PDA

View Full Version : don't steal bikes...

crownjewelwl
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.break.com/index/bike-stealing-gone-bad-2321208

jr59
04-25-2012, 03:13 PM
That's great, but they let him off to easy.

avalonracing
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Anytime that more than one guy beats on another it is a cowardly act.

monkeybanana86
04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Anytime that more than one guy beats on another it is a cowardly act.

are you kidding? it's not like that was a random beating

hopefully that guy doesn't steal bikes again.

crownjewelwl
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
but that dude shouldn't be stealing!!

charliedid
04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, don't steal bikes and please just restrain the J-Off and call the cops. Why risk maiming or killing someone over a damn bike?

jpw
04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Completely unjustified violence. That was assault. They should all be arrested and charged for their various crimes.

rugbysecondrow
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I bet the thief took his beating and felt pretty lucky not to go to jail that day.

Edit: If you are going to administer street justice like that, don't video it.

slowgoing
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Beating someone for allegedly trying to steal a bike is ALMOST as stupid as posting video of the beating on the internet. I bet assault/battery charges are coming.

torquer
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Anybody seen the the movie "The Bicycle Thief" lately?

Louis
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Anybody seen the the movie "The Bicycle Thief" lately?

Yes - a while back, it was on my Netflix queue.

Not the most cheerful of movies, but a good one nonetheless.

CaliFly
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
"Don't steal bikes...BRO" /corrected

crankles
04-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Not the most cheerful of movies

slight understatement ;-)

crownjewelwl
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
for all parties involved.

i don't know which guys look more pathetic...the overweight dude trying to steal a bike with a helmet around his neck or the hipster who can't really land a good punch or kick when the guy isn't really moving

just thot it was an interesting counterpoint to that NYT story about the dude stealing his own bike to see if anyone cared...

Aaron O
04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Has anyone considered that this is all staged and fake?

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
This is true ok?...

In my country if friend of what doesnt belong to him is caught in the act, he virtually will be lynch from whoever is around, at the point that he will be asking for the cops to show up.

nebraskacycling
04-25-2012, 06:24 PM

It didn't look fake to me. The guy with green helmet look seriously stunned and about to pee his pants. I'm not saying the attack was right, but I bet he will think twice about stealing another bike.

Another very odd use for a bike: http://www.break.com/index/dude-tosses-bike-at-thief.html
Would you say this is an unwarranted assault also assuming he saw them steal a woman's purse down the street? In Florida if one of the guys on the motorcycle died he would probably get off without any trouble, but in any normal state he would probably be in jail.

DjTristal
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
SAFETY FIRST! At least he was wearing a helmet. Jokes aside...A thief has to know there are risks and consequences. All of which the outcome can turn for the worst. In my opinion, he got lucky that these guys weren't more violent. Anyone doing wrong is asking for it because we never know how the other side will react.

craptacular
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I think that was handled perfectly. I wouldn't have filmed it, but justice was served.

DjTristal
04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
It didn't look fake to me. The guy with green helmet look seriously stunned and about to pee his pants. I'm not saying the attack was right, but I bet he will think twice about stealing another bike.

Another very odd use for a bike: http://www.break.com/index/dude-tosses-bike-at-thief.html
Would you say this is an unwarranted assault also assuming he saw them steal a woman's purse down the street? In Florida if one of the guys on the motorcycle died he would probably get off without any trouble, but in any normal state he would probably be in jail.

That's brave or just nuts!

Bob Loblaw
04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I think all bike thieves deserve an ass kicking harsher than that one.

BL

Jaq
04-25-2012, 10:02 PM

BL

No you don't.

Spin71
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Yeah, that's it.

firerescuefin
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM

BL

+10....that was not an ass kicking...Don't steal bikes...don't get your @ss kicked..pretty simple.

tsarpepe
04-26-2012, 02:59 AM
I had a bike stolen from the back porch of my house. That's theft + trespassing. Still, I would never wish to have the person who did it beaten, let alone beat him myself. I will gladly give away another one of my expensive bikes so that I don't have to watch this being done to anyone.

P.S. I did not even open the posted video.

slowgoing
04-26-2012, 03:49 AM
+10....that was not an ass kicking...Don't steal bikes...don't get your @ss kicked..pretty simple.

If you had just been there with your concealed weapon.... Now that would have been a video!

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2012, 06:07 AM
I had a bike stolen from the back porch of my house. That's theft + trespassing. Still, I would never wish to have the person who did it beaten, let alone beat him myself. I will gladly give away another one of my expensive bikes so that I don't have to watch this being done to anyone.

P.S. I did not even open the posted video.

Thieves rely on people like you.

I will also add, that was not a beating. That cat got off lucky. A little ice, and hopefully a lesson learned.

Don't steal bikes bro!

Bob Loblaw
04-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Yeah I do.

Corporal punishment works. Getting a painful flogging is an effective deterrent and punishment. Ever bought drugs in Singapore? No you have not. QED.

BL

No you don't.

thinpin
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
I'd like to think I can raise myself above that level of cowardly barbarism.

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Barbaric? I don't know. So, the people should have just called the police, waiting for them to show up, take a report which will get filled in the deepest recepticle they can find, then the thief moves 4 blocks over to steal another bike. Lets say they held him captive until the police showed up, tied him with their belts or tubular tires. Then what, police time, jail time, judge time for what, to be released and steal again. The way it actually went down, swift, message delivered, cheap, public scene that might teach a lesson to children nearby. Dad to son "that is what happens when you steal, you will get your ass beat...don't steal son.".

The man was caught stealing, a theif, lowlife for whom I have little sympathy. Don't want to get beat up? don't steal from other people. Pretty simple to me. The punishment exacted also fit the crime. If it were me, I think a few broken ribs or thumb would have served as a good reminder as well as kept him off bikes for a little while, but that is my style. And yes, I am serious.

Hawker
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Frankly...I don't call that much of a "beating". The entire thing was over in twenty seconds, I saw no blood and the guy was standing upright when it ended. I think he walked away more scared than hurt...and that's a good thing.

Joachim
04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
He only got a few slaps (with a helmet on). Should've been no filming of it. If he stole a bike in Saudi Arabia.....

William
04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
If you had just been there with your concealed weapon.... Now that would have been a video!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not (lack of emoticons)? If you are, no biggie. If you're not, then again, you don't understand the implications and responsibilities involved in CCW. That dude might have deserved a bit of a tune up for being a thief and getting caught in the act, but he did not threaten in a manner that requires a higher level response.

Just sayin'

William

tsarpepe
04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah I do.

Corporal punishment works. Getting a painful flogging is an effective deterrent and punishment.

Why don't you send your kids to school where they still practice corporal punishment for infringements of discipline?

Joachim
04-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Why don't you send your kids to school where they still practice corporal punishment for infringements of discipline?

really....

craptacular
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Probably because if his kids stole a bike, they would receive their due punishment at home. Would you prefer this thief get sent to jail? I am sure he would much prefer a little roughing up compared to the luxuries of the penal system.

avalonracing
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
My problem is that the beatniks decided to gang up on one guy. What if there had been more of them? This is how things quickly get out of hand and lynch mobs start.

benitosan1972
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
That was no beatdown, rather a few hipsters slapping around a pudgy bike thief, I found it rather boring, also the chest pounding & chanting by the "mob" was dumb IMO, they looked equally as dumb as thief

Germany_chris
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
That was no beatdown, rather a few hipsters slapping around a pudgy bike thief, I found it rather boring, also the chest pounding & chanting by the "mob" was dumb IMO, they looked equally as dumb as thief

Yuppers, I just laughed..

I'm not sure those guys could have beat any one up..If the thief had a pair I think he could have taken them out, but he was just scared.

d.vader123
04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Probably because if his kids stole a bike, they would receive their due punishment at home. Would you prefer this thief get sent to jail? I am sure he would much prefer a little roughing up compared to the luxuries of the penal system.I would have grounded him with no TV for a week. He would have learned his lesson that way =)

benitosan1972
04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
That helmet he had seemed like punishment enough... he prolly stole it from Toys R Us, haha

Grumbs
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Funny, I'd be much more inclined to beat on someone who threatened me with their car -- a lot of people seem to think that is going overboard, and I'm not saying I think it's always the appropriate response. But, really, if someone just TRIED to steal my bike, didn't get away with it and didn't damage it, I would have a hard time motivating myself to beat on a pathetic, cowering failed thief. It seems to me that those hipsters were a bunch of bitches who had to work themselves into a frenzy in order to have the balls to smack around that poor guy -- hence the chanting and obvious hesitation. If someone doesn't hurt or threaten my body, I feel no need to hurt or threaten theirs.

Like when people want to KILL you for spitting on their cars. Dood, its a f_n car! spit comes off!

cnighbor1
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I would love to put together a bike so when stolen it justs falls apart after about 1/4 mile
Leave it out unlocked. and let those who steal have at it
Howver liability would get you

avalonracing
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice post from a new guy!

Funny, I'd be much more inclined to beat on someone who threatened me with their car -- a lot of people seem to think that is going overboard, and I'm not saying I think it's always the appropriate response. But, really, if someone just TRIED to steal my bike, didn't get away with it and didn't damage it, I would have a hard time motivating myself to beat on a pathetic, cowering failed thief. It seems to me that those hipsters were a bunch of bitches who had to work themselves into a frenzy in order to have the balls to smack around that poor guy -- hence the chanting and obvious hesitation. If someone doesn't hurt or threaten my body, I feel no need to hurt or threaten theirs.

Like when people want to KILL you for spitting on their cars. Dood, its a f_n car! spit comes off!

d.vader123
04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
I would love to put together a bike so when stolen it justs falls apart after about 1/4 mile
Leave it out unlocked. and let those who steal have at it
Howver liability would get youYour wish has come true.
http://www.justaguything.com/gadgets/bike-literally-falls-apart-if-stolen

slowgoing
04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
I can't tell if you're kidding or not (lack of emoticons)? William

:cool:
Intended as a joke, but now that you bring it up…

When and how much force to use is a judgment issue. Hopefully your judgment complies with the requirements of the law. Which brings up the issue of giving this guy a “tune up,” as you call it. In most jurisdictions, use of force is not permitted to protect personal property except when special circumstances exist (like in or around your home). And even then, the force has to be commensurate with the threat, and the force has to be withdrawn when the threat goes away, like it is here where the alleged thief is backing away from the bike. Otherwise, you’re not defending, you’re just punishing, and that’s not legal because only the state can punish. Many people here know or suspect that beating this guy is illegal, so they suggest nixing the video next time. But what does that say about their judgment? It’s OK to illegally beat someone, especially if no one is looking?

And if that is your judgment, then why should I believe that you or anyone else that shares this judgment has the proper judgment to carry around a concealed weapon?

I think that's also probably why a lot of states don't allow those with convictions for certain crimes to carry concealed weapons in the first place.

So not so funny after all.

Jaq
04-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah I do.

Corporal punishment works. Getting a painful flogging is an effective deterrent and punishment. Ever bought drugs in Singapore? No you have not. QED.

BL

Well, good luck with that. 99% of all fights wind up with bruised egos and black eyes. But your rage and your might, these things aren't a torque wrench or a cordless drill. You can't set preset the hurt to "so much and no more." And the defense of "Gee, your honor; all I did was shove him back a coupla times cuz I caught him stealing my bike. How was I s'posed to know he'd break his neck when he fell over backward on the pavement?" doesn't hold up in court.

And last I checked, beatings for chewing gum and selling drugs and all sorts of other crimes in that model society of Singapore were pretty much handed out by the authorities and not by vigilantes.

William
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
:cool:
Intended as a joke…

Then no biggie.

When and how much force to use is a judgment issue. Hopefully your judgment complies with the requirements of the law.

If he's seriously threatening my life and I take it as far as is need to stop or nullify the threat, then my judgement likely falls within the law.

Which brings up the issue of giving this guy a “tune up,” as you call it.

I said; "That dude might have deserved a bit of a tune up". Key word was might, which is very different from my saying he deserved it.

In most jurisdictions, use of force is not permitted to protect personal property except when special circumstances exist (like in or around your home). And even then, the force has to be commensurate with the threat, and the force has to be withdrawn when the threat goes away,

Which is what I just expressed above.

like it is here where the alleged thief is backing away from the bike. Otherwise, you’re not defending, you’re just punishing,

Which is tied to what I said in the previous post; "but he did not threaten in a manner that requires a higher level response."

and that’s not legal because only the state can punish. Many people here know or suspect that beating this guy is illegal, so they suggest nixing the video next time. But what does that say about their judgment? It’s OK to illegally beat someone, especially if no one is looking? And if that is your judgment, then why should I believe that you or anyone else that shares this judgment has the proper judgment to carry around a concealed weapon?

If you go back through the thread you will find I was not one who mentioned it so don't try to lump me in to satisfy your position.

I think that's also probably why a lot of states don't allow those with convictions for certain crimes to carry concealed weapons in the first place.

Which I don't so it doesn't apply here.

So not so funny after all.

Are you implying I said it was funny? Please point out where I did that please.

<EDIT>

This was a response I had in another thread but it could apply in this thread as well.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1124375&postcount=28

William

Bob Loblaw
04-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I once had a bike stolen out of my garage. An enterprising thief figured out how to adjust the frequency on a garage remote and drove around pressing the button until a garage opened. I was the lucky winner.

Even though I found the guy, knew who he was (he went to my high school), gave the police that information including his address, nothing came of it. I didn't have the serial number or receipt and couldn't prove it was mine, so it was his word against mine and I was SOL. They talked to him and that was it. I was a helpless little spindly high school road racer, and I had to watch him ride around town on my bike, painted rattle-can black, for the next two years.

This was not the overworked NYPD, mind you, but an affluent California suburb policed by the Santa Clara County Sheriff.

So yes, I will take vigilante justice over no justice at all, and yes, I do think if I had been physically capable of kicking the crap out of him and had done so, I would have been justified.

BL

Well, good luck with that. 99% of all fights wind up with bruised egos and black eyes. But your rage and your might, these things aren't a torque wrench or a cordless drill. You can't set preset the hurt to "so much and no more." And the defense of "Gee, your honor; all I did was shove him back a coupla times cuz I caught him stealing my bike. How was I s'posed to know he'd break his neck when he fell over backward on the pavement?" doesn't hold up in court.

And last I checked, beatings for chewing gum and selling drugs and all sorts of other crimes in that model society of Singapore were pretty much handed out by the authorities and not by vigilantes.

Ginger
04-27-2012, 07:21 AM

As I've never contemplated buying drugs in Singapore, I guess the flogging thing worked. Glad it did the same for you.

So...Was it really a bike thief?

That was the most polite beatdown I've ever seen. When was the last time you heard someone delivering a beatdown call the perp "Bro"?
That said, I've seen similar things go down...and the proper owner who had taken the punishment came back for his rightful property after the hoons who were having a kick left...

Stupid escalation of violence...

Cloud
05-01-2012, 03:55 AM
It was a bike thief caught stealing a messengers bike. Not just a bike but the means to make a living.

jpw
05-01-2012, 04:14 AM
It was a bike thief caught stealing a messengers bike. Not just a bike but the means to make a living.

No excuse for illegal assault.

jpw
05-01-2012, 04:16 AM
I once had a bike stolen out of my garage. An enterprising thief figured out how to adjust the frequency on a garage remote and drove around pressing the button until a garage opened. I was the lucky winner.

Even though I found the guy, knew who he was (he went to my high school), gave the police that information including his address, nothing came of it. I didn't have the serial number or receipt and couldn't prove it was mine, so it was his word against mine and I was SOL. They talked to him and that was it. I was a helpless little spindly high school road racer, and I had to watch him ride around town on my bike, painted rattle-can black, for the next two years.

This was not the overworked NYPD, mind you, but an affluent California suburb policed by the Santa Clara County Sheriff.

So yes, I will take vigilante justice over no justice at all, and yes, I do think if I had been physically capable of kicking the crap out of him and had done so, I would have been justified.

BL

Your DNA must have been all over the bike.

At the right moment I would simply have engineered an opportunity to take the bike back.

Cloud
05-02-2012, 02:14 AM
No excuse for illegal assault.

NYC bike messengers don't largely share this opinion. It could be the general distrust in the NYPD and mental stance that it's better to take things into your own hands. If they just stood by and called the cops, the bike would have been gone for good. It seems to me like their goal was to not only prevent that bike theft but, tomorrows as well.

I'm no messenger but I also can't relate either. There are plenty of things, bike thievery aside that would, in my opinion warrant what would be legally considered assault. Hell, I knocked a dude flat on his back in the middle of the street when he hit a girl intentionally in the middle of a brawl against another man last month. Could it have been assault in a lawmakers eyes? Maybe. A justifiable excuse? I think so.

d_douglas
05-02-2012, 05:57 AM
The whole thing is stupid, plus *** is that 'Break.com' website?

That is a sign that our civilization is collapsing. Total garbage. At least Youtube has some interesting stuff on it. Like Susan Boyle.

rugbysecondrow
05-02-2012, 06:43 AM
NYC bike messengers don't largely share this opinion. It could be the general distrust in the NYPD and mental stance that it's better to take things into your own hands. If they just stood by and called the cops, the bike would have been gone for good. It seems to me like their goal was to not only prevent that bike theft but, tomorrows as well.

I'm no messenger but I also can't relate either. There are plenty of things, bike thievery aside that would, in my opinion warrant what would be legally considered assault. Hell, I knocked a dude flat on his back in the middle of the street when he hit a girl intentionally in the middle of a brawl against another man last month. Could it have been assault in a lawmakers eyes? Maybe. A justifiable excuse? I think so.

Don't hit women bro! :beer:

jlwdm
05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
?.. And the defense of "Gee, your honor; all I did was shove him back a coupla times cuz I caught him stealing my bike. How was I s'posed to know he'd break his neck when he fell over backward on the pavement?" doesn't hold up in court...

it should hold up in court under your circumstances.

Jeff

Jaq
05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Don't hit women bro! :beer:

+1

Stealing them, otoh....

Grumbs
05-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Sure, there can be good enough reasons to hit somebody. But that guy didn't hit or threaten anyone, and he clearly wanted to leave. I wouldn't smack around a kid for shop-lifting. Maybe those kids rationalized ganging up on that guy as preventing his next possible bike theft, after the incident was over, but I doubt they were thinking like that at the time. Who knows though, I obviously can't see inside their heads. I don't think you should be beat up for trying to steal a bike and then retreating.

martinrjensen
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I was brought up in the days of corporal punishment in schools. it didn't hurt me any and I'm talking emotionally. Now being bullied in school, that;s another matter, but we are not talking that.
I agree i the cops came it would have resulted in nothing. He got his hand slapped pretty good. He's gonna think twice before taking another bike, I'm sure. At least he won't be so obvious about it....Why don't you send your kids to school where they still practice corporal punishment for infringements of discipline?