PDA

View Full Version : Teeny weeny italian cable stops... help?

auto_rock
04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey gang

So I'm building up an 90's Pinarello Treviso to use as a commuter. I'm about to do something I know will annoy most of you... but I'm building it up Shimano (would like to be able to change wheels within the fleet!)

It has internal cable routing for the rear brake, and the stops are more narrow than any housing I have ever used. Is there a different type of cable that I need?

Cheers

John

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
IMO no... I have used campagnolo and jagwire in bikes from the same era.

The other thing is that the RD boss thing in the chainstay, that uses a metal piece thing that goes inserted in the tiny hole boss, then you put the cable.

Brake lines are pretty much the same.

Are u talking about the campagnolo ones for brifters? those take shimano or campagnolo w/o any problem, just wonder if you have been using MTB or brake housing for the fd and rd and thats why you notice a difference.

buldogge
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
You need step-down ferrules...5mm>4mm (I assume).

-Mark in St. Louis

Hey gang

So I'm building up an 90's Pinarello Treviso to use as a commuter. I'm about to do something I know will annoy most of you... but I'm building it up Shimano (would like to be able to change wheels within the fleet!)

It has internal cable routing for the rear brake, and the stops are more narrow than any housing I have ever used. Is there a different type of cable that I need?

Cheers

John

monkeybanana86
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I had the same problem on my bike.

If you don't have or want to use rear derailleur ferrule you can do what I did: I just stripped some of the housing and applied grease to prevent rust. So far so good!

see attached photos (looks like i need to clip my nails)

oldpotatoe
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey gang

Cheers

John

Do it right, go to a bike shop that knows *** they are talking about and get a hand full of 50% step ferrules...for the rear brake and also the RD.

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I always forget the word ferrules :D

Black Dog
04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I have a 80's Pinerello Motello with the same issue. The inner cable does not have a straight run. You need an outer to guide the cable or you will get tons of friction and the cable will rub the frame inside the tube. I had to strip the housing off the part of the housing that goes in the frame. Where it comes out I used special ferrel that allows two cables to be joined. I then added a length of housing, that was not stripped, to the rear brake.

stien
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I had the same problem on my bike.

If you don't have or want to use rear derailleur ferrule you can do what I did: I just stripped some of the housing and applied grease to prevent rust. So far so good!

see attached photos (looks like i need to clip my nails)

I did this on a Bottecchia I had, then the housing inners started getting pulled into the tube like yours are. I then found out that I could actually push the housing up (towards the sky) and *through* the tube all the way. Full housing. Give it a shot at least.

auto_rock
04-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks gang

I have the ferrule for the RD I think, I remember seeing one with a boxed shimano cable set with a very tiny nipple on one end, looks like this is what it's designed for. I'll go to a shop that knows their *** for the step down ferrules.

Cheers

bluemax
04-25-2012, 08:32 PM
I have these, for 5 mm OD housing and 3.9 mm OD on the stepped down part. I can supply a few.

Germany_chris
04-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Do it right, go to a bike shop that knows *** they are talking about and get a hand full of 50% step ferrules...for the rear brake and also the RD.

Thank you for saying that..

They're not even modestly expensive and most "good" shops keep them.

Black Dog
04-26-2012, 08:03 AM
The step down ferrel is needed for the RD but it will not help with the brake issue. The inner cable needs to be guided inside the frame.

Thank you for saying that..

They're not even modestly expensive and most "good" shops keep them.

buldogge
04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
What does the inner cable have to do with the outer brake housing needing step down ferrules to seat in the frame?

-Mark

The step down ferrel is needed for the RD but it will not help with the brake issue. The inner cable needs to be guided inside the frame.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Not true, I have built dozens of Pinarellos with this top tube 'system', and you use a 50% step ferrules.

Black Dog
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Not true, I have built dozens of Pinarellos with this top tube 'system', and you use a 50% step ferrules.

I am not explaining myself well. With a ferrel the cable is forced to bend and will rub against the inside of the frame. The outer cable needs to run inside the tube to provide a path for the inner (at least on my Pinerello ~circa 1985) Here is a crappy illustration of the cable path without an outer.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/Daryl_LeBlanc/file.jpg

Germany_chris
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I am not explaining myself well. With a ferrel the cable is forced to bend and will rub against the inside of the frame. The outer cable needs to run inside the tube to provide a path for the inner (at least on my Pinerello ~circa 1985) Here is a crappy illustration of the cable path without an outer.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/Daryl_LeBlanc/file.jpg

Leave the cable long and feed it through the tube..then pull it tight with the other end..the ferrule will only go in as far as where you have the rubber cut back too..don't put the ferrule in first then try to feed the cable..

buldogge
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
You guys are over thinking it.

The frame either takes an outer all the way thru the toptube or it has stops and takes a ferrule (or cut bare housing in some cases).

Everyone of my internal routed frames has an internal tube as well...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis