PDA

View Full Version : What Degreaser do we all like?

bikerboy337
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
We have lots of threads about grease... couldn't find any about degreasers. I'd love to find a cheaper alternative to my degreasers... I've used a few different onces over the years (pedros, finishline, park), typicllay they run about $10 a bottle and last a month or two...

anyone have any good alternatives to the "bike specific" degreasers?

oldguy00
04-27-2012, 08:11 AM
We have lots of threads about grease... couldn't find any about degreasers. I'd love to find a cheaper alternative to my degreasers... I've used a few different onces over the years (pedros, finishline, park), typicllay they run about $10 a bottle and last a month or two...

Simple Green, or anything similar that you can buy in bulk size from places like Sams or Costco. Bike specific degreasers are just normal off the shelf degreasers with nice smells and colors added. :)

oldpotatoe
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM

what oldguy said...I use simple green in the shop, a gallon is about $12..cut half and half with water...spray bottle..

Most bike specific 'stuff' is expensive when compared to a non bike specific thing...like grease.

William
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Another Simple Green fan here. Buy it by the gallon at Home Despot.

William

nighthawk
04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
+1 on simple green. I keep a couple spray bottles diluted to different concentrations for different levels of gunk.

AngryScientist
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
i buy whatever citrus based degreaser lowes or home depot has on sale by the gallon. they all pretty much seem to work the same in my experience.

christian
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I use an citrus-based one I get at Home Depot.

bikerboy337
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I figures as much, but I thought years ago i had heard of issues with simple green, etc.... with plastic, something like that... but I figured I was wrong... off to home depot this weekend to grab a gallon of stuff...

christian
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
All citrus degreasers can discolor and damage aluminum (un-anodized, mostly, I think.) Wash off all citrus degreasers from aluminum parts with water. This assumes you're using them as concentrated sprays.

Bob Ross
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I thought years ago i had heard of issues with simple green, etc.... with plastic, something like that...

Only thing I recall hearing was that some metals -- aluminum perhaps? -- would react with Simple Green if you left them soaking in it for several days.

Hence the introduction of Simple Green "Aircraft Edition", for those folks that actually do want to soak their parts for several days.
http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

But yeah, I just use the regular Simple Green.

William
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
No issues with Simple Green on any of my bikes or parts, aluminum, steel, or plastic.

William

velobran
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Constant use of Simple Green (in full form) for cleaning chains will lead to chain breakage. A few PT mechanics have said such and two friends have experienced first hand.

I'm not referring to soaking either - but liberal saturation will lead to premature death of your chain. Not sure about other parts.

That extreme stuff looks interesting though.

William
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Constant use of Simple Green (in full form) for cleaning chains will lead to chain breakage. A few PT mechanics have said such and two friends have experienced first hand.

I'm not referring to soaking either - but liberal saturation will lead to premature death of your chain. Not sure about other parts.

That extreme stuff looks interesting though.

Interesting. Not saying it isn't true, but I've never had a chain break since I've been using it since around the mid 90's (and I can lay down more force than most).

William

Tony T
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Pedro's Oranj Peelz

cachagua
04-27-2012, 10:34 AM
An old T-shirt.

jchasse
04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
It depends on exactly what I'm doing, but I've been using Oil-Flo Safety Solvent for car and bike stuff for years.

biker72
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
ZEP Big Orange on cassettes and chain.
Simple Green everywhere else.

rePhil
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Odorless mineral spirits. Sometimes followed up by Brakeclean.

norcalbiker
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Can't go wrong with "Simple Green". They work and it's cheap.

BdaGhisallo
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Odorless mineral spirits. Sometimes followed up by Brakeclean.

Hear, hear! This is what works. I have only ever needed Brakeclean once for bike related cleaning, but OMS is my go to solvent.

palincss
04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I like odorless mineral spirits.

rnhood
04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Chalk up another one for mineral spirits also. The others like SG work Ok but when I need to degrease, MS does the job effectively and efficiently.

Ti Designs
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Beer.

Nothing chases a greasy burger like a beer...

I'll take a burger and a beer over cleaning my bike any day.

SoCalSteve
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Beer.

Nothing chases a greasy burger like a beer...

I'll take a burger and a beer over cleaning my bike any day.

Post of the day!!!

fuzzalow
04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Kerosene.

Is there nobody who uses this stuff anymore except me? It's not like I have it sitting in open pans or in soaked rags in my garage. Been using it for years. Ain't none been done blown'd up yet.

ClutchCargo
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I use an citrus-based one I get at Home Depot.

+1
Zep citrus degreaser at Homey's is cheap by the gallon.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Kerosene.

Is there nobody who uses this stuff anymore except me? It's not like I have it sitting in open pans or in soaked rags in my garage. Been using it for years. Ain't none been done blown'd up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktTXjSqvJc

Stencil brush, pan of diesel.

victoryfactory
04-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Finish Line Citrus Bike Degreaser Spray*

Expensive...check
Hard to find....check
Toxic....check

Best stuff I've used. When I run out, I jones like a junkie
until I get more.

VF

*Not the instant dry stuff, the regular old school stuff.

Wilkinson4
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktTXjSqvJc

Stencil brush, pan of diesel.

+1, the old school way. I remember a thread on SG many years ago. Peter maybe be you can confirm? But, I heard that SG is banned by the military.

Can't use it to clean alum airplane parts for risk of failure. I use Miracle Red

mIKE

Ti Designs
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Kerosene.

I use kerosene to clean files, but for washing down a burger I gotta stick with beer.

toosahn
04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
mineral spirits.

soap and water.

citris degreaser (very rarely use this one)

bart998
04-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I always use GUm-Out Carb cleaner on greasy bearings and such... dissolves the mess and then evaporates away so you don't have a drop of left over solvent hiding in a bearing race to dilute the fresh grease. Never any problems and I can usually find it on sale for $3. WD-40 for cleaning grease, dried drinks and sweat off painted (or plastic) surfaces... then wax.

toosahn
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Carb cleaner is nasty stuff!

bluesea
04-28-2012, 03:59 PM
An old T-shirt.

That's what I use. Grease wipes off easily from the cassette, and the chain gets wiped clean before every re-lube (Prolink chain lube stays on the chain without fail). The only grease that might build up (lightly) is on the chainrings, and for that a light application every 3 mo of whatever's handy (Simple Green, Joy, Pine Sol) does the trick.

palincss
04-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Kerosene.

I'm sure it works fine, but my lord, the stink! How can you stand it?

learningtoride
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
=

HenryA
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Oil-eater is incredible.
Just add water.
Auto parts stores carry it.
Wash it off well.

oldguy00
04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Kerosene.

But how do you dispose of it?

Unpredictable
04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
My favorite is Simple Green Aircraft. Will not corrode any metals. I have seen Original Simple Green cause spider looking cracks on chains left soaking too long.
However for simple wash and rinse applications the Original formula is just fine.
When we clean really trashed chains, I just perfer Mineral Spirits.

http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_products_extreme.php

fuzzalow
04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm sure it works fine, but my lord, the stink! How can you stand it?
This is white kerosene from the paint aisle in the same borg where many of you get your simple green or citrus cleaner. So it does smell like petro distillates but not like a chemical refinery. When I'm done, I hang the chain and the chainrings with a coathanger wire and leave it outside. IMO the odor from Prolink is much stronger and stinky(er).

I don't, i pour it back into a spaghetti sauce jar and the dirty stuff settles to the bottom of the jar after a while. Pour slowly into the cleaning pan next time I use it. Kind of like decanting wine. I reuse the same 6 ozs. for some time.

palincss
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM

I can' say for kerosene, as I don't use it, but I don't dispose of mineral spirits. I let it settle in a container, pour off the clear for use, and every so often strain the sediment-laden dregs through a coffee filter to get rid of the sediment. A little get lost every time you clean a chain, but it's only a very little.

Elefantino
04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Ah, kerosene. What we used to use in the old days before Simple Green.

And yes, some lubes smell worse than kerosene. ProLink ... pew. Dumonde Tech Lite ... even worse.

CaptStash
04-28-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a plastic paint bucket with about a half gallon of WD40 in it. Dump the tuff in, come back the next day, and wash clean with soap and water. We used it as a parts cleaner solvent on the ships for years.

CaptStash....

Hartlin
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Another vote for Simple Green, usually quite diluted. I'm a Pedro's Ice Wax guy and I can usually get away with a good dish soap and water as it doesn't gunk up much and washes easily.

Interestingly enough I always used Kerosene for motorcycle chain cleaning applications, but haven't used it for bicycle related.

Prolink does stink, and it doesn't clean well at all.

classtimesailer
04-29-2012, 08:37 AM
kerosene as used above. I understand that it leaves a "clean" slipperiness in the parts which is nice.

oldguy00
04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Another vote for Simple Green, usually quite diluted. I'm a Pedro's Ice Wax guy and I can usually get away with a good dish soap and water as it doesn't gunk up much and washes easily.

Interestingly enough I always used Kerosene for motorcycle chain cleaning applications, but haven't used it for bicycle related.

How long does the ice wax work for you? I tried it, and found that after only a couple of rides my chain would start squeaking..

William
04-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Simple Green to clean, ATB to lube.

William

apeescape
04-29-2012, 11:51 PM
I've been using this Yelo Velo degreaser stuff that seems to work pretty well.

Hartlin
04-30-2012, 05:58 AM
How long does the ice wax work for you? I tried it, and found that after only a couple of rides my chain would start squeaking..

Depends on the weather, but I usually get about 3 rides out of it before reapplying.

I usually give the chain a quick cleaning with a rag and simple green, and put new lube on every few days between proper washes.

bluesea
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Roger that on Prolink--it gunks and chunks between the plates. In use does Ice Wax hold fast onto the chain?