PDA

View Full Version : OT: Poisoning trees for billboards

William
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
"It's amazing how cheaply lawmakers can be bought".

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's amazing that billboard companies feel they have the right to cut down anything that might obscure the line of sight to the signs, even if it's on private property. I hadn't thought about this before but I can understand their $$$ fueled motivation, but not how they are going about it. And frankly, billboards are eyesores in my book any way.

A crime by the highway: Poisoning trees to make billboards easier to see

By Myron Levin, Lilly Fowler and Stuart Silverstein
FairWarning.org

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/26/11402635-a-crime-by-the-highway-poisoning-trees-to-make-billboards-easier-to-see

"Robert J. Barnhart was a crew chief for a billboard company, and a soldier in a war on trees.

Trees were the enemy if they spoiled the view of a billboard. On days of an attack, Barnhart, 27, would arrive by dawn at Lamar Advertising Co. in Tallahassee, Fla. After removing the magnetic Lamar logo from a company truck, he would set forth with a machete, a hospital mask and a container of what he described as a "pretty gnarly" herbicide.

It was all about being fast: Hack into the roots or base of the tree, douse the wound with herbicide, and get out of there. The Lamar executive who gave the orders, said Barnhart, called it "a hit and run."...

William

AngryScientist
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
that is quite literally, an outrage.

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
that is quite literally, an outrage.

To many billboards and pretty soon all states will look like NJ. :)

This is wrong though...Don't kill trees bro!

AngryScientist
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I admit it, I'm an engineer. I like math. I like physics, I like mechanical systems and machines.

I never understood marketing. Maybe it's all subconscious, and it's happening to me without me knowing it, but I'm fairly certain I never saw a billboard with a toyota minivan on it and ran out and bought a toyota minivan. I'm pretty sure than when i see a coors light billboard, it actually makes me want coors light less.

if we consider Billboards only, does anyone here feel strongly that they were swayed to purchase a product based on what they saw in lights by the highway??

gone
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
if we consider Billboards only, does anyone here feel strongly that they were swayed to purchase a product based on what they saw in lights by the highway??
Nope. They're nothing but eyesores.

The bright neon ones that make any city look like Vegas are really cool though.

City/county/state governments are whores for tax revenue and aesthetics be damned.

Nooch
04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I admit it, I'm an engineer. I like math. I like physics, I like mechanical systems and machines.

I never understood marketing. Maybe it's all subconscious, and it's happening to me without me knowing it, but I'm fairly certain I never saw a billboard with a toyota minivan on it and ran out and bought a toyota minivan. I'm pretty sure than when i see a coors light billboard, it actually makes me want coors light less.

Only food, Nick. Back in my larger days all I needed was that red/yellow billboard with the "4 miles ahead, right off exit whatever" to get my stomach growling.

But this is an immediate satisfaction -- a larger purchase, no, can't say that it ever did anything for me.

Karin Kirk
04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Highway billboards are useful when roadtripping in unfamiliar territory. It is helpful to know if there is a Hampton Inn coming up, since they have cookies and Dave always needs cookies. :)

That aside, poisoning trees is criminal and sad.

Seramount
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
in college, influenced by Ed Abbey's book The Monkey Wrench Gang, my future BIL and I torched an exceptionally obnoxious billboard that read:

Only 1105 more miles to Harrah's in Reno!

seriously, you think anyone's going to recall reading this when they're a thousand miles from the establishment being advertised...? effin stupid.

the all-wood construction made for quite a blaze.

good times.

oh, and the tree poisoner should be hung from one...

Louis
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Trees don't pay taxes nor do they make campaign contributions. Billboard companies do.

Guess who's going to win this battle?

cycle_chic
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
the all-wood construction made for quite a blaze.

i <3 this. little bit o' disorder is a good thing.

as for the tree killer, i think he should eat his own herbicide. you know, just for kicks.

keevon
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
His claims are supported by sworn testimony from Barnhart’s former supervisor, Chris Oaks, who admitted that he, too, had illegally poisoned trees before Barnhart took over in 2009 as poisoner-in-chief.
Oh, the irony...

MattTuck
04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
bunch of savages...

http://www.100monkeystyping.com/wlog/clerks1.jpg

torquer
04-26-2012, 03:22 PM

1. South of the Border, I-95 (how could we not stop in, after seeing those bumper stickers for 40 years?)
2. Fireworks and massages (not actually purchased anything, yet, but good to know where to get some)
3. Wendy's exit #_ in _ miles: when your only options are fast food, their taco salad rules!

bart998
04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Trees don't pay taxes nor do they make campaign contributions. Billboard companies do.

Guess who's going to win this battle?

Trees protected by Rottweiler and owner with a 30.06