PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Grease what the F@*$

UKBROOKLYN
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
So what is so special about Campy grease that it costs 35 plus dollars for 3 ounces. Surely its basically lithium grease. Am I missing something here or is this a case of the Emperors new (Italian) clothes..

Old Potato what do you guys use in the shop to re grease Campy wheel bearings etc..
The reason I am asking this is I did a bit too thorough de greasing the other day and the pawls in my free hub are sounding way louder.. like I lost a load of grease .. so I want to re grease it..

BTW anyone know about service intervals for Campy neutrons and can one squirt a little grease in the center of the hub under the little grease cap clip thingy.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2012, 08:05 AM
So what is so special about Campy grease that it costs 35 plus dollars for 3 ounces. Surely its basically lithium grease. Am I missing something here or is this a case of the Emperors new (Italian) clothes..

Old Potato what do you guys use in the shop to re grease Campy wheel bearings etc..
The reason I am asking this is I did a bit too thorough de greasing the other day and the pawls in my free hub are sounding way louder.. like I lost a load of grease .. so I want to re grease it..

BTW anyone know about service intervals for Campy neutrons and can one squirt a little grease in the center of the hub under the little grease cap clip thingy.

oldpotatoE please.

Don't grease pawls, BTW, they stick down.

I use a mixture of 1/2 blue marine grease and white lithium grease..each from a local hardware store, 500g tub for $6 per..

My employee uses Motorex...too sticky for me.

For my C Record BBs and hubs(only mine) I use an old tub of genuine Campag grease...cuz I can.

The new Campag grease is really expensive, not gonna get it anytime soon.

Remember boys and girls, grease is oil in soap.

Joachim
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM

For my C Record BBs and hubs(only mine) I use an old tub of genuine Campag grease...cuz I can.

Thats how I feel....

AngryScientist
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
i've said it before and i'll say it again - for the home mechanic, a tub of mobil-1 grease is about as good as it gets and will last forever for about $7 at any auto parts store.

Mike748
04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I recently bought some of Brandford's white grease to use in some ergos I was rebuilding. Really like the feel of it. Sticky, but not too sticky.

UKBROOKLYN
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
So basically.. yep Emperors new clothes.. I imagine though, Old P when you are riding around on your authentic Campy greased hubs you must get a warm feeling inside..

The stuff they make for speed play pedals is a teflon lithium mix.. they say you can use that on just about everything.. thoughts ??

Joachim
04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I'll confess, I have different greases for different uses (so what, most of you have more than one wheelset). In general I use white lithium for most applications. I have a 20 year old tube of Miche white lithium grease. I really like the Park Tool grease, but Mobil 1 (like AS said) works great and is cheap. I even have a small tube of ProGold EFX grease for stuff where I require no friction. I use my white Campy grease for my Campy hubs. Regarding oil... story for another day.

Dekonick
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
You will not find any grease made for cycling that is not made elsewhere for industry. Why not you ask? Because the research has been done in industry - that is where the money has been spent doing lab research. My bet is the big bike companies have at most one or 2 molecular scientists working for them (and probably on frame materials) and probably have nothing better than a high school lab. They buy (and perhaps) re-label their lubes from what is already out there in industry.

Besides, what forces are a bike producing? You don't have parts moving at thousands or RPM... no high temps... etc.

Just my opinion. Spend your money elsewhere... if you need locktite, buy locktite... not bike branded locktite (it will be the same stuff) same for grease, anti-sieze, paint, etc...

Having said that, I do like Phil's grease... mostly because it is in a nice sized tube.

:)

oldpotatoe
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
So basically.. yep Emperors new clothes.. I imagine though, Old P when you are riding around on your authentic Campy greased hubs you must get a warm feeling inside..

The stuff they make for speed play pedals is a talon lithium mix.. they say you can use that on just about everything.. thoughts ??

Never used it. Use the same thing on SP as everything.

Elefantino
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
i do like phil's grease... Mostly because it is in a nice sized tube.
+1

summilux
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I do like Phil's grease... mostly because it is in a nice sized tube.

:)

+1 and I like the smell of it too.

UKBROOKLYN
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't like Phils grease.. I feel like its too much money just for the tube..

Jaq
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Makes you wonder how many tubes of the stuff factory reps throw at the team mechanics, who just toss it in the box with all the other grease.

Joachim
04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Makes you wonder how many tubes of the stuff factory reps throw at the team mechanics, who just toss it in the box with all the other grease.

Quite a few ProTour teams use Morgan Blue.

torquer
04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Just checked out the Morgan Blue line: bike lubes and massage oils...
Wonder if salad dressing is in their future product plans.

UKBROOKLYN
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
rdead a review here http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/01/20/review-morgan-blue-body-bike-care-products/

Don't think I am going to be using any of their chemicals near me or my bike anytime soon... Whats that about the two headed Schleck monster.. mmm think I know where they get the embrocation

jemoryl
04-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I remember the old white and blue Campy tubs: seemed like high quality lithium grease and was not exhorbitantly over priced. The new stuff seems more translucent.

I'm still working on a tube of Shimano grease that I picked up on sale a few years ago. Seems like good stuff and has a nice Mountain Dew color.