PDA

View Full Version : OT: labor day question: do you like your job?

Climb01742
09-05-2005, 04:21 PM
if you do like your job, can you pinpoint why? if you don't, can you figure out why?

lately, i've liked my job less. (since i'm a partner in my own biz, who's fault is that? :rolleyes: ) the times i don't like my job are the times when my personal values don't line up with what i'm doing, work-wise. i'm most happy when my job either expresses or aligns with something inside of me. most unhappy with who i am conflicts with what i'm doing.

you?

(tangentially related bike content: lately i'm happiest when i'm riding or talking to my daughter as we're driving somewhere, 'cause it's usually a few minutes of uninterrupted, undistracted dad-daughter time.)

Bill Bove
09-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Great question oh climbomissimo-san! Today, I opened the shop for no other reason than I had nothing better to do. after a fairly busy morning a young women brings her POS wally-mart bike in with a flat. As I begin to remove the rear wheel (it's always the rear) parts begin to fall of this total POS, but it's her only form of transportation to work so who am I get snobby to her about it. i get the tube changed out and the damn wheel needs major truing before it will pass thru the brake pads, my hands are already filthy to my elbows and she's waiting, patiently. I'm ready to tell her her bike is trashed and I don't want to work on it. But I finnally get the wheel spinning and the brakes working. I give it back to her and she tries to give me a five dollar tip but I refuse because I feel bad about curseing her bike for so long under my breath by saying thanks but I'm the owner and other people need it more than me. I'm ready to go home now, enough fun for one day. then this guy who has been shopping for a bike for months comes in. He has test ridden the same two or three bikes over and over again. We have gone over and over his size again and again. And we did it again. Still no purchase. It's only a three hundred dollar bike he's buying but maybe to him three hundred dollars is still a lot to spend on a bike. Now I'm curseing at myself for opening the shop, I should have found something better to do. Then one of my customers who has turned into a riding buddy and is turning into a good friend comes through the door with a big, a really big plate of BBQ for me. Really, really good BBQ. Ribs, steak, chicken. Really good ribs, steak and chicken.

I love my job.

Skrawny
09-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Boy did you ask the right question... I am working today and pretty miffed about it.

I like the stuff I do, but I don't like the fact that I work 12 hrs a day and only have about 1/2 the weekends away from work. I am still in training (cardiology), and will be for the next 3 years, so I am working considerably harder than I am getting paid for.

I don't yet have a family, nor even a girlfriend ( :( ) at this time, so I can be pretty selfish about my free time. I don't know how those with significant others do it.

I REALLY don't like the fact that it is 70 degrees out, my friends are on a great ride, and I have to skip it all to work.
grumble, grumble, grumble...
-s

znfdl
09-05-2005, 04:46 PM
I actually really like my job.

Currently I do research and write papers. I also get to ride my bike 20 miles each to and from work.

I get to do research on financial stoachstic simulation models, which has been an interest of mine for many years. I will get to do reserach for another year before, we start to build the model. What is not to like?

As for my commute, I ride 2 miles on a back road, to 17 miles on the W&OD bike trail west of DC and then 1/2 mile on DC streets. This commute is probably much safer than driving.

Overall, I would rate my job :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: out of 5

csm
09-05-2005, 05:50 PM
no.

KirkKaas
09-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I am a first grade teacher who spent the day getting ready for Wednesday, the first day of school. I love my job.

Kirk

rePhil
09-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I used to think I had the best job in the world (for me). For 20 years I was a "shooter" I photo'd power boats of all sorts for catalogs and ads.My office was the water. Did a lot of fishing,wakeboarding, traveled to many a cool place, had many a great time. My employer was the big dog of the industry, and with that came some personal prestige, expense account,company suburban etc.In the beginning it was like a family, but like a family sometimes does, management changed. Suddenly faced with the prospect of relocating I declined. I was given a handshake and a fair package.The end came quick.

The reality was I was gone way too much. I often worked 7 days shooting from sunrise to sunset for the sweetlight.I missed way too many youth sports,school functions, and most of all, precious time with my wife.
I sometimes still miss those days. I just wanted to take cool pictures.

After deciding I didn't like the freelance life of travel and long hours I ended up at a special needs school. Autistic, downs, lots of wheelchairs as well as behavioral problem kids,kids that would rather fight than learn, we get 'em all. Some old friends are surprised at my lifechange. It has been a real eye opener for me.Some days are rewarding and other days I just want to get through.
While my income has declined by 75%, life is better that ever. Same wife, (31 years) 3 fine young men, and 2 wonderful grandkids closeby.
I get to commute these days too. A bit over 100 miles a week if I ride every day. Not the discretionary bike money like I used to have, but much more time to ride.

These days it's easy for me to say "Work to live, don't live to work"

Dr. Doofus
09-05-2005, 06:19 PM
last year :crap:

this year :cool:

maybe next year :banana:

lots of work to be done at my school -- doof may do the AP (already has) and IB next year, but really likes his current slate...doof is spearheading a Senior Research Project, which the head guy wants as a graduation requirement in a couple of years...and doof is getting more involved in trying to get in at the start of a Writing Project through the high schools in the distrcit

so doof is pretty ok -- not joyous like at the old school, but it can take a couple of years

mrs. doof may be out of a job in a year (german getting the axe) so doof may move on to a HS near you...but for now dfoo's ok

will do :banana: :banana: when the new bike is paid for and in the grubby lil mits sometime around December 30....

Chief
09-05-2005, 06:37 PM
I love my job because I am retired and I can do whatever I want to do whenever I want to. A really great feeling--no pressure. :) :)

slowgoing
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Yes. I work with some extremely smart and nice people and it's always stimulating.

I would hate it if my personal values didn't line up with work. Hasn't happened yet, though, although maybe that's more a matter of my values than work. :D

pale scotsman
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
I love my job. It's the same but different everyday and I get to deal with cutting edge technology without being hampered by bureaucracy like my last job. Doesn't hurt that I have a great boss as well. Truthfully the money could be better, but I've got so much leeway and ability to do what's right and fiscally responsible they'll have to kick me out.

darylb
09-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Great question oh climbomissimo-san! Today, I opened the shop for no other reason than I had nothing better to do. after a fairly busy morning a young women brings her POS wally-mart bike in with a flat. As I begin to remove the rear wheel (it's always the rear) parts begin to fall of this total POS, but it's her only form of transportation to work so who am I get snobby to her about it. i get the tube changed out and the damn wheel needs major truing before it will pass thru the brake pads, my hands are already filthy to my elbows and she's waiting, patiently. I'm ready to tell her her bike is trashed and I don't want to work on it. But I finnally get the wheel spinning and the brakes working. I give it back to her and she tries to give me a five dollar tip but I refuse because I feel bad about curseing her bike for so long under my breath by saying thanks but I'm the owner and other people need it more than me. I'm ready to go home now, enough fun for one day. then this guy who has been shopping for a bike for months comes in. He has test ridden the same two or three bikes over and over again. We have gone over and over his size again and again. And we did it again. Still no purchase. It's only a three hundred dollar bike he's buying but maybe to him three hundred dollars is still a lot to spend on a bike. Now I'm curseing at myself for opening the shop, I should have found something better to do. Then one of my customers who has turned into a riding buddy and is turning into a good friend comes through the door with a big, a really big plate of BBQ for me. Really, really good BBQ. Ribs, steak, chicken. Really good ribs, steak and chicken.

I love my job.

You absolutely gotta love a day in the life at FatCat Bicycles. About the only positive thing I have to say about my job right now is the part where I take my lunch hour to hang out (and occasionally buy something) with Bill at his shop. Unfortunately, I havent been over there in a week or two. Job keeps getting in the way.

I actually have a pretty decent job. I love working for the greater good. What I hate is when those elected to get credit for the work done for the greater good wreak havoc on those hired to actually get the work done. Otherwise, I would happily and anonymously serve the pubic (and go to the bike shop).

saab2000
09-05-2005, 08:54 PM
I hate my job, but I love what I do.

What I do is that I fly airplanes that most other people don't fly. Flying airplanes is ridiculously simple. But there are a lot of steps along the way which are not easy to climb. So a lot of people fall by the side.

I get to tell people that I have fulfilled one of my "Bubentraeume" (boyhood dreams) and fly airplanes and get paid for it.

The industry stinks. But the job is effin' great when the the sun is rising or setting and there is no turbulence or T 'storms and I get to fly a nice visual approach to Central Wisconsin Airport in Rothschild or in Madison or in Vienna or Paris or Denver or Moline or New Orleans or Jacksonville or Berlin Tempelhof or La Guardia or Boston or O'Hare or Green Bay or Appleton (my Hometown) or Rochester NY or JFK or Rome or Zueri or Barcelona......

or any other of the incredible places I have seen.

Do I like my work?????

I love my work. I just hate the industry. But everyone who flies loves their "work"!!!!!

:beer:

mdeeds71
09-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Saab 2000

Well said...I wish it had the old alure in the 50s-early 70s. I really love it but only worry about an early end due to outside reasons like medicals etc. I have not had anything bad to say about my company...actually same place my dad started at back in the 70s as Britt Airways...now CoEx aka XJT

67-59
09-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I have time to ride (typically 6 or 7 days per week, weather permitting), time to do things with my daughters (coaching their soccer teams, going on school field trips), and most weekends free. Life is good.

Oh, did you mean the working part? Actually, that isn't too bad either. Honestly, I regularly tell my wife I'm the luckiest man alive. She, predictably, thinks I'm nuts.

Russ
09-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I do love my job! And the pay and benefits are not bad... I get to work with Professors and students, who IMO, are much much easier customers to work that the regular "customer" that pays you $5 and thinks that he deserves an Ottrott... If you know what I mean.

The staff I work are also very motivated individuals, and I could not speak better about my boss(es). As long as the work is done, I do just about whatever I want as far as my schedule goes, so I really never have a bad day at work and get to ride or workout whenever I want!

The only thing I don't like so much about my job is its location! I think I would be a happier camper if I lived where riding would better. But isn't this the usual thing? Great job, bad place... Great riding, bad job...

Dekonick
09-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Love my job; hate 24 hour shifts.

Whats not to like about helping others? It's what being a firefighter and paramedic is all about.

Sure wish I had Saab's job... :beer:

jeffg
09-06-2005, 03:04 AM
'nuff said

Tom
09-06-2005, 06:33 AM
I work in a clean, well-lighted place with heat in the winter and I am not in danger of losing body parts (my first job was in my dad's millworking business... work around saws long enough and the saw will get you. It's only a matter of time.) and I get paid enough to afford three Serottas in the house. So I gotta work nights now and then and put up with dummies more than now and then. It could be worse. I could be a nurse or some job where a bad decision can't be backed out and all I have to do is say to my boss "Yes, I'm a stupid *******. It won't happen again (until next time)."

I can't complain though anybody that hangs around me for any length of time will hear me do so.

shoe
09-06-2005, 09:18 AM
after 15 years i can say i still like my job. everyday is different and a new challenge. as a tattooer people come to me for alot of different reasons and to do the best job i can on there design and to be finished and make them happy is a good feeling.(so what if it is a run on sentence)to do a large design on someones body in a style that i like to tattoo in and have it compliment there body is a great feeling. it has allowed me alot of freedom. there are days where i feel like i don't want to be there and times it feels like work...but the rewards are greater. the biggest thing for me is that i have been working for days a week for 7 years and now i have been at 5 days for the past year- i really miss that extra day off. i think as a society we really work too much-but i do enjoy riding my bicycles.....dave

sellsworth
09-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I have my dream job. I teach environmental science and ecology courses at a small liberal arts college at Lake Tahoe. I just got plain lucky to get the job. My salary may never match yours but I do have my summers off, four weeks at Christmas, and a spring break - that's worth a couple of bucks.

JasonF
09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm the general partner of a hedge fund and a "recovering" (i.e., former) corporate M&A tax attorney.

Like the job a lot, but there is constant sink-or-swim pressure each day. I have a very strong fiduciary role which means that the financial livelihood of my limited partners is entrusted to me. Aside from my family, nothing is more important than making sure that the fund provides consistent, low-risk tax efficient growth.

Bikes and fast cars are just a way to blow off steam.

Ride safe,
Jason

David Kirk
09-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm truly fortunate that I love what I do and I can't imagine doing anything else at this point. I get to use both my mind and my hands and do a lot of problem solving. It's a fresh challenge everyday and each customer is different.

I'm very thankful.

Dave

theprep
09-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I love my job. I am an engineering consultant who does a lot of work with municipalities on the east end of Long Island.

I currently have some great clients (elected officials) who got into politics for all the right reasons. We have completed projects were we take an idea for a new park concept and within a few months time (sometimes and year or 2), we see it built and being used by the public. That is the best part, seeing your design finished and being enjoyed.

Civil engineers don't get to build "prototypes". If I worked for Maytag for instance, we could build a new washing machine and test it out for a while, work out the kinks before releasing it to the consumer. All of our civil engineering projects get built by the "LOW Bidder". If he/she can't find problems with your design and bang you for Extras than you know you did a good job. There is immense satisitaction in that.

There is sometimes criticism from the other political party or civic associations, which can hurt. Most of the time, the criticism is from people who's list of accomplishments amounts to zero. They are too busy finding problems instead of solving them.

pbbob
09-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I am in the nursing home/sub-acute care business. Let's put it this way. I am tired of this :crap: It's what I end up doing all day. I plan to cut back this month to 4 days a week and on Fridays I will ride my bike in the morning and in the afternoon I would like to find something totally different to do other than be a nurse practitioner.

OldDog
09-06-2005, 02:30 PM
What I do is that I fly airplanes that most other people don't fly. Flying airplanes is ridiculously simple. But there are a lot of steps along the way which are not easy to climb. So a lot of people fall by the side.

I love my work. I just hate the industry. But everyone who flies loves their "work"!!!!!

I co-own a manufacturing company, making control parts for the planes Saab fly's. Shop rat turned pencil pusher. Saab is right, the industry stinks. The airline industry is tough. Being a supplier to both the prime airframe manufacturers, their subs and the carriers that fly them can be trying at times. On the flip side, working with the general aviation crowd, the guys building kit planes and light aircraft, is mostly a joy.

Yeah, I like my work. I just dislike the industry for the most part. But this industry treats me well. I'll stick around awhile. I have to. I've yet to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!

I forget the name of the aircraft, or the guy flying/pedaling it. The guy who flew the wing, powered by human pedal power, over the english channel a number of years back. Anyone?

Tom
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Gossamer Albatross.

I can't remember the name of the plane, though.

BigDaddySmooth
09-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I hate my job, but I love what I do.

I get to tell people that I have fulfilled one of my "Bubentraeume" (boyhood dreams) and fly airplanes and get paid for it.

The industry stinks. But the job is effin' great when the the sun is rising or setting and there is no turbulence or T 'storms and I get to fly a nice visual approach to Central Wisconsin Airport in Rothschild or in Madison or in Vienna or Paris or Denver or Moline or New Orleans or Jacksonville or Berlin Tempelhof or La Guardia or Boston or O'Hare or Green Bay or Appleton (my Hometown) or Rochester NY or JFK or Rome or Zueri or Barcelona......

or any other of the incredible places I have seen.

Do I like my work?????

Saab,
You flyboys have the best job! I've been in the military x 19 years and I've seen the gamut of egos of military trained pilots and aviaTORs. One of my old bosses piloted an aircraft shot-down over Bosnia. I met a F-14 jock who gave up flying to be a psychiatrist. What! He was worried about not being promotable. Yeah, right. :confused:

But I digress. Do I like my job...not really. I went from being a Navy warrior (qualified surface warfare officer) to an AF medic (nurse). The responsibility I had in the USN far, far out-weighed any AF job I have had. I don't miss the sea duty, but the the opportunity of going toe-to-toe w/the Red menace (at the time, now it would be dodging RPGs while moored to the peer) was quite invigorating. Now, I deal w/a demanding retiree population who always seem to run out of medication at 4 PM on a Friday before a 3-day weekend. There is little challenge in my job. Nothing like the time my Navy CO tried to prove what a man he was by changing course to put us head-on w/a Russian merchant 10X our size. I was the conning officer at the time..."but, Cap'n, we are in direct violation of the rules of the road..." "Shut up and drive ensign!" :crap:

Now, if I can only figure out what I'll do after I retire from the military. :confused:

If it matters...my wife loves her job! :cool:

davep
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I own and run a sailing school, and I enjoy helping people achieve, what to many of them, is a dream of a lifetime. On the other hand, I have graduated from actually sailing the boats to sailing a desk and a computer. So I am now doing exactly what I got into sailing so I wouldn't have to do. On the third hand, the business has grown to provide me with a comfortable living without a whole lot of work. I only work 7 - 8 hours a day, and half a day on most Saturdays, which is a lot better than the 12 - 15 hour days, 7 day weeks I worked a few years ago. But in some ways I miss the challenge of the first couple years.