PDA

View Full Version : Campy QS Ergo front mech compatibility

GRAVELBIKE
04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Just installed some NOS 2007 Centaur 10s QS Escape Ergopower levers on my commuter. Front mech is a regular (non-QS) Centaur 10s unit. Shifting to the big ring takes a fair amount of effort. Would a QS front mech have a lighter touch?

TMB
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Just installed some NOS 2007 Centaur 10s QS Escape Ergopower levers on my commuter. Front mech is a regular (non-QS) Centaur 10s unit. Shifting to the big ring takes a fair amount of effort. Would a QS front mech have a lighter touch?

Nope. I have those shifters pulling a '80's C record FD. It is actually pretty easy. I would check the pivot points and lube them and your cables ( worth a try).

GRAVELBIKE
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Nope. I have those shifters pulling a '80's C record FD. It is actually pretty easy. I would check the pivot points and lube them and your cables ( worth a try).

Hmm... Cables/housing are new and lightly lubed. BB cable guide is not new, but has been cleaned. Derailleur is about 18 months old, and cleaned/lubed.

TMB
04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Hmm... Cables/housing are new and lightly lubed. BB cable guide is not new, but has been cleaned. Derailleur is about 18 months old, and cleaned/lubed.

Then I got hothin' - sorry.

GRAVELBIKE
04-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Then I got hothin' - sorry.

Thanks, I appreciate it nonetheless.

oliver1850
04-28-2012, 09:57 PM

GRAVELBIKE
04-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the QS should be a bit lighter, but never tested it back to back. The QS in the pic is the black outer link. Notice the distance between the pivot and the cable clamp is longer on the QS, which should give more leverage, which should reduce the effort required to move the cage. I'm assuming the spring tension is the same, which may be a big assumption. If you want to try one, I can send you one, but it will be below Chorus. Note in the pic, they are both Centaur 10 with the standard chrome cage. The only difference is the black one is QS (and black).

Thanks for the offer, but it's really not necessary.

The photo definitely helps show the difference in the arm lengths.

Here's some info from Campy that spells out the compatibility:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Front_derailleur_QS_UK-04-09.pdf

QS levers with non-QS derailleur - more force to shift
Non-QS levers with QS derailleur - more clicks to shift

Ralph
04-29-2012, 06:55 AM
I would probably run FD cable as tight as I can. Take any slack out. Make sure FD angle catches chain in best position. On a bike with big ring with latestest ramp tech, would expect the chain to leap to big ring very quickly and easily with that combination. Make sure when chain is on big ring and small cog, outer cage is parallel with chain. It should shift great.

weiwentg
04-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Just to confirm, do you mean that it takes a lot of energy to push the lever, or do you mean that you have to push the lever very far? Which other Campy levers have you used?

GRAVELBIKE
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Just to confirm, do you mean that it takes a lot of energy to push the lever, or do you mean that you have to push the lever very far? Which other Campy levers have you used?

Energy.

I've used Ultra-Shift Centaur levers (round hoods) and the current Centaur levers (Pro-Shift).

TMB
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Energy.

I've used Ultra-Shift Centaur levers (round hoods) and the current Centaur levers (Pro-Shift).

If the push is hard , too much force required, that sounds like cable too tight?

GRAVELBIKE
04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Robbed the QS mech off my other bike and installed it on the one with the QS shifters. Works much better. Worked out great as the non-QS mech works even better with the 2012 Centaur shifters.

John M
04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I had the same experience. QS shifters worked fine with a non-QS FD, but QS FD worked better with a lighter touch required to make the shift.