PDA

View Full Version : cycling in the Lake George area?

AngryScientist
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I've got a week of blissful unemployment coming up, looking to take a few day trip with my bike - how is the Lake George area for road cycling? this will be a solo trip, likely with camping involved. input?

Ken Robb
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
It is lovely there. We have also had some lovely rides around Lake Cannandaigua in the Finger Lakes. Oliver Phelps B+B is one of the very best. You might get to say "Hi" to DBRK. He's lots of fun to ride with but is recovering from a shattered elbow due to a bike crash.

BumbleBeeDave
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Call me and I can make oodles of suggestions. Maybe we can do a ride together. Let me know the dates! . . .

BBD

AngryScientist
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
will do Dave.

David Kirk
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Some of the best riding there is.

Have fun!

dave

maxdog
04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Call me and I can make oodles of suggestions. Maybe we can do a ride together. Let me know the dates! . . .

BBD

I might be interested as well.

djg
04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Great stuff.

Spent a lot of time in the addies growing up, and took the family back to that area for a week last summer -- we were a few miles south of Lake George, near Lake Luzerne and 4th Lake, where we happen to have friends. From LL & Hadley there are some really nice rides out around the resevoir and Sacendaga. I was riding with a pal who knew the area well, but do a few web searches and I bet you'll find info on some really nice quiet roads with great scenery and varied terrain.

There's a state campground at 4th Lake but, obviously, many places to camp if that's what you're after.

Likes2ridefar
04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I rode around lake george a few years ago during the summer. It was maybe 90 miles with some decent climbs. I want to say the western side was much nicer than the Eastern side but I don't know if I have my geography correct. There were many motorcycles and it got very tiresome getting buzzed by harleys all day.

i also found some primitive (for free) first come first serve camping that was very nice right by the lake.

BumbleBeeDave
04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
I rode around lake george a few years ago during the summer. It was maybe 90 miles with some decent climbs. I want to say the western side was much nicer than the Eastern side but I don't know if I have my geography correct. There were many motorcycles and it got very tiresome getting buzzed by harleys all day.

i also found some primitive (for free) first come first serve camping that was very nice right by the lake.

. . . during Americade week. It's the largest motorcycle rally in America--oops. make that the world! :eek:

http://www.americade.com/

BBD

CNY rider
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM

BBD

Hey if this happens let me know too....

aarondgirard
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey if this happens let me know too....

I am in too.. I live in Albany and have ridden around the Lake George area a few times!

majorpat
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I snuck up the Prospect Mtn road early one morning, pretty sweet climb might be worth a go.

Buzz Killington
05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
My first post........
If you make arrangements with the Lake George Steamboat Co, they can pick you up at the northern end of the lake in Ticonderoga, and you can ride the boat (the Mohican?) back to LG village while enjoying cold beverages. I've done this as part of a shop ride a couple times. Start in the village or in Glens Falls (take the rail trail), drop off a change of clothes on the boat, then ride up to Ti. Nice riding up the western shore, with a screamer of a descent as you head north down Tongue Mountain.

Ken Robb
05-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Welcome Buzz. Nice post.

AngryScientist
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Welcome Buzz. Nice post.

agree, and thanks for the tip!

BumbleBeeDave
05-04-2012, 05:32 AM
I have my eye surgery next Tuesday and I can't ride until at least Sunday.

Angry, check your personal e-mail. I'm sending you a few route maps and some other info.

BBD

Matt-H
06-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Nick, if you don't mind I'm interested in any ride reports from your trip to Lake George. Did you do Buzz's ride and boat suggestion? I will be there next month with the family and would like to get in a few rides.

BBD and anyone else from the area, any suggested routes would be greatly appreciated! We will be staying a couple of miles north of Lake George Village.

Thanks!

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure Nick ended up going. I think he got sick . . . or at least that's what he told me.

Some people will do just about anything to avoid taking the chance that i will show up in full Zebra kit! ;)

BBD

Matt-H
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Man, I would love to ride with you in that kit, but unfortunately I'll be there while you are in France... I'm sure I'll pick you out easily during coverage on some col, though.

I think anything between 30 and 60 would keep me happy and give me ample time for family fun. Thanks, Dave.

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
http://centurioncycling.com/newyork/registration/routes/

These are the routes for Centurion Weekend. Nice routes.

PM me with exactly where you are staying and I could make further suggestions.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Could you drive a bit to get to a route start point? Go west from Lake George a bit and there are some very nice routes in the Thurman, North Creek, and Minerva areas.

BBD

Matt-H
06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, have car willing to drive. Pm coming.

BumbleBeeDave
06-06-2012, 05:43 AM
. . your PM's.

This is what I've put together but it's not finished yet--need to check the cues for correctness and add some notes for hazards, rest stops opps, etc.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1281682

40 miles, 2800 feet of vertical. Lots of scenery. Short drive from your base camp.

BBD

AngryScientist
06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
its true, i did get sick. stupidly i wound up taking a one day excursion to the lake george area, and rode along lakeshore drive for about 40 miles, mostly in the rain. i was definitely not healthy yet, and the ride was pretty miserable, though it looks like the area is fantastic for riding.

Dave - i believe you were in the throws of eye surgery the one day i was up there, but i always welcome colorful kit! let's face it, if the drivers are thinking "that guy must be crazy!" - at least they are seeing us!

once things calm down with my new job, i'm going back up. it's surprising how close to my home in NJ that this was, only about 160 miles, a few hours drive. when are you actually going up Matt?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Gb28nREdJkU/T7bY6qZDjCI/AAAAAAAAAdI/4C5EzXhicxk/s640/IMG_0683.JPG

Matt-H
06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Nick- I'll be there 7/14-21. Any chance you'll get up?

tuxbailey
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Sorry for piggy-backing on this thread. I thought I would ask my question since there are people in this thread who is familiar with Lake George. Can someone recommend a nice place (reasonably priced) to stay overnight in the area?

I will be driving back from Montreal to MD in late July and I thought that Lake George would be a nice stay for the afternoon and overnight. Three adults, one teenager, and one child...

Thanks in advance!