PDA

View Full Version : good value custom TIG'd builders

ashwinearl
09-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Toying with idea of a TIG welded road frame, will require custom geometry.

On list now:

Serotta CIII
Strong
TiCycles
Rock Lobster
Kish
Curtlo
Gunnar (w/custom option)

Any other builders you'd suggest to look into
thanks

Sacha White
09-05-2005, 10:45 AM
www.desalvocycles.com

Mike D is a great guy.

eddief
09-05-2005, 10:57 AM
with filets from the likes of Steve Rex. In many cases Rex's filet-built frames are in the same pricing ballpark as the tigs of others. You get wet paint, not powder included in the deal. For my money, I like the look of smooth joints much better than those that have been joined with tigs.

http://www.rexcycles.com/home.html

Adent
09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Independent Fabrication. Nice bikes from nice folks.
www.ifbikes.com

Dr. Doofus
09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
lt looks from your list like doof's penny-pinching rants have done some good.

the doof almost-definitive list of good TIG bikes for reasonable money and other bikes for reasonable money when you consider what you're getting:

under 1500:

waterford R-14 (for gunnar custom, you pay waterford money...so get a better paint job)
curtlo
rock lobster
kish
de salvo
co-motion
strong
CySip
IF
Della Santa (lugged!!)
Dave Levy (Ti Cycles)
Landshark (zero uno frame)

Over 1500

Serotta
Yamaguchi (the US Team road is about as nice a TIG frame as you'll get)
Rex
Kirk (go ahead and get lugs...you know you want them)
Steelman
Pegoretti (just mentioned for the jerk...and the jerk is probably calling doof a moron for going widdalobsta over a Palosanto...doof loves the eight legs...what can he say...and who sez the peg is really all that...other than climb and the jerk and....well...ok...doof is still goinwiddalobsta)
Hampsten
Hot Tubes

Really Over 1500 (doof is the only cheapskate on this board...so you know you want one of these)

Sachs
Vanilla
Goodrich
Moon
Walker
Spectrum

whoozadooffoergettin? hmmmm...take a look at the gallery section on Pacenti's site www.bikelugs.com for other builders

getting a good bike is just a matter of doing your homework

given that a good bike is more a matter of knowledgable design and skilled craftsmanship than it is light weight, why would you buy a beer can or asian plastic when there are two-dozen-plus cool cats who know what they're doing here in the US?

Tailwinds
09-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Are you at all interested in fillet brazing? I saw Jack Brunk's fillet brazed Kirk Terraplane at the Giro di Bozeman... now that's a smooth, gorgeous bike and would be a good choice if you're not into lugs and it fits your budget. I am one of Dave's happy customers.

For tig, I'd check out Carl Strong for sure. He has an excellent reputation, makes some slick-looking bikes, and is a super-nice guy. I've met some of his happy customers who have nothing but praise for Strong bikes.

eddief
09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I had never seen one in person til today. On my ride this guy had a big yellow Burley Wolf Creek. Nothing fancy, but nearly indetectable welds and just a fine, simple good looking frameset.

http://www.burley.com/products/road-bikes/default.aspx?p=Wolf+Creek&i=5

soulspinner
09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Carl usually has a 20 percent off sale in the fall. My Strong foco compact rides beautifully, looks great and Carl is nice to deal with and stands behind what he makes. Spectrum Powdercoat is doing his frames now and they do a great job(see their website). A custom steel from him can be had during the sale for under a thou.

ashwinearl
09-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Actually I have a custom lugged Richard Moon right now. Got it about 6 or 7 years ago.

http://static.flickr.com/1/1018929_ee209a8cad.jpg

But I got a Serotta fit this year, and to get the suggested position I've got this 120mm stem w/15 degree rise and the quill up, and it just looks wierd now.

It rides well, but the bike geek in me is starting to think about another. And I'm looking for more of a 'sport' geometry now with a sloping top tube that puts the bars a higher position. (like the Trek Pilot or Specialized Roubaix)

So I do love lugs, and even own a copy of the Paterak manual. But for the moment have a desire for a very simple utilitarian TIG'd frame.

Tailwinds
09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Jack Brunk, you should post a picture of that bad-a**, fillet brazed, sloping top tube, Kirk bike of yours. I'm not sure why they haven't put a picture of your entire frameset into the Kirk bikes gallery. It deserves a spot there, for sure.

David Kirk
09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Strong.

Carl Strong that is.

Dave

Dr. Doofus
09-05-2005, 08:19 PM
lookin at yer position, yerdoof has a recommendation:

rivendell with a nitto technomic stem

hear doof out on this one

you're not riding in a racing position -- so why be married to the idea of a "racing" bike? you're a classy guy -- the moon shows that. so get a rivendell, or get after doug brooks for a tournesol, or a french-fit kirk terraplane, or get in contact the crew that did the mercian-made randonneurs with the help of Kirk P (cycles gansaari -- thanks to d. brooks for the name in the airborne thread...couldn't think of 'em...but when doof can't reach 9cm of drop anymore and quits getting pasted in USCF races, he will be pimpin a randonneur). don't get some weird TIG'd thing with a HT as big as your seat tube that tries to fit you in a touring position while still "looking" racy. get a well-crafted bike that is designed for the kind of riding you're doing (recreational in an upright position), and pimp it with a brooks swallow and nitto bars.

but what does doof know? he just jumblegurgitates what smarter people say....

Louis
09-05-2005, 08:41 PM
This is getting repetitive, but I too have to chime in. Carl Strong is at the very top of my list for custom TIG frames. Having met him at the Gd’B, spoken to him, and seen a few of his frames I can say that he’s right up there. Call him and you’ll see. A great guy who makes great bikes.

Also, if you don't believe me, the folks on the RoadbikeReview site rave about the frames.

Louis

ashwinearl
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
? you're a classy guy -- the moon shows that....

Actually, I'm just a mountain biker impersonating as a road rider on a beautiful classic/modern lugged frame that never gets washed and ridden hard. I feel like that dorky guy that gets the good looking wife (well I got that too).

I need something that goes well with a Camel-bak, full finger gloves, stained or black socks, and a helmet visor. But what am I going to do with my Euro White DMT shoes!!

bike that is designed for the kind of riding you're doing (recreational in an upright position)....

I resemble that remark. I prefer to recreate in a reclined position.

Strong is at the top of the list.

Who knows if it will happen but possibly keep your eyes open on ebay next spring for this Moon. Baylis Painted (wine fire blue), stamped nervex lugged, handpicked Reynolds tubing, with custom painted matching Silca pump. Someone who will treat it like the work of art that it is deserves it more than me.