PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Frameset recommendations for female rider?

yoshirider
04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi all,
I'm starting to take riding more seriously and want to purchase a carbon fiber frameset and build a new bike. I'm riding a 2006 Scott Contessa Speedster currently and would like something to take on the hills around here and improve my speed overall. Weight is important and I'm not too concerned with comfort as I don't really ride more than 40 miles at a time. Can you kind folks recommend a frame for me? I'm 5'4" and weight 110lbs. I really want the Orbea Orca, but they're so hard to come by (and also expensive) :(. My budget is $1000 for the frame itself...

Germany_chris
04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure one of the ladies will have a recommendation for you.

MattTuck
04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Do you already have wheels and components for the new frame? Is that why you're looking at just a frameset?

For full carbon, at that price, maybe you can keep your eye on ebay or the classified section.

rugbysecondrow
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Hard to say, I had a custom lightweight steel made for my wife because stock was hard to find for her. I would check out this forum if you haven't already. http://forums.teamestrogen.com/ Not that we don't want you around, we do, but they might have more specific, first hand knowledge to share.

I would add one tid bit, go to a bike fitter who has a size cycle. Finding your proper geometry on there can be used as the decision point regarding what frameset would work best for you, or help cross some off your list as they just wouldn't work well. Where are you located, somebody here might be able to recommend one?

Best of luck.

Paul

oliver1850
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
This may or may not fit you, but you might keep your eye on this ebay seller for closeouts on female specific Orbeas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380431899243?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

yoshirider
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
@Germany_chris - thank you for the warm welcome :)

@MattTuck - yes, i already purchased a Ultegra 6600 group set and Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels. just missing the frame and a few other things. i've been checking ebay a lot recently, but i'm not sure which frames match my criteria

@rugbysecondrow - thanks for the tip i'll be sure to check out that forum

@oliver1850 - i've been considering purchasing a 2008 Opal from that seller, but after looking at the Orca more the Opal looks a lot less aesthetically pleasing. i want this bike to be a bike i'll keep forever so looks are gonna matter unfortunately.

MattTuck
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?SKU=74710&COLOR=Anthracite%2FCarbon&SIZE=51cm&PAGE=BUY_FRAME_ONLY&PRODUCT.ID=10305&COMPONENT_PACKAGE.ID=25&size_select=29298&color_select=74710&Submit2=Continue

Not sure if that link will work, but competitive cyclist offers the Orca as a frameset only option.

I can't comment as to the appropriate size, but if you're willing to spend a few hundred more than your $1000 budget, you could get a new frame.

Karin Kirk
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Very exciting that you are on the hunt for a new frame, that is always fun to plan for.

It sounds like you are on the right track, so I will just add a bit of advice to not focus too much on weight, price and looks. While all of those things are important, the way the bike fits you will be by far the most important factor. You said you are not concerned about comfort, but I'm not sure you meant that exactly. I've seen many women your size set up on bikes that have huge compromises in their geometry, like tiny stems, saddles put in weird places to accommodate cockpit length, toe clip overlap, etc.

It is not easy to get a road bike set up for smaller women, so if I were shopping for a bike I would try to test ride as many different things as I can. Even if you are not shopping for that specific model, you can learn a lot from test riding different geometries and having the shop look at you on different setups.

That said, don't abuse the shops by test riding 10 bikes and then scouring ebay for a deal! You can also try to ride bikes of friends or teammates. Or you can work with a local retailer to see if they have older models on sale.

Anyway, my point is to make sure you are giving ample consideration to the way the bike fits you, which is especially important when you are in a size range that can be hard to fit.

Good luck! :)

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Yoshi?? my cousin's name is yoshi... interesting.

Welcome, i want to start saying that "to me" the women specific frame is just marketing and add more pink to the paint job, there are man with long legs and short legs, the same than women.

One thing to the people giving advice, she got an ultegra group. Many frames comes with bb30 and stuff and shimano so far i know (campagnolo spoken here) has not moved out from threaded shells in some groups. No idea if they have adapters and stuff also. Maybe somebody can argue this? Im not that sure and if im not wrong that will limit the frames she can get. Or maybe go to shim that thing to make it work? Just something to think about and make her life easier aswell.

Second issue, new frames and top of the line in carbon for 1000 is tough unless she wants to look some asian american carbon brands moving around that I cant remember right now. But at that price maybe aluminum or used carbon IMO.

That being said... hmmm 160 cm...we are talking about 51 top tube frame?

My only pick ...and if you can get 500 bucks more, I would just go straight with a DeRosa R848 at nashbar they have one in xsmall (51ish top tube) for 1500 bucks that is a steal for a 3000+ bucks frame. Guys will hate for riding one, even the suckers using colnago will hate you for riding a DeRosa :D

No second pick unless something like a leopard or any other carbon asian frame with american brand shows up, but at that budget and new is tough. (if the OP wants to go top of the line)

Germany_chris
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
wasn't there a little Ti bike in the classified for about that price?

cnighbor1
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
If riding 40miles max a day consider steel
Carbon fiber can crack etc Steel is real and gives a great ride
Charles
Bah Hum bug on carbon fiber

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Come on man... for 40 miles wont crack, a lot of stuff moving around that is like 20 years old in carbon still... yes i agree steel is real, like still but always good to have carbon moving around.

veloduffer
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
You might look at November Cycles (http://www.novemberbicycles.com/frameset/), who spec a carbon frameset for $885. They're small but have a good reputation from what I've read and part of the Wash DC racing scene.

Here's a profile article from RBA: http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Tech-Features/content/67/4196/Under-The-Radar-New-Carbon-From-November.html

eippo1
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I second the November bikes suggestion. Everything I have heard is good stuff. Another suggestion is Pedal Force, they also get very good reviews.

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=21_100088_101740&products_id=20207

yoshirider
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
thanks everyone for your input. i'm open to used frames as well. but maybe i should look into spending a little more money and getting one of those new frames you guys mentioned. i'm still quite obsessed with the Orca though. damn...

pdmtong
04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
That budget for frame only is not realistic. I think a more effective approach would be to find a complete bike from one of the bigger mfgs...used on CL.
As Karin suggested, get your fit figured out first. That trumps frame material, grouppos and wheels.

christian
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
What is it about the Orca you find appealing? I admit that the last Orbea I rode was like 2006, but it had a very flexy top tube/head tube junction. Not confidence inspiring in the corners?

cmg
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
to buy a complete bike at that price range you'll have to wait till october for a clearance. Maybe you should try to buy a Fuji that appear on eBay.

ultraman6970
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Never used an orbea but i know the brand since before came to the US and are not bad bikes, spanish racing bikes in general are well built. At your weight doubt you will have a problem with their frames either, thing that a strong rider will consider specially males around 6 feet and racer. The main issue with many frames is that you have the guys that take care of their stuff and the neanderthals that will crack whatever beating the crap out of their bikes.

Pedal force are not bad just in case, that's the brand I forgot the name before.

Personally if the DeRosa (brand that probably you don't know, do home work)fits you and you can get the extra cash will fit your requirements big time and for that price is a steal.

I would consider BMC too but they are not selling frames at your range of price either no more. Ridley have some aluminum frames that around your range.

Pretty much no matter what we say, is your taste and your bike :D

thanks everyone for your input. i'm open to used frames as well. but maybe i should look into spending a little more money and getting one of those new frames you guys mentioned. i'm still quite obsessed with the Orca though. damn...

Hawker
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Have you checked the Orbea factory store in Little Rock? Occasionally they have special deals and even demo frames for sale. I agree the Orca is a great looking frame.

yoshirider
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
i just love how the Orca looks. its such a sexy looking frame especially in red! a couple of gals in my riding group have the Orca and rave about it and i cant help but admire it while they're riding in front of me. though i guess i should be paying attention to potholes instead :bike:

darn i wish i could go check out that factory store, but i'm all the way over in Cali. i guess i'm stuck with ebay. i called up a LBS to see if they could help me find a frame.

charliedid
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
i just love how the Orca looks. its such a sexy looking frame especially in red! a couple of gals in my riding group have the Orca and rave about it and i cant help but admire it while they're riding in front of me. though i guess i should be paying attention to potholes instead :bike:

darn i wish i could go check out that factory store, but i'm all the way over in Cali. i guess i'm stuck with ebay. i called up a LBS to see if they could help me find a frame.

"i just love how the Orca looks"

How does it ride? :D

azrider
04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
i just love how the Orca looks

:no:

fit
material
mfg
then looks
atmo

All in good fun. Try not to put 'that' much emphasis on style/looks for your first real road bike.

Good luck!

mvrider
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
For what it's worth, my wife is 5'3.5", and LOVES her 49-cm 2008 Orbea Diva (in pink (https://picasaweb.google.com/112227674531901972961/Orbea_Diva?authkey=Gv1sRgCMP5t-vA95a_jQE#)!). She has the fit dialed in with an 80-cm stem. That was $2300 used on eBay. I added the 11-34 cassette and XTR rear derailleur to better accommodate the hills around here.

Before that, she had a 2007 Specialized Ruby Pro in 48-cm. That fit her well, too, and was only $1640 used on CL.

The Ruby Pro was the lighter bike, with marginally better components, but she became much more enthusiastic about riding because she loves the look of the Diva so much. So, looks do matter :-)

We didn't have any issues with either used bike, so I echo some of the previous sentiments that you may be better served by directing your budget towards a nice used bike, after you've figured out your fit. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find some gently used bikes out there.

You mentioned you're in Cali... if you happen to be in the Bay Area, we can get together for you to double-check the fit.

rugbysecondrow
04-25-2012, 03:58 PM

I am going to say the insensitive guy thing...

you are 5'4", 110...most people wont notice the bike you are riding...

yoshirider
04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
@mvrider - i'm in socal so that's gonna be a problem. oh man i'd love to buy a pink Diva instead, but thats serious $$ right there. i dont supposed she'd be willing to sell it? jk

haha i think i'm trying to get over selling my red 2010 ninja 250r. i'm sure that has to be part of why i'm obsessed with this red orca.

Doug Fattic
04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Karin's advice was particularly good (her husband makes great steel frames by the way). Like she and others have said the most important thing you need to know to begin your purchasing journey is your optimum position on your bicycle. Find this out first. This is usually described in 4 measurements. Your saddle height, amount of saddle setback, the seat to handlebar distance and how much lower your handlebars are compared to your seat. This position can change over time depending on any increase in fitness level and other factors.

One challenge that women face is that some of them don't like to have to have their handlebars much lower than their seat because it puts too much pressure on their crotch. This is personal and how much it matters can vary a lot. However a greater percentage of women prefer a higher handlebar height compared to their seat than men because of this reason.

Once you locate your seat to handlebar to pedals position you can now find a frame that holds them there. It is a big mistake to alter yourself just to be able to ride on some frame. Correct bike fit is way more important than anything else like weight or what material it is made out of.

Little changes can make a big difference. I have a daughter in grad school that is also almost 5'4" with an athletic slim build. I built a frame for her last summer out of steel. It wasn't much different than the bicycle I made for my wife that she often used. However when she rode her new bike for the first time she said "now I know what real love is". She said that partly to show appreciation but indicated the improvement was real over her mom's even though they were very similar. In her case using smaller 650C size wheels instead of 700C worked better to avoid any design compromises.

A couple of questions may help us find the right type of frame for you. Do you plan on using this new bicycle primarily for training rides in groups? (which most likely are going to be faster than 20 mph), by yourself but often at maximum output to gain fitness? (maybe 15 to 20 + mph) or just to enjoy the out of doors? (at slower speeds anywhere in the teens).

pdmtong
04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
For what it's worth, my wife is 5'3.5", and LOVES her 49-cm 2008 Orbea Diva (in pink (https://picasaweb.google.com/112227674531901972961/Orbea_Diva?authkey=Gv1sRgCMP5t-vA95a_jQE#)!). She has the fit dialed in with an 80-cm stem. That was $2300 used on eBay. I added the 11-34 cassette and XTR rear derailleur to better accommodate the hills around here. Before that, she had a 2007 Specialized Ruby Pro in 48-cm. That fit her well, too, and was only $1640 used on CL.

Early last year I bought a 2010 specialized ruby comp (48cm) for my 5'2"/120# daughter for $1500 (retail $3k) off local CL. It had been ridden 350 miles and was prisitine.

keep you eye on fit, but note that the small specialized and trek bikes hold resale. so you could alwasy buy a 48cm, dial it with a stem, and ride it while you understand your position further. the big box comapnies are know entities and can be resold without much hassle. My daughter started ona 44cm when she was 4'10" so I unlikely that woudl fit and I think the 51cm would be too big. she is riding the stock stem on the 48cm, whatever that is. saddle is still slightly below the bars.

Fishbike
04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am female and about your size.

I can understand the infatuation with the Orca/Diva. It is indeed a beautiful bike and one of the most attractive carbon bikes ever. I too fell in love with the looks and for a while was more obsessed with it that anyone should be with a material thing. So two years ago I bought a NOS 2008 48 cm Orca with full Ultegra.

I have several bikes so I have a little context.

The pros: The 48 cm Orca is a terrific fit. The geometry is great for my proportions. Orbea is known for doing a good job with the smaller-sized frames. The frame is light and very agile. Some may say it is responsive; I say it is twitchy. It is stiff and makes the tough climbs a touch easier. And I still think is is so pretty to look at. So yes, looks count.

The cons: It is a little harsh, a little creaky and a little noisy. I probably prefer the ride of my SPecialized Ruby and my Calfee Luna Pro (which is a spectacular frame for the money). I also prefer the ride of some of my steal and titanium bikes. If I had to pick a lifetime bike, it would not be the Orbea.

So I encourage you to look around and try other frames. If you really want to find an 48 cm Orca or 49 cm Diva, you will find one and will likely love it. Used and NOS frames are out there. But for the money, you may be able to find a more well-rounded and more comfortable frame that suits you. As many folks have said fit and comfort are paramount.

mvrider
04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm afraid my wife won't part with that Diva for a good long while. Plus, we've been spending the past year getting her cycling clothes that match!

She's too novice compared to fishbike to judge whether it's twitchy or not. At the moment, to her a bike is still a bike.

49-cm Divas and Orcas have popped up on the local CL now and then... I'd say 3 over the past year. It's no accident that the new frames being closed out on eBay are not 49-cm: they are the most popular size.

yoshirider
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
ideally, this bike will mainly be used for weekend group rides (30-40 miles per ride at a moderate speed). i would like to do some endurance and strength training with this. i'll work on speed later... i just get burnt out too quickly. i keep hearing good things about the specialized ruby. i'll keep an eye on CL and ebay for one. thanks!

Kontact
04-26-2012, 01:27 AM
ideally, this bike will mainly be used for weekend group rides (30-40 miles per ride at a moderate speed). i would like to do some endurance and strength training with this. i'll work on speed later... i just get burnt out too quickly. i keep hearing good things about the specialized ruby. i'll keep an eye on CL and ebay for one. thanks!

I think it is fine to go for looks. At the price you are searching for, it isn't like anyone is going to be offering their top of the line frameset. But most any carbon bike these days is going to be reasonably comfortable and well mannered. Many of the cheap ones are actually more pleasant riding than the ultra-stiff top end bikes from the big names.

If you know what size/geometry will work for you (beware the so called WSD bikes with 76 degree seat tubes!), start looking at some of the import off brand lines like Neuvation, Pedal Force and Planet X. If anything tickles your aesthetic fancy, great. If not, keep looking for that used Orca, or sell more of your stuff.

pdmtong
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I am going to say the insensitive guy thing...

you are 5'4", 110...most people wont notice the bike you are riding...

huh? This is a very odd comment to me. Not insensitive, just odd.

jgspin
04-26-2012, 04:09 PM
One thing you might consider is a titanium frameset. If you scour CL or Ebay you will find one eventually. San Diego CL lists them occasionally and if you are in Socal it wouldn't be too far of a drive. I actually found my Lightspeed vortex through CL in Tennesee. I had an Arenberg which I thought was the most comfortable bike I've ridden but it was a tad too long on the top tube. In fact there's one right now on CL for $1100 complete. You can sell off the other components you don't need. Just get the right fit and don't worry about the weight of the bike because it's all about the engine.

One advantage of the titanium frame is that it's more resilient when you crash. I broke my first carbon fiber bike a couple of years ago when I fell after coming to a slow stop and could not uncleat. A week ago I crashed when I wasn't paying attention on a curve and my tires slid on the sand on the bike trail to Oceanside. I slid about 20 ft and got road rash on my right thigh, elbow, and deltoid. Except for a flat tire, bent derailleur, and misaligned shifter, the frame was not scratched.

jgspin
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM

That comment applies to me.:) The bike is the second thing I notice.

banosser
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM

agreed...

back on subject... my wife loves her 51cm Cervelo R3... it climbs like a muther

ultraman6970
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Agree here too :D

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Seriously...Hot chick, nice body on a bike...She could be riding a walmart special and I wouldn't notice.

ultraman6970
04-26-2012, 08:31 PM
lol

pdmtong
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=rugbysecondrow;1127817]Seriously...Hot chick, nice body on a bike...She could be riding a walmart special and I wouldn't notice.[/QUOT

ok, now that's insensitive. :)

I thought your comment might have inferred you dont pay attention to bikes ridden by petitie riders.

seriously, I didnt read anything offensive, and hope the OP did not either.
It just read odd to me. Peace!

Back to the original topic, I think chasing bikes with resale is another key. until you know what you want, I wouldn buy a pedal foirce etc ... too hard to unload if you choose wrong

yoshirider
04-28-2012, 03:53 PM
haha i had a feeling thats what u guys meant. kinda off topic i guess, but how much % of the female riders do u guys see with nice bodies anyway? (i'm just curious)

btw, i found a 49cm Orbea Diva that i'm going to purchase. yay!

pdmtong
04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
haha i had a feeling thats what u guys meant. kinda off topic i guess, but how much % of the female riders do u guys see with nice bodies anyway? (i'm just curious) btw, i found a 49cm Orbea Diva that i'm going to purchase. yay!

I figured out why rugby's 5'4"/110# comment did not register to me. I'm asian (duh) and there are plenty of asian size 0, size 2 women that are 5'4" / 110#. To me, someone that size doesnt register as being out of the ordinaary and warranting a second look based on size alone. (hmmm, I guess that might be insensitive - put me in the casa de perro with rugby) :no:

Around here, I would say any woman on a nice bike is very fit. nice body depends on the beholder, but lets just say that there are plenty of very strong ladies in the local area, with the top of the list being various tibco and vanderkitten pro's

yesterday I sa a fit woman on a s-works amira goes flying past while I was stopped adjusting something. So I get back on, worked a bit just to close the gap. As I went by turns out she is VERY pregnant. Just could not tell from behind. Yeesh. Even pregnant fit women here are still riding strong.

Everyones body shape is different, but not matter the size or shape, IMHO fit women have "nice bodies"

congrats on your Diva! post a pic when you are ready to share.

ultraman6970
04-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Asian here too, kind'a agree with the previous posting, nobody can't denied that more than once wanted or not male riders check out the female riders, human nature in my opinion.

Anybody here would look at Yoshie's bike 1st??? I doubt it ! :P

Kontact
04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
haha i had a feeling thats what u guys meant. kinda off topic i guess, but how much % of the female riders do u guys see with nice bodies anyway? (i'm just curious)

Awesome! The Diva is essentially a ladies' Orca. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

BTW, I care about the looks of my bikes, too. I don't really care as much what other people think of their aesthetics. So I hope you enjoy checking out your new bike when you can!

soulspinner
04-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Listen to Mr Fattic. Hes been at this a while and knows his sh^&.

rugbysecondrow
04-29-2012, 06:22 AM

The female body...the greatest example of art in motion.

I do triathlons as well as just pleasure riding so I see quite a few with good bodies. Its not why I ride, but I would be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy it.

Great news about the bike. Many happy and safe miles.

Cheers,

Paul

charliedid
04-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Seriously...Hot chick, nice body on a bike...She could be riding a walmart special and I wouldn't notice.

I'm guessing the real problem is that most women don't ever notice you.

rugbysecondrow
04-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm guessing the real problem is that most women don't ever notice you.

Ouch! Since I am built more like a linebacker than a cyclist I guess it all depends on whether they like hambones or chicken legs.

banosser
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Ouch! Since I am built more like a linebacker than a cyclist I guess it all depends on whether they like hambones or chicken legs.

Anyone who knows rugby..knows that wimps don't play.. esp in the pack.. esp locks.. You might have to remind them of the score... ;) Most all rugby players are specimens.. even us old boys :beer:

and we all very much appreciate the fairer sex's (no offense intended) fit form.. :D

yoshirider
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
yikes i hope my legs dont get chunky :(

anyway, here's a photo i snapped of the bikes together. ignore the mess behind (need to do some spring cleaning)

roguedog
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
that looks sweet. how's she ride for you? congrats!

yoshirider
05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
it's pretty stiff. i havent gotten around to really riding it yet except for the test ride when i bought it. i'm also waiting to get a new saddle, bike fitting, and cleaning first.

rugbysecondrow
05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
nice bike.

Question, what bars do you have on that Scott bike? They look different.

Thanks!

Paul

rugbysecondrow
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Anyone who knows rugby..knows that wimps don't play.. esp in the pack.. esp locks.. You might have to remind them of the score... ;) Most all rugby players are specimens.. even us old boys :beer:

and we all very much appreciate the fairer sex's (no offense intended) fit form.. :D

Indeed...we have a special kind of refinement.

Cheers! :)

yoshirider
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
its a bodygeometry handlebar from specialized i believe. i does look kinda strange lol

ultraman6970
05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Nice ride yoshi... now flip the stem roady :D