PDA

View Full Version : DIY threads

guyintense
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
All these do it yourself threads reminds me of the films they would show us in jr. high school shop class. Anyone else remember these:
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_video/41696-ABC_Of_Hand_Tools.html

MattTuck
04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Are you suggesting that there are a bunch of primitive pete's on this board?

bluemax
04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I remember our 5th grade "science" teacher showing "strip films". They were like a slide show, but on a single piece of film, with a seperate soundtrack (LP?) as I remember.

She once told us how tapeworms are cured. You starve the patient, then dangle a piece of bread down his throat with tweezers. The tapeworm will come up and latch onto the bread and you can drag him out in one piece.

dustyrider
04-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Interesting, I think the beginning is the most important part of the video.
There is a slight irony being played out; in that ingenuity, seemingly leads to progress, and practicality evolves through experimentation.

If we stop experimentation, will ingenuity, and thus progress stop?

Chance
04-25-2012, 11:05 PM

guyintense
04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Are you suggesting that there are a bunch of primitive pete's on this board?

I'm sure there a few of us that can relate to Primitive Pete especially when you read of some who use screwdrivers to remove headset races or crescent wrenches to install them.
What worries me is the youth of today, they don't get the pleasure of industrial arts in public schools anymore. It seems that being taught the correct use of tools is a thing of the past.