PDA

View Full Version : Decent and inexpensive BMX for a kid?

akelman
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Is there such a thing? I have a tall 9-year-old who has a decent road bike that he rides all the time. Now he needs a bike that he can beat up without worrying about it. I'm thinking a pretty cheap BMX bike is the way to go. What should I get him? Thanks.

Nooch
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
WeThePeople Arcade is like $400, IIRC, pretty decent bike...

Otherwise you could build something from danscomp?

christian
04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Redline.

jh_on_the_cape
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
try danscomp.com
better yet go to the local bmx track. at least around here, there are tons of hopped up used rides for sale.

My son is 7 but i am eyeing the carver mini... those are nice.

you have to decide between a 20 and 24 inch wheel. i would go with the 24. look for a 24 on the local craiglist.

akelman
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Redline.

This is looking like a good option. There's one on Craigslist for $125. I'm sure it's not up to the abuse of being raced, but that's not how this bike is going to be used. The boy just needs a bike for getting around town that he doesn't have to worry about.

fourflys
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Ari,
Look at the stuff at Performance... they have some pretty cool SE bikes for not a lot... if the kid is pretty tall, I would look at the 24" SoCal Flyer... I bought the 26" OM Flyer to bomb around the neighborhood with the kids... and Performance is always having sales, so...

http://www.sebikes.com/midlevelbmxseries.php

akelman
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
WeThePeople Arcade is like $400, IIRC, pretty decent bike...

That's very cool, but it's more money than I'd like to spend. I probably should have been clearer in the OP. He's not going to ride BMX, I don't think. He's just going to ride the bike around town (he's got a niceish bike that he uses for long and/or fast rides). Given that, he just needs something he doesn't have to worry about, something that can get rained on a bit, something that can get locked up downtown. A really nice bike, even at the entry-level, would be overkill. On the other hand, if I can find a used one, as someone else suggested, that would be awesome.

akelman
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Ari,
Look at the stuff at Performance... they have some pretty cool SE bikes for not a lot... if the kid is pretty tall, I would look at the 24" SoCal Flyer... I bought the 26" OM Flyer to bomb around the neighborhood with the kids... and Performance is always having sales, so...

http://www.sebikes.com/midlevelbmxseries.php

Awesome. Thanks.

benitosan1972
04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Diamond Back
Redline
Dyno/GT
Schwinn
SE

These brands all have models $150-300,
you can find them online & most LBS's that
carry mass-produced lines. Basic bmx should be $200
Also DK, Intense, Eastern, 2hip, etc but those cost more.

Keith A
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Check your local Craigslist...they are a regular item in my area.

pdmtong
04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Is there such a thing? I have a tall 9-year-old who has a decent road bike that he rides all the time. Now he needs a bike that he can beat up without worrying about it. I'm thinking a pretty cheap BMX bike is the way to go. What should I get him? Thanks.

I think a tall 9yo riding a BMX that he cant really pedal seated around town is not a good recipe. Look for a bottom end 13" or 15" trek/specialized 26" mtb on local CL. I know you just want a thrasher but these will be cheap and come up for sale often. and, he will be able to ride it as he grows even taller.

akelman
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I think a tall 9yo riding a BMX that he cant really pedal seated around town is not a good recipe.

Hmm, this is my biggest concern. But the thing is, I want something incredibly simple, a bike that can take a beating or wait in the rack during a rain storm. I'm now thinking either about one of these (http://www.precisionbikeshop.com/store/se-bicycles/2012-24-socal-flyer-2/) or maybe one of these (http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/freestyle-mtb/steel_reserve1_1_2012). The latter is a bit more expensive, though a local shop has one cheap, but I'm worried it might be too big. The former is a nice bike, but I'm worried about exactly the issue raised above: that he won't be able to ride seated. Thoughts?

fourflys
04-26-2012, 05:56 PM
as I said, I have the 26" OM Flyer and am able to have my seat at a normal height... Not sure why the SoCal Flyer would be any different...

BTW- I remember back in the day when we rode BMX bikes and I could actually sit down and pedal... not sure what is up with this new trend... dirt jumping?

don'TreadOnMe
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm 5'10" and ride a Redline Proline cruiser all over the place (24" wheels).
If I need to pedal, I'm up out of the saddle.
If I'm coasting or going downhill, in the saddle.
2-3 hour road/offroad rides are normal, and sh1tloads of fun.

akelman
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
not sure what is up with this new trend... dirt jumping?

I think that's right. And I think the 24" should work. The same place actually has a really nice OM Flyer -- wood grain paint -- which is tempting, but I think it will be a bit too big for the boy.

fourflys
04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I think that's right. And I think the 24" should work. The same place actually has a really nice OM Flyer -- wood grain paint -- which is tempting, but I think it will be a bit too big for the boy.

yeah, it might... I have the 2010 baby blue OM Flyer...

http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/i-gBLCkjt/0/L/IMG2227-L.jpg

akelman
04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
yeah, it might... I have the 2010 baby blue OM Flyer...

http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/i-gBLCkjt/0/L/IMG2227-L.jpg

That things is very cool. Do you mind measuring the seat tube c-c for me?

fourflys
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
That things is very cool. Do you mind measuring the seat tube c-c for me?

sure give me a few...

akelman
04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Actually, if you can come up with an approximation of the virtual top tube length as well, that would be awesome. Thanks for the trouble.

fourflys
04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Ari,
the seat tube is 38cm center to top
my saddle height in that pic is 65cm center to top of saddle
the distance from the center of the bar in the stem clamp to the tip of the saddle is 51cm and that is with the saddle pushed pretty much all the way back...

hope that helps!

Chris

akelman
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Ari,
the seat tube is 38cm center to top
my saddle height in that pic is 65cm center to top of saddle
the distance from the center of the bar in the stem clamp to the tip of the saddle is 51cm and that is with the saddle pushed pretty much all the way back...

hope that helps!

Chris

You rule, Chris! Thanks so much.