PDA

View Full Version : Making a Campy freehub *quiet* SOLVED

toosahn
04-30-2012, 02:09 AM
So here's the conundrum. I have two sets of wheels: One with 32h Campy Record 10 silver hubs, the other with 36h Campy Record 10 silver hubs. As far as I know, they are the same hubs but just different drilllings.

However, the 36h rear hub has a very very quiet freehub which I appreciate. I love biking with a near silent freehub (I know it's potentially dangerous so don't comment on that). On the other hand, the freehub on the 32h set is louder (not as loud as a Chris King freehub, but orders of magnitude louder than the 36h rear hub).

My question: is this a design difference? I different in models? Or is there a way I can make the freehub on the rear 32h hub just as quiet.

Thanks!

ultraman6970
04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Maybe adding grease to the pawls? but the issue with this is that the pawls may get sticky if you add too much.

In all the brands campy hubs are considerable nosier than shimano.

nighthawk
04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Ha, very timely post. On my rides this weekend it suddenly dawned on me how noisy my rear hub is (campy record 10spd - 32)...
Not excessive by any means, but maybe louder than expected from Campy?
Spins fine, so I'm not concerned... And certainly not angry bee sound.

oldpotatoe
04-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Ha, very timely post. On my rides this weekend it suddenly dawned on me how noisy my rear hub is (campy record 10spd - 32)...
Not excessive by any means, but maybe louder than expected from Campy?
Spins fine, so I'm not concerned... And certainly not angry bee sound.

3 pawl system, very thin coat of grease on the ratchet ring, oil on the pawls. Generally speaking, some 'noise' when freewheeling means the pawls are working.

maximus
04-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Ha, I am curious how to do this myself.

I have a set of 10s Chorus hubs and the freewheel is LOUD. So loud I don't even bother with a bell for the walker/runner crowd on the trail. I just come up behind them and coast. You'd think a pack of rabid squirrels was on their tail.

Mike748
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I think they get quieter with age too.

Sometimes I can get the Cicada's chirping just by coasting.

TMB
04-30-2012, 09:07 AM
They don't make any noise at all if you keep pedaling!

jdhansen63
04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
When I first got my Neutrons, they were completely silent. Over time they have gotten noisier. Not as bad a CK though.

Dekonick
04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I consider it a sign of quality - the pawls work! Everything Campy gives you nice feedback. I don't mind the sound... in fact, I enjoy it.

ultraman6970
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Super easy... you take the freehub body out, you put some light grease in the hub mechanism where the pawls click... then grab a string to compress the pawls, put the free hub body in.. remove the string, move the freehub body deeper and tight the cones and stuff...

Done :P

Ha, I am curious how to do this myself.

I have a set of 10s Chorus hubs and the freewheel is LOUD. So loud I don't even bother with a bell for the walker/runner crowd on the trail. I just come up behind them and coast. You'd think a pack of rabid squirrels was on their tail.

phoenix
04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Everything Campy gives you nice feedback. I don't mind the sound... in fact, I enjoy it.

Agreed

Grant McLean
04-30-2012, 10:13 AM
When I first got my Neutrons, they were completely silent. Over time they have gotten noisier.

This is common, as a noisy campagnolo freehub is a dry one.
A small amount of oil makes a huge difference in the noise level.

Remove the locking nut from the right side of the axle, and slip the
cassette body a few mm's away from the hub flange until you have
just enough space to put a few drops of a medium weight oil in there.
(not something too thin like a teflon chain lube)

Disassembling and cleaning is good if you're up for it too.

-g

bfd
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM

-g

Also, if you have a Record rear hub, doesn't the freehub have a lube port built into it? It should look like this one here:

http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productcart/pc/catalog/fhre015tti_1311_large.jpg

If so, try putting in some thick oil like Phil Tenacious oil. That should help quiet things down. Good Luck!

toosahn
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM

-g

Ok so this worked. I undid the locknut and then stuck a bunch of grease and bar and chain oil in there to keep things quiet.

Very happy :banana:

I will use the oil port next time, however.

Thanks!

toosahn
04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Also, if you have a Record rear hub, doesn't the freehub have a lube port built into it? It should look like this one here:

If so, try putting in some thick oil like Phil Tenacious oil. That should help quiet things down. Good Luck!

If I'm not mistaken, normal Bar and Chain oil is the same as Phil Tenacious (cheaper too!).

Hindmost
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

That port will get you oil into the two cartridge bearings. If you put in enough it will leak into the ratchet mech and the hub bearings. Grant M. posted the method I favor.

bfd
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM
That port will get you oil into the two cartridge bearings. If you put in enough it will leak into the ratchet mech and the hub bearings. Grant M. posted the method I favor.

Thanks. If there's only two cartridge bearings inside the Record freehub, what is the purpose of the port?

Personally, I only have a Chorus rear hub, no lube port on freehub, so to make it more quiet, I too use Grant M's method. Good Luck!

Jaq
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks. If there's only two cartridge bearings inside the Record freehub, what is the purpose of the port?

Personally, I only have a Chorus rear hub, no lube port on freehub, so to make it more quiet, I too use Grant M's method. Good Luck!

The purpose of the oil port is to allow you to lubricate the bearings without having to disassemble the hub.

Mike748
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I think the purpose is to make it look different than the Chorus free hub. Your going to oil your sealed bearings thru that hole?

Same with the oil port on the OS hub imho. Nice aesthetic tie to the "Record" of old, but pretty useless.

Jaq
04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
The lip-seal (HB-RE021) is outboard of the bearings.

laager
12-17-2013, 06:05 PM