PDA

View Full Version : Expensive day of racing

LegendRider
04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Saw this after the masters crit in Roswell, GA this afternoon. It's a Lightweight Obermayer.

peanutgallery
04-29-2012, 07:43 PM
that's the risk, surprised we don't see more

e-RICHIE
04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder how well the rider would have done had he made it to the finish line atmo. That's an expensive hobby right there.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::):p
:):cool::p
:p:cool::)

AngryScientist
04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
here-in lies the problem with uber-expensive wheels, they're only faster if you finish on them.

MattTuck
04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Unless you're a professional, and get paid to ride, and given gear to ride or if you're rich... I don't understand why you wouldn't race on EA50 or EA70 (or similar)... IMO.

EricEstlund
04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Is the rider in better shape?

benitosan1972
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
$6000 accident, and that doesn't even take into consideration any damage to the bike, clothing, or the rider's body... hope he/she is alright

as everyone has said here, unless you are sponsored, mega-rich, or just plain don't care, i can't see why you'd want to race crits with that

LegendRider
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
The rider is fine. And, by the way, he's not just a rich hobbyist. He won TWO masters national titles last year alone. He's a past Welsh national champion. He has a whole host of other impressive results as well.

FlashUNC
04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
That'll buff out.

Vientomas
04-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Saw this after the masters crit in Roswell, GA this afternoon. It WAS a Lightweight Obermayer.

Minor editing. ;)

rugbysecondrow
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
For Sale, one Lightweight Obermayer rear wheel. Front is not available.

roguedog
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Um..ouch... in so many ways.

reggiebaseball
04-29-2012, 08:21 PM
If he has ServiceUp (Lightweights warranty program) he will get a replacement free of charge.

Lightweights are meant to be raced!
Would you feel better if this wheel looked pristine on a gold dipped Dogma Di69 in some dentists garage?

Joachim
04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
The rider is fine. And, by the way, he's not just a rich hobbyist. He won TWO masters national titles last year alone. He's a past Welsh national champion. He has a whole host of other impressive results as well.

With those results he should be able to win the crit on 32 3x wheels. And the crash would have been much cheaper.

earlfoss
04-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Heh, send to Calfee to repair....

majorpat
04-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Is it out of true now...?

Ti Designs
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
For a cat 3 race that's an expensive wheel. For a masters race it's probably about average...

onsight512
04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
That'll buff out.

classic. lol.

beeatnik
04-29-2012, 10:46 PM

What's he doing in Georgia?

Fiertetimestwo
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
it'll need some duct tape before you could start buffing.

rain dogs
04-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Would you feel better if this wheel looked pristine on a gold dipped Dogma Di69 in some dentists garage?

Man, those dentists always get such a bad rap... it's the flossing isn't it?

rustychisel
04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
comeuppance.

It's the pain and humiliation they inflict. :eek:

Ain't payback a bitch?

William
04-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Saw this after the masters crit in Roswell, GA this afternoon. It's a Lightweight Obermayer.

Is the Squirrel still alive???

;)

William

oldguy00
04-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Unless you're a professional, and get paid to ride, and given gear to ride or if you're rich... I don't understand why you wouldn't race on EA50 or EA70 (or similar)... IMO.

Cause life is too short to ride cheap wheels (if you can afford better).
None of us need more than a walmart frame and parts either.
And, cost is relative. What may be a fortune to you and I might be pocket change to him/her.

Kirk Pacenti
04-30-2012, 07:16 AM
And, cost is relative. What may be a fortune to you and I might be pocket change to him/her.

Agreed.

Friend #1 recently bought a new 911. When friend #2 asked "how much is the monthly payment?" Friend #1 said, "what payment?"... He wrote a check for the car and drove it home. Seems like a pretty good way to turn $120K into $90K in about an hour (to me), but to each their own.

Cheers,
KP

oldpotatoe
04-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Warranty!!!

tsarpepe
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM
The skewer still looks to be in good shape. Why did he leave it there?

nm87710
04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry to see

benitosan1972
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't bring a GT2 to a Demolition Derby,
I'd rather be guilty of using it for weekend cruising only.
That Lightweight is beyond "worn" or used, but I agree it's had it's day.

Fixed
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
lightweight hmm
cheers :butt:

laupsi
04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
is it me or are the jabs directed at this thread because of the high $$$ issue?

not only is racing a hugh investment in time, some of us if not all go to great extremes financially to support our passion. some of us have been racing for over 20 years, we've tried just about every piece of new fangled equipment out there and continue to want to experience all the sport has to offer.

in many instances the $ or $$$ spent are critical but we make the "sacrifice" anyway simply because that's what we do... perhaps it's the "misery loves company" effect shining through in the generally negative responses?

EDS
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't see any issues with using race wheels in races, even if that means trashing them. Afterall, a race is when you need/want the aero/weight advantages.

What I don't understand is riding race wheels to the coffee shop, unless it is post race. Seems to me you don't need the aero or weight advantages during a training ride.

tannhauser
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
With those results he should be able to win the crit on 32 3x wheels. And the crash would have been much cheaper.

"With those results he should be able to win the crit on 32 3x wheels. And the crash would have been much cheaper.

These two statements do not go together.

Joachim
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
"With those results he should be able to win the crit on 32 3x wheels. And the crash would have been much cheaper.

These two statements do not go together.

Just to please you...

With those results he should be able to win any crit on 32 3x wheels. Alternatively, a crash will be much cheaper.

tannhauser
04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Just to please you...

With those results he should be able to win any crit on 32 3x wheels. Alternatively, a crash will be much cheaper.

Logical fallacy. These wheels are faster under this engine, there is no doubt. I'm not sure you understand the dynamics of a crit.

His money, his choice.

Joachim
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Logical fallacy. These wheels are faster under this engine, there is no doubt. I'm not sure you understand the dynamics of a crit.

His money, his choice.

I thought the weather has improved....

tannhauser
04-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I thought the weather has improved....

Hey you said it!

It's gorgeous out but a little cold. Gonna wait for it to warm up a bit to ride my non-Lightweight non-32x wheels.

54ny77
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I have several buddies that ride & race with very high end gear, and quite successfully. They want the best stuff they can afford, and don't spend any time (or very little time) on the internet reading threads about how, given their strength and speed, they could just as easily win races on 15 gauge 32 spoke MA40 clinchers with vintage Avocet smooth tread tires mounted on a Nishiki Olympic 12 road bike with Shimano 600. :bike:

Everyone's mileage, as they say, varies! ;)

Joachim
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey you said it!

It's gorgeous out but a little cold. Gonna wait for it to warm up a bit to ride my non-Lightweight non-32x wheels.

Your money, your choice. I prefer my Rzr's.

MasterOMayhem
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
now he can make one of these

http://www.light-bikes.de/website/new/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cs-buegel.jpg

AngryScientist
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM

that's pretty awesome actually.

MasterOMayhem
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
they have them for sale for 299 euros

http://www.light-bikes.de/website/new/2010/01/22/carbonsports-geht-neue-wege

craptacular
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM

I'm going to buy the mirror and lace up those rims.

tuxbailey
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM

:eek:

William
04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

That's funny.:beer:

William

54ny77
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Finally, the perfect hangar from which to hang the multiple Assos SS.13 jerseys currently tossed in a tupperware bin.

;)

torquer
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Actually, he can make three.
And I like the mirror on the light-bikes site; perfect for checking that your Assos glasses are just right.

Fixed
04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Logical fallacy. r . I'm not sure you understand the dynamics of a crit.

i can safely say that is not the case
he has forgotten more about races than most will ever know
cheers

nightfend
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
It's fun to think you would have to pay full price to replace an expensive wheel. But, the reality is, the crash replacements for high-end wheels usually range at most in the $600 range. And, as others have said, if you have one of the wheel protection plans, the replacement is free. Mavic and Reynold's offer similar wheel protection plans.

tannhauser
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
i can safely say that is not the case
he has forgotten more about races than most will ever know
cheers

Ah, ok then that's the explanation.

laupsi
04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
not a lightweight salesman and have to admit I too was against the pricing structure of these wheels. having ridden them for about 500 miles I can say they're the best wheels I have ridden, ever!

does the added $2,500 in cost equate to the better ride? hard to say, but until there's another product out there, perhaps there is I just haven't ridden them, one would have to say yes.

Rueda Tropical
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
You only live once.

If that's his passion and sounds like he is good at it and thats a higher priority for his cash then whatever else he could have done with it, then the money for him was well spent.

Is it really worth plunking down that much cash for those wheels if you never get to use them the way they where intended? It's like buying a bad ass 4x4 and never taking it off road. Or a stripped down track car that never sees the track. People spend way more to climb Everest or hunt or fish or bird watch in remote locations just for the experience of it.

What ever floats you boat.

FixedNotBroken
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
not a lightweight salesman and have to admit I too was against the pricing structure of these wheels. having ridden them for about 500 miles I can say they're the best wheels I have ridden, ever!

does the added $2,500 in cost equate to the better ride? hard to say, but until there's another product out there, perhaps there is I just haven't ridden them, one would have to say yes.

How much do they retail for? The set that is.

LegendRider
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM

http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/Wheelsets/Lightweight/

beeatnik
04-30-2012, 05:59 PM

FixedNotBroken
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Uhhh, nice.

54ny77
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
it's interesting that these wheels have been the top dog for what, 15+ years, to the point that pro teams (or riders) bought 'em (or maybe still buy 'em) for their own use?

FixedNotBroken
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
it's interesting that these wheels have been the top dog for what, 15+ years, to the point that pro teams (or riders) bought 'em (or maybe still buy 'em) for their own use?

What teams ride these? How are they comparable to enve's/Reynolds/zipp/etc?

tiretrax
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Man, those dentists always get such a bad rap... it's the flossing isn't it?

Now that it's the Paceline, are we going AntiDentite?

54ny77
04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Dunno 'bout today, but check google and you'll read everything from team use (Milram), Lance, Pantani, Ullrich, Riis, etc. etc.

I haven't the slightest idea how they compare to anything other than the price of my car, sorry. ;)

LegendRider
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Now that it's the Paceline, are we going AntiDentite?

My dentist rides a carbon Ibis mountain bike. It's usually on the back of his SUV when I'm at his office for a cleaning...

akelman
04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
How are they comparable to enve's/Reynolds/zipp/etc?

They are more expensive. Kidding aside, someone here had a set for sale at one point. Maybe Z3C? I honestly can't recall, but they were up for a great price (for what they are).

FixedNotBroken
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
They are more expensive. Kidding aside, someone here had a set for sale at one point. Maybe Z3C? I honestly can't recall, but they were up for a great price (for what they are).

On their website the max rider weight ranged from 90kg-120kg? Conversion to pounds is about 1kg=2.2046 pounds I think. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

laupsi
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM

many pro riders use them, beginning w/BR when he won the TDF. what year was that??? I don't know if info on these riders is public, many in the pro peleton would personally pay for the Lightweights in lieu of using the sponsored wheels available for them and their team. Quite the sales pitch wouldn't you say?!

the most noticeable difference besides their "lightweight" is the stiffness and the ability to transform an okay bike handler into someone who descends w/confidence and skill. These wheels literally "hug" the road, they remain complaint in cornering and accelerate like nothing else. I was able to try a pair while in Majorca, was there w/a few pros as well. I stuck to my guns and refused to believe the hype. I rode them for 2 straight days, around 125 miles and never looked back. I am descending now like a bandit and know I can go faster.

MealsOnWheels
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Why didn't he take this home? He has a perfectly good skewer, a spare tire and a hub. Heck, you can use what's left for fetch with fido.

handsomerob
04-30-2012, 08:23 PM

I Live in TN but was in Atlanta for a wedding last weekend and went to Atlanta Cycles just to look around. Among a number of "firsts" in person... I saw a Lightweight wheel... but only the front... The rear wheel was maybe a Zipp ( can't remember). The bike was a racers bike and his name was on the top tube. I wonder if that wheel was his.

Btw... Atlanta Cycles was a Really awesome shop, had some beautiful really high end stuff (also saw some Super Record and a really nice Vamoots) but zero snootiness from the very knowledgable sales staff.

cachagua
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Atlanta Cycling, is that the place? I see their address is actually Atlanta, has the city metastasized that far? That wasn't Atlanta when I lived there... but that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I've sometimes been curious what good shops there are there nowadays. Bicycle South in Decatur is still in business (used to work there), still run by Fred Boykin -- stop in and tell him Noogey says hi (He'll be totally mystified, probably doesn't remember that was his nickname for me).

But I digress. Carbon wheels: I would not with a ten foot pole, but smoke 'em if you got 'em. Someone's comment about making you a better descender -- how might that work? Resiliency? Could you mimic the effect with another (less expensive) material? Ric Hjertberg has awful good things to say about the wood rims he sells, claiming better road-holding due to the wood's mechanical properties... but we note he sells carbon wheels too.

Lucky for me, I can be purely curious without having to worry about it -- I'm too poor for a new pair of Open Pros, let alone anything exotic!

LegendRider
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I Live in TN but was in Atlanta for a wedding last weekend and went to Atlanta Cycles just to look around. Among a number of "firsts" in person... I saw a Lightweight wheel... but only the front... The rear wheel was maybe a Zipp ( can't remember). The bike was a racers bike and his name was on the top tube. I wonder if that wheel was his.

The racer who broke the Lightweight is on a team sponsored by Atlanta Cycling. It may very well have been his bike, because I know only one other rider who owns Lightweights in Atlanta.

bostondrunk
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
It's just a wheel, folks, get over it.
If everyone here thinks nothing strange of spending 5k for a custom steel frameset, then what is the issue with a 4k wheelset?
If I didn't have $1600 per month in daycare expenses, I'd probably have a set too..............well......probably not, but to each their own.

GregL
05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
MY $0.02: Lightweights are top-end racing wheels. I'm glad to see them used for their intended purpose, whether under a pro, masters, or category rider. A few years back, I saw a Cervelo R3SL with full SR11 and Lightweight Ventoux wheels next to me in a local masters pack. I thought it was great that the bike was getting raced as opposed to being a conversation piece in someone's den. My kind of masters racer!

- Greg

laupsi
05-01-2012, 12:46 PM
But I digress. Carbon wheels: I would not with a ten foot pole, but smoke 'em if you got 'em. Someone's comment about making you a better descender -- how might that work? Resiliency? Could you mimic the effect with another (less expensive) material? Ric Hjertberg has awful good things to say about the wood rims he sells, claiming better road-holding due to the wood's mechanical properties... but we note he sells carbon wheels too.

Lucky for me, I can be purely curious without having to worry about it -- I'm too poor for a new pair of Open Pros, let alone anything exotic!

if you ever get a chance to demo a set please do. cannot explain it, how do you explain to someone who's never felt comfortable w/their balance how to ride a two wheeled bike? the effect of gunning downhill at 50 mph and know if you could only go faster you would. I'm not a risk taker but on those wheels it just feels right.

nebraskacycling
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Why didn't he take this home? He has a perfectly good skewer, a spare tire and a hub. Heck, you can use what's left for fetch with fido.

Funny I was wondering the same thing. Even if the wheel is trashed; there is still some money sitting there. Recently I joined the real world (got my first job) and now I have come to realize that every dollar matters -- for most people that is.

redir
05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
is it me or are the jabs directed at this thread because of the high $$$ issue?

not only is racing a hugh investment in time, some of us if not all go to great extremes financially to support our passion. some of us have been racing for over 20 years, we've tried just about every piece of new fangled equipment out there and continue to want to experience all the sport has to offer.

in many instances the $ or $$$ spent are critical but we make the "sacrifice" anyway simply because that's what we do... perhaps it's the "misery loves company" effect shining through in the generally negative responses?

The Germans call it Schadenfreude. And being German made wheels I guess that term has been thrown around a lot in the office.

I think it has more to do with the fact that these wheels will really not make all that much of a difference to el cheapo Neuvations or some other Taiwan factory carbon wheel. Up to a certain threshold the dollar per gramme cost just gets ridiculous.

Personally I don't have enough money to buy something like that and if I did I would rather give the money to someone who really needs it, but I do have enough to buy for example some nice used Dura Ace or other bling carbon wheels but I am also realistic enough to know that it's not gonna make a difference. And I am fortunate enough to know this from experience too.

If I paid $4k for a set of wheels I'd think they made me faster too if for anything to not think myself a fool for trying to buy speed.

laupsi
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Personally I don't have enough money to buy something like that and if I did I would rather give the money to someone who really needs it, but I do have enough to buy for example some nice used Dura Ace or other bling carbon wheels but I am also realistic enough to know that it's not gonna make a difference. And I am fortunate enough to know this from experience too.

If I paid $4k for a set of wheels I'd think they made me faster too if for anything to not think myself a fool for trying to buy speed.

don't confuse going faster w/having an "experience". high dollar items are just that, expensive. however be it high or low cost if the item produces a positive effect, be it real or imagined, the consumer is getting something for his/her money. I do not bragg that LWW's make me "go faster". they simply ride better than anything I have tried to date.

I will also add that spending money is very persona.l all of us have different reasons spending where we spend. these reasons do not have to be "qualified" and say nothing about how much income one has or how much one chooses to offer to charity, or spend on rent/mortgage, education, etc... :no:

pedlpwrd
05-10-2012, 04:03 AM
That'll buff out.

I don't know how it is that this hit my "funny bone" so hard. But I've just laughed untill I could only giggle ( a term men should never really have to use lol) and I cried. That was a funny McGyver sort of statement and I appreciated it's humor! Thanks!