PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Specialized SL4...a plush ride?

sonoray
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Greetings! Newly activated and glad to be here :)

Yesterday I was out in the OC and was killing time before a meeting. I found a Rock 'n Road Specialized concept store yesterday to get my bike drool on. I spent a nice chunk of time speaking to the sales person regarding the new SL4 Pro frame (non S-works). He commented on the overall feel of the bike and echoed everything I've read recently. What shocked me was his comment of how comfortable the bike is. Of course it isn't as plush and vibration eating as the Roubiax, but when compared to earlier versions of the Roubaix from previous years, he states the SL4 is comparable. I currently ride an '09 Roubaix Pro, and with out hesitation, he said the level of comfort and vibration dampening of the SL4 would be similar to or even better than my Roubaix. Taking the Zertz inserts, geometry differences between the two and components out of the equation, is he making a true statement? Has the FACT IS layup changed so much in the past four years that the all to aggressive Tarmac has been re-engineered to be a chip and seal eater?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dave thompson
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I have an '09 Roubaix Pro too. I also have custom steel bikes and an aluminum on the way. I've found that tire selection, brand and size, make the largest of differences.

The Roubaix is not a 'non-aggressive' bike, it handles extremely well, great on the downhills and offers the bonus of great all-day riding. The Roubaix will fit up 28mm tires if you're wanting more road eating capability.

I suspect that salesman was practicing what he's paid to do; salesmanship. And apparently pretty well, he put the bug in your ear.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
There are very few people that work for Rock n' Road that know what they are talking about, no matter what store you go to, but they are particularly rare in the Irvine store. It seems you didn't talk with one of the few knowledgeable folks, because I can't believe they would have told you that the Tarmac Pro SL4 is as comfortable as prior iterations of the Roubaix. I say that, even though they are our team's sponsor.

The Tarmac Pro SL4 is essentially last year's S-Works SL3; I almost bought one during our team buy night. But for someone to say it is as comfortable as prior year Roubaix's strikes me as either uninformed or disingenuous.

eippo1
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I rode a 2011 Tarmac SL3 Pro for a year, and while it was comfortable, I would never use the word plush to describe it. There is still quite a bit of road feel on the bike just by virtue of how stiff it is.

It will never approach the ride of a Roubaix because it is never supposed to do so. IMO, the Roubaix feels "dead" to me because I like the feel of some road buzz.
So yes, it's comfortable, but no, he's just blowing smoke to get you to ride it. Go ahead and ride it, though - they are very very nice bikes.

sonoray
04-27-2012, 01:10 PM
The sales rep definitely put a bug in my ear, but after spending the next hour or so sitting on the 91 freeway traffic, I came to my senses.

54ny77
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I recently bought a used sl2 and love it. The sl4 is probably just as fun, but honestly, no friggin way id pay the price of new. Find one used at 1/3 or 1/4 the price and its even more enjoyable.

As far as plush, well thats entirely subjective and i wont even touch that one. Like others said, tires will be the biggest factor.

John H.
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I have owned every version of the Tarmac. 1st gen Tarmac, Tarmac SL, SL2, SL3, and SL4.
The SL4 is actually more plush than the SL3- especially in the front end of the bike. SL3 was almost too stiff and harsh up front.

54ny77
04-27-2012, 06:53 PM
What i dont understand about the specialized bikes or any production carbon bikes for that matter is why r the main tubes so friggin' HUGE?

reggiebaseball
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
What i dont understand about the specialized bikes or any production carbon bikes for that matter is why r the main tubes so friggin' HUGE?

They are making a frame out of plastic that must be rigid torsionally, what do you expect them to use spider silk?