PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Michelins, Miles and Lone Oak Drive = my col de la Madone

Viper
04-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Yesterday I worked with Michelins of a different kind, Pilot Sports. It was time to take off the winter tires, car has been off the road for about a month while I rebuilt the transmission and this was the first weekend to get er' done. It was overcast and chilly yesterday and I told myself, "Don't fret if you don't ride. Make up for it on Sunday." Today's forecast was warmer and I was pumped up to ride.

I found the shoes I've been looking for, finally, on Craig's List. Size 45, Nike Poggio. Christ these things are lightweight. I put on my new CAPO bib and Giro retro gloves. I really dig CAPO's stuff, they make great clothes at a great price, plus their font is very Battlestar Galactica-ish.

I had some homemade macaroon's before I clipped-in and I wore a watch; my computer isn't on my bike yet and I promised myself to do two things today, ride for three hours straight and to tackle Lone Oake Drive. The hill in Centerport, Lone Oak Drive, isn't that long, but it serves as my marker. My test. I know I am not in summer cycling shape, but I've worked hard all winter in the gym, I have the FUSO dialed in, found this ancient Selle Professional saddle on ebay, love it and I feel good on the bike. So I knew going into Lone Oak Drive that today wouldn't be a no-chain ride, but I was curious.

I am an athlete. I used to be an ectomorph, but spent so much time in the gym lifting, that I built a lot of mesomorph traits. In July, my upper body will wilt a little from all the riding and the golf practice, but for now I am +9 lbs and I wanted to judge my fitness against my old friend, Lone Oak Drive.

Typically you'll see a 13/29 cassette or even a compact crankset on my bikes. The FUSO has a 12/25 with 53/39 and I have nine pounds of stuff on me that needs to melt away. Lone Oak I thought, "This ought to be fun." I wore a watch and while the goal was to ride for three hours, the main use of the watch was to measure my sprint up Lone Oak Drive: you don't climb it, you sprint it.

Training for the 3S3M Challenge years ago, I reacquanited my legs with my childhood climb. I know Lone Oak to be a stiff hill and by the time I was done training on her, doing it ten times in a row, every three days, I knew every mailbox and driveway and I knew exactly how far I could sprint in a seated position until I had to stand. I would challenge myself back then, to see if I could go one more mailbox before standing. Sometimes I would sprint Lone Oak standing the entire time. The games we play.

I grew up in Centerport, NY, a very hilly little town. Millions of years ago the glaciers wiped out Long Island and made it as flat as a pancake, except the North Shore. As a ten year old twirp, I used to ride my 32lb. Schwinn Collegiate Sport up Lone Oak and every other hill in town. There are about twenty-five serious, stiff, half-mile or slightly longer climbs within a stone's throw of my driveway.

I didn't set any personal record today up Lone Oak, but I did well enough that I smirked as I looked at my Seiko. I was pleased my heart rate came back down, quickly and maybe it was karma, there was an awesome Lemonade Stand at the corner. The pink drink even came with an umbrella.

Stopping over my little nephew's house, Nephew # 3 had a meltdown. He saw my bike and had a little tantrum, telling his parents, "I wanna bike ride too! I want a bike like that! I want a bike like that!! I want a bike like that!!!." He wasn't allowed to ride today. He has very bad allergies, his tiny nose was bleeding on Friday from the spray his mom has to put into it, so I told him, "Dude, next Saturday, I am going to save some money. Do chores and save money (hint kiddo). I am going to come over on my bike, then you, me and your dad will ride bikes to the pizza store!"

He calmed down, stopped crying and asked, "Jimmy's Pizza store?".
"Yes little one" I replied. "I used to ride to Jimmy's when I was your age, so get your bike ready, blow your nose, get your nose ready for a BIG BIKE RIDE next weekend."

I drove home, past my old Church, where I was Baptized, Confirmed and haven't been since 9/11/01. I went to Mass that evening, the day of the terror attacks, it was something I will never, ever forget. The priest's face was red, his neck purple and he spoke about the concept of revenge, citing Chapter, Verse and quoting the devil.

I also made a point to stop at my Dad's old automotive repair shop. I grew up there as a kid, learned to repair cars, would go fishing for snappers and blues on the bridge, a short walk from the shop and that candy-apple red 1980 Schwinn Collegiate Sport went with me everywhere.

Off I went, back down Lone Oak Drive, see you soon old friend.

I headed to my LPJ (local pizza joint) and grabbed some pasta and meatballs for dinner. My new frame pump was rattling a little up front, so I put a piece of a pine wood chip between it and the frame. I thought to myself, "You gave the dude on the Forum from North Carolina ten pounds of bs about training hard, with his elbow that's in fourteen pieces...so take the long way home and sprint."

I had a nice, "quiet" ride home. The baggie which holds my phone within my back jersey pocket, the plastic was filled with steam and I rode redline for a long, long time. It's the hardest effort I've put on a bike in a few years.

It was a jolt. I needed it. It's time. The sleeper has awakened.

Three+ hours on the bike. T
There was a chain today, but the legs and heart felt great.
I earned one beer.
Going to hit the couch and watch 'Sherlock', my latest show.
Thanks to thwart, I like my bike a whole lot.
And so do my nephews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnAF652bWc

Soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_nr-SomSg

mike p
04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Great report Vipe, I can relate as we all have our own " lone oak drive/madone/falls overlook road" that we use as a barometer. Great pic's too.

Mike

jr59
04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Good report.

But, we will need a follow up next week.
There will be no shorting the little guy on his ride to the pizza shop! :no:

jghall
04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Always enjoy the stories Vipe. And the food pictures too. Keep them coming.

rounder
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Great ride report.

Also trying to get into summer shape. Pilot Sports on our cars also (all season). You're other car is an RR?

thwart
04-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Great report.

Nephews have good taste in bikes...

thinpin
04-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Nephews want what their cool uncles have. You're in for now.
9lbs to shed and you earned a beer?
Nice feel to the story.

Viper
04-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Nephews want what their cool uncles have. You're in for now.
9lbs to shed and you earned a beer?
Nice feel to the story.

I'm in what some you'd call Cross-shape. I mock "Cross-rocks" as a Drinking Game where a Bike Race breaks out. I'm built like a sprinter, but it's fun to whittle down for a few months of summer. What I refer to as "Speedo" shape.

I am not a cyclist, biking is one thing I do. And good news, it's six pounds, weighed myself this morning. I need more sunshine, I am a creature of the rays and April was kinda crummy for biking (March was great but I was traveling a lot). Yesterday was 50-ish and windy, still wearing a vest/gilet.

It's sad what many local organizers and racers do with their cycling and bike races. There was a Facebooker who posted about how killer a Single Speed race was, with Beer Stations on the course. Wow. How cool. Coke for me, seltzer with lemon, fresh pasta, hearty meatballs and one nice IPA or Pale Ale afterwards.

Hey, I stock Coopers Pale Ale once in a while and here's Men At Work's best:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gArUEEE1OF8

:beer: