PDA

View Full Version : Continental....aluminum glue??

firerescuefin
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Went to LBS today for tubular glue...and all they had was Continental aluminum tubular glue. I've used plenty of Conti glue, but wasn't aware they were going this direction (carbon/aluminum specific)

Asked the mechanic and got a very marketing driven answer (like no experience, straight out of the literature)....

Aluminum specific? Truth or Urban Legend???

...and yes I went to Conti's website....seems very odd to me, seeing that I've never had problems with Contis old glue or Panaracer.

Thoughts?

zennmotion
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I'd guess that it's the same stuff they've always sold, and maybe they have a new formulation for carbon. Carbon rims have always been a little less securely glued than Al so maybe they have an improved version for Carbon- but anything stickier than the original (Al) glue might risk tearing the basetape off when removed. I dunno, I always preferred Vittoria Mastik in a can, better glue and less waste. Nice to see shops starting to carry glue and tires again though, back from the age of dinosaurs.

ultraman6970
04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Continental came with the super idea of creating glue for carbon and a few months ago they came up with the idea of glue for aluminum (rims). Is the same old glue, changed the name a little bit and then they added a box.

Just the same old glue and from what I know, for carbon u use the same glue.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Went to LBS today for tubular glue...and all they had was Continental aluminum tubular glue. I've used plenty of Conti glue, but wasn't aware they were going this direction (carbon/aluminum specific)

Asked the mechanic and got a very marketing driven answer (like no experience, straight out of the literature)....

Aluminum specific? Truth or Urban Legend???

...and yes I went to Conti's website....seems very odd to me, seeing that I've never had problems with Contis old glue or Panaracer.

Thoughts?

BS. Conti made some 'carbon' tubie glue that didn't work so it went away, more than a year ago.

Use Conti 'standard' glue, Vittoria or my favorite, Panaracer.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Whatever you do, do not use the carbon glue Continental had. Very, very poor adhesion.

zmudshark
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
BS. Conti made some 'carbon' tubie glue that didn't work so it went away, more than a year ago.

Use Conti 'standard' glue, Vittoria or my favorite, Panaracer.

What kind of rims? I've never had a carbon rim, but I did just finish gluing some Veloflex Crits to Mavic 280's a few minutes ago. I used regular Conti glue, in the same old can it's come in for years.

Why is it so expensive these days? Is there a source for big cans of glue in the USA these days? I've been using the 350g cans of Conti forever, but now a case of tubes is cheaper than a can, what's with that?

oldpotatoe
04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
What kind of rims? I've never had a carbon rim, but I did just finish gluing some Veloflex Crits to Mavic 280's a few minutes ago. I used regular Conti glue, in the same old can it's come in for years.

Why is it so expensive these days? Is there a source for big cans of glue in the USA these days? I've been using the 350g cans of Conti forever, but now a case of tubes is cheaper than a can, what's with that?

Gotten really expensive, why I don't carry it anymore. I sell Vittoria and Pana in cans only. Not sure why Conti doubled in price.