaper alternative, etc. Its the balance that's hard to strike but which is impossible to know ahead of time.

I suppose at the end of the day, I mostly enjoy the work I do and even the travel is OK at times. I feel blessed in a lot of ways and need to focus on the good things in life.

Word. Those that can afford palliative hospice care probably have different regrets from homeless war veterans dying at the VA. The people in that article are trying to articulate the desire that they 'lived life to the fullest'.

The problem with that, is if you do live life to the fullest you end up dirt poor, with a hang over, and have possibly contracted several STDs and/or sired many children.

54ny77
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
that was good, thanks for the afternoon chuckle!

The problem with that, is if you do live life to the fullest you end up dirt poor, with a hang over, and have possibly contracted several STDs and/or sired many children.

rounder
04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I started career working for a large bank where i happily worked locally. But bank was taken over and led to a job which required me to spend time away from my family when i was in my 40s. I was into accounting/finance. Would leave every week on Mondays and return on Fridays. It was hard and hard on family, but necessary to be responsible to the family (they hated it).

I love bike stuff, but there was no way i would consider going into bikework as a change...there was nothing i could offer that would be better than the bike folks who were already offering that stuff.

Went to work for an accounting/consulting firm where i have been for the past 15 years. Beginning about a year ago, am doing about 50% travel where i am often on the road for two weeks at a time. I like my job and the people i work with. It has been hard on my wife, but it has been necessary/worth it to me.

I believe in living well, but also believe in being responsible. Things work out differently for everyone.

Good luck.

Ken Robb
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I tried to break into the industry a few years back, and the only good jobs require lots of industry related experience. I'm not willing to put my family through the turmoil of starting over in a new industry. I currently own and operate a public daily fee golf course and since after a decade and a half of the business my clubs see less action than a monk I figure I should just keep my job and my passion as separate as possible. The nice thing about my current job is that even though the hours are long, time off is non existent, and the money sucks at least I'm my own boss and I'm able to bring my son to work.

Is your course just off The Lititz Pike?

Mr Cabletwitch
05-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Is your course just off The Lititz Pike?

No its in Mount Joy, we used to call it Groff's Farm Golf Club, but recently changed the name to Highlands of Donegal. Overlook is right off the lititz pike and its a muni.

William
05-01-2012, 06:53 AM
having just had my first child, 11 months ago - i am shocked at how much he grew during this first year. I'm an office guy, home every night, and I swear some nights i would come home after work, and there would be notable growth and development overnight. it is amazing to me.

This is so true. It honestly does seem like just yesterday that our children were babies. Each year seems to go by a little faster. Starting the gym was a change in career focus for me and things were a little rocky for a while but it has smoothed out and I'm happy to be able to see my kids off to school in the morning and be waiting for them when they get home every day. I'm making a little less money at this time but the trade off has been worth it to have more time with our children.

William

toolman605
05-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Not exactly a crisis yet but I'm going through the exact same thing.
Society revers people who work hard and who work for Fortune 500 companies. My Dad did it so it was pretty much expected I would too. Its what I was groomed from a young age to do. "Get good grades, go to college, get a good job." It wasn't, "screw around and go find your bliss"
Now I wear a pair of golden handcuffs everyday. I sit here day after day thinking, "if only..."
My two passions are golf and bikes and I know there is no way on earth I can make a living at either.
I'm really - really lucky though - I'm home very night - I play golf in a league every week and I get to ride my bike the other nights. I couldn't imagine having to travel like you do and be away from home that much.
Right now I'm telling myself only 15 1/2 more years until Social Security kicks in...
I'd see if you can find a job where you aren't on the road as much - that's a killer for sure.

djg
05-01-2012, 07:31 AM

I don't know anything about your particulars, or what you're really considering, or . . . well, really, you, so this will all be pretty abstract.

I think you should think about alternatives -- alternatives to the present job, which seems to take you away from family much more than you'd like; and, because of the market, and because there's a family you want to support, alternatives to running screaming from the room.

What is this "downsize the lifestyle" of which you speak? Are we talking about less fancy cars and ditching the trips to Europe? Not such a big deal if the trade buys you time that you crave. Are we talking about not having enough money to send the kids to college? Maybe a very different story.

And what about risk? Caring about, and for, your family, doesn't mean that you need to be the most risk-averse person on the planet. OTOH, it does suggest that security and risk get weighed a little differently.

Are there ways to travel less in the current job? Are there ways to travel less in a different job that makes sense as a move in a career path that you're already on? And what's so great about the bike industry? I love bikes, but the industry side is famous for its ups and downs, and if you're not on a very distinctive mission to do something in particular, it might be a whole lot like the industry side of some other industry, but smaller, less stable, and less remunerative.

I'm not saying that a change is not in order. I'm not saying that a big change is not in order. I'm on my second career -- give or take -- and went back to school at the age of 38, with a wife and kid, to do what I'm doing now. I know a PhD economist who works at a bike shop, and maybe that's best for her. I'm just saying to think very carefully about what you want to change, and how, before you jump ship. Jumping is easy enough -- jumping back and forth, not so much.

Grant McLean
05-01-2012, 07:47 AM

I'd suggest you talk about these things with your wife and family members, not the internet. What they think matters much more than strangers.

-g

Ginger
05-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I'd suggest you talk about these things with your wife and family members, not the internet. What they think matters much more than strangers.

-g

Yeah, what does your wife think about the situation?

If you think there *might* be a job that suits you in the bike industry that has less travel, there's probably one in some other industry as well.
(Why is it that people think that working in the bike industry means fewer hours or less travel? Business is business. )

eddief
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
you not attempt to make a decision until you have researched the living daylights out of trying to find an answer to your questions. You are one person who needs one good job. There are hundreds if not thousands of people making a good living in the bike industry. Maybe not joe blow LBS mechanic, but there are some honking big bike-related companies that have good paying, non-travel jobs. You need to ID those companies, determine if they ever hire people with your background, ID potential hiring managers (whether they have a job open today or not)...and go talk to them. Not beg for a job, but go learn about them, their compaany, the competition...and who else you should meet.

By the time you do this homework, you will already be an "industry insider" and at that time you can make the decision. Also, often by the time you do this homeowork, if you are a good candidate, someone of the people you met will already be discussing employment possibilities with you.

Unless you do the pre-work, doomsayers will poopoo your dreams, you will be miserable in your current situation, and you will regret you never reached for the stars.

Shall we list companies large enough to have a good job you?

Specialized
Trek
Mike's Bikes...

Fixed
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
i used to dream of not having to work now i dream about being able to work
cheers :bike:

Mr Cabletwitch
05-01-2012, 08:51 AM
you not attempt to make a decision until you have researched the living daylights out of trying to find an answer to your questions. You are one person who needs one good job. There are hundreds if not thousands of people making a good living in the bike industry. Maybe not joe blow LBS mechanic, but there are some honking big bike-related companies that have good paying, non-travel jobs. You need to ID those companies, determine if they ever hire people with your background, ID potential hiring managers (whether they have a job open today or not)...and go talk to them. Not beg for a job, but go learn about them, their compaany, the competition...and who else you should meet.

By the time you do this homework, you will already be an "industry insider" and at that time you can make the decision. Also, often by the time you do this homeowork, if you are a good candidate, someone of the people you met will already be discussing employment possibilities with you.

Unless you do the pre-work, doomsayers will poopoo your dreams, you will be miserable in your current situation, and you will regret you never reached for the stars.

Shall we list companies large enough to have a good job you?

Specialized
Trek
Mike's Bikes...

Have you ever tried to crack into one of these big companies without an appropriate degree or relevant experience? The only thing you can get is a customer service job where you sit by the phone and get paid crap.

Only in California can someone make a living as a career counselor.

No offense to you, but I doubt you have ever actually tried to work in the bike industry.

eddief
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
you're it.

Have you ever tried to crack into one of these big companies without an appropriate degree or relevant experience? The only thing you can get is a customer service job where you sit by the phone and get paid crap.

No offense to you, but I doubt you have ever actually tried to work in the bike industry.

FlashUNC
05-01-2012, 08:58 AM

I notice whenever someone starts a statement with "No offense..., but..." or "No disrespect..., but...."

It means they're about to do so. Bit of a low blow imo.

To the OP however, I think you're on the right track, but research, research, research.

And I don't know of anyone who, on their death bed, ever said "I wish I spent more time at the office."

Life's too short. Focus on what's important to you.

eddief
05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/sbcJobs.jsp?menuItemId=8879#tabs-jobs

click on Dream Jobs topic heading.

MasterOMayhem
05-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Family first
Life is short.
make yourself happy.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
doomsayer maybe, but I'm an accomplished entrepreneur that has tried on several occasions to break into the bike industry directly into one of those good paying industry jobs. I can say from experience they just aren't available to outsiders. Typically they are filled by someone from a different company inside the industry or from within the company itself. I've applied and/or interviewed with Cannondale, Niner, Trek, and a few smaller companies and they all said the same thing... We are going to go with someone with more industry experience. I'm not saying an accountant can't get an accounting job inside a bike company, but that kinda defeats the purpose of working for a bike company in the first place, in the end a cubicle is still a cubicle whether its at trek or some fortune 500 company that probably pays better.

The career counselor comment may have been a bit of a low blow and I apologize, I sure wish I could get a cushy job like that and get paid to do it.

harryschwartzma
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
If you don't want to travel, I suspect the bike industry (or any industry that outsources production and sells world wide) isn't for you.

Louis
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM

This sort of ad hominem attack has no business on this forum.

Have you ever tried to crack into one of these big companies without an appropriate degree or relevant experience?

Who says that the big bike companies don't need Finance guys? I don't think the OP said that he wanted a job in frame design.

FlashUNC
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
The career counselor comment may have been a bit of a low blow and I apologize, I sure wish I could get a cushy job like that and get paid to do it.

And we're on to passive aggressive non-apologies.

Mr Cabletwitch
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
And we're on to passive aggressive non-apologies.

Not passive or aggressive, just jealous...