PDA

View Full Version : Lance's gear in Portugal

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Has anyone noticed these interesting bits in the pictues of LA racing in Portugal?:

1. Lance is not riding the Madone frame. It appears to be the OCLV110.

2. Lance is using the Nike shoe with the ratchet closure over the instep and not the high end/whiz-bang "ruby slipper" shoe.

I found it kind of curious.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 06:33 AM
. . . so curious to me. He has used the same Selle San Marco, uh, Rolls(?) Saddle for years, and he wouldn’t update his pedals until Shimano designed one especially for him. I’m sure he will break out the good stuff for the Tour.

BBDave

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Dave, buddy, pal -

Go get your coffee and let's talk:cool:

I'm talking basics here. Frame and shoes.

Some pretty majorc stuff that his biggest equipment folks (Trek, Nike) are pushing as the equipment that LA uses, and therfore we should too.

I figure his saddle is whatever makes his butt happy (where is THAT smiley when you need it?) and the pedals would be whatever gives him confidence that there won't be a repeat of last year's clip-out.

BTW, I should know next week what the rooming situation will be shaking out like for Open House.

BK

Johny
02-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Lance has used the "Concor" saddle.

BTW, high-end Nike cycling clothing has been made by Giordana in Italy and Lance's Nike shoes were at least made by Shimano (dunno the situation now).

I am getting less intersted in what the pros wear these days... Anyway, team replicas we buy are usually not the same stuff (except the logos) used by the pros in the races.

If you are really curious: I like Sidi shoes (mega), Time pedals (old ones and new Impacts), Biemme 8-panel bibshorts, Selle Italia Turbomatic saddles, and a Colnago C40.

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 09:45 AM
. . . a hundred reasons why he is doing this. This early in the season there could be a very real possibilitiy that his races Madones are not ready yet. There may also have been delays getting things shipped, or there may be contract conditions that do not govern this race. could be many reasons we know nothing about.

I agree, though, that it does seem curious.

BBDave

Climb01742
02-20-2004, 09:46 AM
according to reports i've read, lance has spent the winter tweaking his TT position and possibly equipment. he chose the race in portugal only after they agreed to add a TT. lance wanted to race-test his new "improvements". interesting his focus on TTing, since he didn't win one during last year's tour. maybe he sees it now as his weakness, or as where he can improve more. say what you will about him, the man never rests on his laurels...or his butt.

JohnS
02-20-2004, 09:49 AM
It could be a psychological ploy. He goes out and sees what he can do against the competition on his "old, slow, heavy" equipment, knowing that he'll be faster on the new stuff.

Johny
02-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by JohnS
It could be a psychological ploy. He goes out and sees what he can do against the competition on his "old, slow, heavy" equipment, knowing that he'll be faster on the new stuff.

Actually, Lance was riding a fixie in the race. He also carried water bottles up the mountains for all his team mates. :)

mavic1010
02-20-2004, 10:06 AM
From what I've seen (pics of USPS camps and Tour of Algarve), the entire USPS team is riding the Madone (including Lance). The entire team got the new rides when they were out here in Solvang.

Giordana makes the Nike clothes, and DMT makes the Nike shoes.

Bruce, do you have a link of the pic of lance riding an 110 oclv?

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Mavic;

The pictures I saw were off the link on the Lance Armstrong website: www.lancearmstrong.com

The first picture that comes up is the one I am talking about.

BK

mavic1010
02-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Bruce:

That's the Madone....

Those nike shoes were supposedly to be released last Nov....nothing yet.....

Johny
02-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mavic1010
From what I've seen (pics of USPS camps and Tour of Algarve), the entire USPS team is riding the Madone (including Lance). The entire team got the new rides when they were out here in Solvang.

Giordana makes the Nike clothes, and DMT makes the Nike shoes.

Bruce, do you have a link of the pic of lance riding an 110 oclv?

Mavic,

I also think it is a Madone. http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04algarveSt2-009000

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Mavic & Johny;

Look at the seatube in those pictures. There is no wing/sail/fairing whatever you wish to call it in front of the rear wheel.

Every picture I have seen of the Madone has that odd shaped seat tube.

That is why I question the bike frame.

I actually thought they had gone the opposite way with the shoes and were using the 3 velcro straps with all those wierd strips and mesh.

BK

dirtdigger88
02-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Bruce,

If you are look at Lance's web site, then scroll down to the bottom picture of George. Look at where the "sail" starts on that bike, it is below the white Trek USPS sticker. I think Lance's calf is just blocking it in his picture. The top tube is a Madone, look at the flair at the head tube. As far a the shoes and strap, I got no clue. Sorry

dirtdigger88
02-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Ok now I looked at the Gram Watson pix and I am confused, the front triangle looks like a Madone, but I agree, I do not see the sail? I know let's all plan a trip to France in July so we can first hand see what the boys in blue are ridding:banana:

Johny
02-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Bruce,

You're right. It is strange. Look at this picture also. Gorge's bike is diifferent from Lance's.
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04algarveSt2

and

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04algarveSt2-009000

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 11:19 AM
At least I'm not hallucinating (at least about the pictures)

Lance riding something different from the rest of the boys, now there's a novel concept!:D

I all sounds like the whole reason the team is even there is mostly for the TT and to test Lance's new TT position and bike under race conditions.

I like the July trip idea but unfortunately can't make it this year.

Sounds like a great idea for a Serotta sponsored tour though...

onward and upward...

BK

Keith A
02-20-2004, 11:19 AM
It appears to me that Lance is riding another prototype -- just like he was riding the Madone before it was released. I own a 5500 which is the standard OCLV and the bike Lance is riding is not a 5500/5900 or a Madone.

The Madone also has an aero shaped down tube which this bike doesn't have. However, it does have the top tube shape and seat stays of the Madone. I would speculate that this will be Madone Superlight -- just like the 5900 is the Superlight version of the 5500.

Keith A
02-20-2004, 11:22 AM
One other interesting point -- LA is using his "training" crankset used to measure his power output.

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 11:36 AM
From the AP wire here at the paper.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 11:37 AM
. . . that's even BETTER! Also from the Algarve race. Enjoy! :D
BBD

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 12:15 PM
. . . another. This one just came in.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Here it is . . .

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 12:27 PM
BBD;

Once again you have come through in the clutch.

Pretty cool stuff for wire service photos.

BK

Climb01742
02-20-2004, 12:47 PM
looking at lance's legs, he looks in darn good shape for feb. is it ok for one man to look at another man's legs? :confused:

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 12:49 PM
. . . those are MY legs. Lance let me borrow his bike! :beer:

BBDave

oracle
02-20-2004, 12:50 PM
as long as you dont get too exited but then again, that's ok too.

oracle

Climb01742
02-20-2004, 12:56 PM
define "too" excited. on second thought, don't.
:eek:

BumbleBeeDave
02-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Here's the latest one--I cannot believe how many photos AP is moving of this piss-ant little Portugese stage race just because LA is out for a training ride!

But anyway, this should allow us to see enough to settle this once*and*for*all.

Fairings? We don' need no stinkin' FAIRINGS!

BBD

JohnS
02-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Ya'll need to get outside more. There must be some weird fumes wherever you are. This thread is more disgusting (if possible) than the legshaving one.

Climb01742
02-20-2004, 01:08 PM
i read that lance liked the ride of the 5900 more than the madone. so maybe this bike is trying to capture the best of both frames?

johns--are we touching a nerve? wanna talk about anything? we're here for ya, buddy. ;)

oracle
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
his frame looks shorter than normal, his position looks a bit awkward, bunched up.