PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Re-Paint

jeo99
04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Has anyone priced a Serotta re-paint lately on a steel frame-set? Before the new website it was listed as I remember at $595.00 for one color. I actually had one painted at that price and had several others repainted over the years as I love the older lugged frames and the quality paint job. Would you believe the price is now 110% more?

:confused:

clweed
04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Would you believe the price is now 110% more?

Yes, prices rarely decrease :confused:

jeo99
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, prices rarely decrease :confused:

Yea, but even gasoline has not increased that much.
:no:

bluemax
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
do you mean 110% ($654.50), or 110% more ($1249.50)?

jeo99
04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Try $1300

clweed
04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Try $1300

bluemax
04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
One purpose would be to save both Serotta and potential repaint customers the trouble of pointless inquiries.

(guess I should have quoted him before it was deleted)

godfrey1112000
04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101132&highlight=frame+painting

dustyrider
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
At that price;

I'd ask around, you're bound to find a local doing paint work of one type or another. I found a guy through a local motorcycle store, he did some decal/paint touch up work for me on a laid down Ducati. I bought it for a song and flipped it for more $$$, plus I got to drive it around.
His real thing was cutting two, unlike, cars in half and sticking them together again!
While I was there I noticed a gas tank in a color which I just loved. So, I paid $75 bucks for an old freebie Raleigh, that I prepped, to be re-painted. It was a silver to candy green fade, beautiful to my eyes.
Since he had the paint already mixed, and extra, it was a no-brainer for me.
For a little extra I could have had enough clear coat added for life.
But it was way too big for me, and I was just flipping it, but I got to ride around a custom painted bike for awhile.

nahtnoj
04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
You're kidding yourself if you think that is out of line with what a paint job from Spectrum or Joe Bell winds up being once all is said and done.

Germany_chris
04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
And that is why I powder coat..

rbtmcardle
04-26-2012, 02:28 AM
I have no idea regarding the cost of a steel repaint, but I just recieved back my Meivici... The cost quoted for the repaint was $2100 for a two color job with decals, for my original request which was 3 colors the quote was $2600. I almost choked when I originally received the quote back, but ultimately moved forward with the project. I just felt safer Serotta do the stripping and paint on the carbon, thankfully I did as a crack was found, I had never seen, felt, noticed it before but though I wasn't the original owner Serotta made a brand new frame to the old specs for the cost of what the repair would be. I received my new frame in about 6 weeks, absolutely gorgeous, pics will be posted this weekend I hope.

Ginger
04-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Hey my friend!

Do you know Mr. Bolish (fishbolish here)? He does nice pretty bike paint from time to time but it's not his regular gig. If he's not into it at the moment, he'll know who in the neighborhood is doing nice work.

Happy Spring!

jeo99
04-26-2012, 06:29 AM
You're kidding yourself if you think that is out of line with what a paint job from Spectrum or Joe Bell winds up being once all is said and done.

I am not trying to kid anyone. Have received quotes from Serotta and Joe Bell. Joe is half the price. I have extensive experience with previous re-paints from Serotta. Remember, I am only talking one-color as I am a simple old guy. May take some time but I have plenty of patience!

:banana:

phcollard
04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Al Wanta was $300 for a high quality paint job last time I asked...

Mr Cabletwitch
04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Sounds to me like they want to get out of the repaint business and by pricing themselves out of being competitive I would assume they will be able to do it.

deechee
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Hmm, I was thinking about sending in my Colorado III at the end of summer, but now I'm going to seriously consider Noah at Velocolour (http://www.velocolour.com/). Has anyone had their bike re-painted by him?

phcollard
04-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Hmm, I was thinking about sending in my Colorado III at the end of summer, but now I'm going to seriously consider Noah at Velocolour (http://www.velocolour.com/). Has anyone had their bike re-painted by him?

Yes. I had a Hampsten refinished by him earlier this year. Honestly I have never seen such a paint job. It's on par if not better than the original Hampco paint job. Attention to details is amazing. And there's a lot of clear. Beautiful yet very tough finish. Highly recommended. Great guy too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocean7/

(Scroll down the page)

TMB
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
There are no shortage of people who paint bikes, as a business.

Many of them for less than what you have been quoted.

That should probably tell you all you need to know about whether Serotta want the business, or consider it to be a core business.

Ahneida Ride
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Prices are not going up. The exact opposite is happening.

Our nations private central bank is creating Trillions upon Trillions of
it's shopping coupons by typing #'s into a computer spreadsheet.

Created outa thin air without any complementary increase in goods
and services.

We get diluted alive. It's called frn-boarding.

The fed stopped publishing in 2004 the M3, the total money supply.
I wonder why?

cnighbor1
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Before I send a frame for a resray I sand, file and work over bad areas of paint, etc. Your painter doesn't have time to file poorly finished lugs. and sanding paint at rusty areas may expose rust from inside out. and a decession if to restore at all On my 1958 hetcins I spent over 20 hours just cleaning up cast irom bottom bracket lug. It was a poor casting but being from 1950's ok Now very smooth! I still missed the seat stay crack which when paint was removed was exposed. Fixed with adding a bracket to hold a rear rack
Davidson cycles in seattle does a great resray for around $675
charles Nighbor

BuddyB
04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
My advice is to stay away from Serotta...if their current work is as crappy as the work they did for me in 2010... you will not be happy.

Buddy B

nahtnoj
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I am not trying to kid anyone. Have received quotes from Serotta and Joe Bell. Joe is half the price. I have extensive experience with previous re-paints from Serotta. Remember, I am only talking one-color as I am a simple old guy. May take some time but I have plenty of patience!

:banana:

Huh.

So that is quite a bit of money for a single color paint job. I figured you were going for something more complex, which gets up over 1K pretty quickly.

Andrewlcox
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Reminds of of what I said to a roofing company who quoted $18,000 to reroof my house, "I guess you really don't want to work on my house". I found a guy to do it all for $2500.

How can it possibly cost that much in masking tape, sandpaper and paint to paint a bicycle at Serotta?

dave thompson
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Reminds of of what I said to a roofing company who quoted $18,000 to reroof my house, "I guess you really don't want to work on my house". I found a guy to do it all for $2500.

How can it possibly cost that much in masking tape, sandpaper and paint to paint a bicycle at Serotta?
Is that a serious question?

Andrewlcox
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Sure. I really don't know any details about painting bicycles but if JB and others can do it for way less what am I missing?

4Rings6Stars
04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Sure. I really don't know any details about painting bicycles but if JB and others can do it for way less what am I missing?

I can buy some steel tubing and some brazing rod AND I'll only charge you half as much as Sachs... You're not paying for the raw materials.

I do sort of agree with you to some extent, take the above comment lightly. I also think, as others have mentioned, that they might be trying to price themselves out of it.

happycampyer
04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I had Serotta refinish an Ottrott several years ago, from an "inferno" paint scheme to a single color, and the result was immaculate. If I recall, the cost was around $1K or so then, which was more than the cost for a single-color paint scheme on a new carbon or ti bike. In fact, I think the price quoted in the OP is for single-color paint on a new carbon or ti bike, not a price for refinishing, which is more labor-intensive. Another factor in the cost is that I'm pretty sure that the LBS got a portion of the refinishing cost, which wouldn't be the case if you deal with a painter directly.

If you have a pair of J.M. Westons and want to have them resoled, you can take them to Weston and they'll send them to the factory in Limoges to be resoled, for a price that is double (if not more) what it costs to have done at a local cobbler, or by VIP in New York, who does a lot of the local repair work for Weston and Lobb. Is it worth it?

As TMB said, there is no shortage of people who paint bikes, as a business, as well as builders that are also great painters and do refinishing work. Keith Anderson is one that comes to mind—phenomenal workmanship, and his prices seem very reasonable.

dave thompson
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM

Using Joe Bell as a known standard of fine paintwork, his 'signature' (good) paint job is $575, one color. If you want pearl or candy colors, add $150. Want the head tube lugs painted a different color? Another $150. It goes on from there.

Painting bikes isn't easy to do well and painters that do it very well command a high price. It takes a lot of talent, even more patience and a good amount of time.

You can read Joe's description of how he paints bikes here: http://www.campyonly.com/joebell/How%20We%20Paint%20Bikes%20by%20Joe%20Bell%20and%2 0Crew.html

Any bicycle painter worth his salt has a waiting list, just like the good framebuilders.

54ny77
04-27-2012, 02:04 AM
most folks haven't the slightest idea how hard it is to get a good paint job unless they've literally done it themselves (or attempted it). bikes have soooo many curves and nooks that are just a glutton for something to go wrong.

if you don't know what color sanding is, then stop right there, pay whatever it takes to get the finish you want by a known entity/person.

a good painter & prep person is far, far, far from a commodity.

cachagua
04-27-2012, 02:22 AM
...they might be trying to price themselves out of it...

This is a very widespread practice in my business (residential remodeling) -- give a prohibitive price quote for work you don't want to do.

And on the same principle, I'd take $350,000 for my '73 Porsche. ;-)

Ginger
04-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Sounds to me like they want to get out of the repaint business and by pricing themselves out of being competitive I would assume they will be able to do it.

Perhaps they just took an honest look at the cost of providing a service that they don't do on a regular basis now. No shame in that. An honest price.

Heck Jim, outside of shipping it would be cheaper to send it to Joe Cosgrove. ;P (Shipping to and from Australia would kill it...)

brownhound
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Thought this may have some interest for folks who read about Serotta re-paints. Obviously, the bike may need a repaint. I am a newb so cannot post in classifieds, but this appears to be a great deal.

'95 Serotta 52 cm, whole bike for $600. PSA and unrelated to the seller: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/2979348562.html

peanutgallery
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
at my bike painting company, it is all about vertical integration. we CNC each and every part used in the spray gun for each and every job and assemble it. Used for your bike only and then destroyed in a cauldron of hot lava from Mt Doom. the hose that provides the air is special ordered from Nepal and delivered by donkey cart

Paint and colors are hand created using only organic materials. Usually kittens, squirrels or puppies. Each pint job is blessed by the Pope upon completion. all this for for the low price of $2000 and no timeline for the work to be completed is provided. $100 surcharge for each stupid question asked over the phone, another $100 to actually answer it. Same rates apply to emails

applications for me to actually consider painting your bike can be submitted today

nahtnoj
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
And on the same principle, I'd take $350,000 for my '73 Porsche. ;-)

If your 73 Porsche is a 911 RS 2.7 in original condition you'd probably have takers....

Doug Fattic
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Let me supply the perspective of a painter and framebuilder to this subject of fair painting prices. Lets assume that Serotta wants to pay a a skilled frame painter $25000 a year (is that outlandish?) and provide him with adequate health care insurance (is that unreasonable?). Then do the math with fair profit included. I can guarantee you your frame isn’t going to be painted for $400. But before we begin that discussion of value let me also provide a bit of foundation knowledge of what it takes to do a good job. Painting in my opinion requires more skill and more costly equipment than brazing and making frames. I teach both although my painting students tend to be experienced builders while the brazing classes tend to be novices. Trust me when I say those pros that are good with their hands can have a tough time. Another factor to add to this list is that liquid paint itself is really expensive. When I divide my painting costs (not including any overhead costs) by the number of paint jobs I turn out in a year it comes to about $100 a frame.

Another thing is that the amount of time required to do an outstanding paint job is far greater than something just average. Besides just the extra preparation is the requirement to wait just enough time but not too much time between various coats. This prevents stacking too many paint jobs together for efficiency. One can apply a cheap quick drying primer or something more durable and expensive. Sealers that even colors and brighten top coats can be put on or left off. My abbreviated list of painting steps that I hand out to my framebuilding class students is a page of single spaced typing. For the painting class student it is over 3 pages long. I think most customers have no idea whatsoever what skill or time it takes to get a paint job like Joe Bell or Brian Myers at Fresh Frames or Noah Rosen at Velocolour can do.

When multiple colors and decals are added to the mix, it can add considerably to the cost. Depending on the complexity of a paint job I can average painting one or 2 frames a week. When I’ve done them for NAHBS, they can easily take a week or more. Of course one may not feel like they want to spend a lot of money on a paint job but that doesn’t mean the price isn’t fair.

jmoore
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Let me supply the perspective of a painter and framebuilder to this subject of fair painting prices.

<snip>

Of course one may not feel like they want to spend a lot of money on a paint job but that doesn’t mean the price isn’t fair.

Very interesting. I love reading stuff like this. Give me great insight into the industry and a real appreciation for the high quality we can get for our dollar.