PDA

View Full Version : Possible to convert Mavic Cosmic wheels from 8s Campy to 9/10s Campy?

4Rings6Stars
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
I've got some 8s Cosmics coming my way (thanks again laupsi) that will be going on my new (to me) Tommasini Super Prestige. I would like to use my 9s Chorus drivetrain...

Is there a freehub conversion I can do?

Here is a picture of the wheel for reference, I don't have a pic of the rear hub.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/CosmicCampy8spdRear.jpg

bluemax
04-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I have the same wheels, and I've been told it's not possible. I've also been told that those wheels were never made with an 8 speed Campagnolo FH. :p

The 9/10 cassette is .025" wider than the 8 speed, but there appears to be plenty of room between the lock ring and the axle lock nut for that much extra width. So the axle looks to be OK, and the wheel wouldn't have to be redished. I don't know if there's a 9/10 speed body that will fit the hub.

benitosan1972
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
I've heard the same thing: you can't convert them.
But my friend had his 8spd Shamals converted to 9/10spd,
So maybe a glimmer of hope? But that would depend on Mavic, which is NOT Campy, sorry my answer is more of a non-answer

oldpotatoe
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM
I have the same wheels, and I've been told it's not possible. I've also been told that those wheels were never made with an 8 speed Campagnolo FH. :p

The 9/10 cassette is .025" wider than the 8 speed, but there appears to be plenty of room between the lock ring and the axle lock nut for that much extra width. So the axle looks to be OK, and the wheel wouldn't have to be redished. I don't know if there's a 9/10 speed body that will fit the hub.

That is correct. Those were Campag 8s and then Mavic changed the freehub to accept Campag 9/10s..but that FH body(the 'famous' FTS-L) cannot be put on that wheel.