PDA

View Full Version : OT-Trading Up:Curse or Blessing?

Ken Robb
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Many years ago (1970) I had a pal who was older/more worldly and well-traveled than I. He was publisher of Motor Trend magazine and I was an entry-level corporate salesman.

As a good house guest I would bring wine to share. We all enjoyed it but he somewhat wistfully remarked that he wished I hadn't done so. It seems that he had always enjoyed Safeway brand wine that he bought in gallon jugs for $2.79 but now that I had introduced him to cork-finished California reds that cost $4 he was spoiled and couldn't enjoy his old standards any more.

Some would say I expanded his horizons to ever-better wines but he was enjoying his wine before I skewed his palate.

Here's some bike content: If a cyclist is enjoying riding a decent middle-level bike are we doing him a favor suggesting he try a top-of-the-line Whiz-Bang World Champion Special? If he thinks his Shimano 105 works fine should we plant seeds of doubt/discontent by suggesting he's missing a lot of fun not having Dura Ace?

This should give you guys something to think about when it's not decent riding weather. :)

AngryScientist
04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
for me, the answer is to pick my battles.

i have several hobbies, and i simply cant afford to have the top of the line stuff for all of them.

for example, i like cycling and i like coffee. i know full well that with the $ i just put into a new carbon bike, i sure could have gotten myself a very nice coffee machine upgrade, but you cant do it all. in the end, i probably enjoy my coffee made with my modest set-up as much as i would the multi thousand set-up.

tuxbailey
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Not a curse.

If you have the means to do it, enjoy it :)

MattTuck
04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Word. It is a slippery slope. You can be an aficionado about virtually everything in your life, from the coffee you drink (as noted above) to the pen and paper you use to write, to the food you eat and more.

I've always viewed it as a value decision. Do I ride enough, and take enough pleasure from my riding that I feel comfortable spending $x on a particular item? Will I use it? Will I get utility/enjoyment out of it? It's why I ride ultegra and not duraAce.

But giving someone a taste of the good life shouldn't ruin their experience with what they're already using. I've tried some $100+ wines, that doesn't mean I can no longer enjoy an $8 bottle of merlot with my pizza.

If anything, it gives them a feeling for what a good quality example should taste/behave like. Let's them be more discriminating even at the low end.

AngryScientist
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I've tried some $100+ wines, that doesn't mean I can no longer enjoy an $8 bottle of merlot with my pizza.

Amen brother, i've tasted some of the best scotches in the world, but on a nightly basis i keep returning to my old reliable dewars.

torquer
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Difference is, wines are consumable, bikes are (more or less) durable.

I'm loathe to tell anyone else what to do or not do with their money (assuming the dog and kids are being fed, etc.), and I'm as temped as anyone to replace my Z4 with a new Z5sli, but I find it usefull to ask myself the question "am I being held back by my current hardware?" Almost always, the answer is no.

Sort of like all the 911 Carrera drivers who don't remotely approach that car's limits, but still drool over the GT3.

So while I won't volunteer an unsolicited opinion, if anyone asks, I would recommend they ask the same question. If their money is still burning a hole in their pocket, I would recommend they buy coaching or attend a cycling camp instead. We tend to be oriented to objects, rather than experiences.

What's nice about wine is it starts as one, but ends as the other.

alexstar
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I've always heard that having nice things is a luxury, until you become accustomed to it; then it becomes a necessity. It's easy to get wrapped up in spending ever-increasing amounts of money on everything from bedsheets to bicycles and certainly food and drink. For me the key is to not spoil myself too often; I enjoy a good beer but I also drink Miller High Life. Enjoy what you have.

AngryScientist
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I enjoy a good beer but I also drink Miller High Life.

wooooo there partner.

i'm not so sure what you're driving at, but they dont call it the champagne of beers because it's NOT a "good" beer. :banana:

EDS
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Many years ago (1970) I had a pal who was older/more worldly and well-traveled than I. He was publisher of Motor Trend magazine and I was an entry-level corporate salesman.

As a good house guest I would bring wine to share. We all enjoyed it but he somewhat wistfully remarked that he wished I hadn't done so. It seems that he had always enjoyed Safeway brand wine that he bought in gallon jugs for $2.79 but now that I had introduced him to cork-finished California reds that cost $4 he was spoiled and couldn't enjoy his old standards any more.

Some would say I expanded his horizons to ever-better wines but he was enjoying his wine before I skewed his palate.

Here's some bike content: If a cyclist is enjoying riding a decent middle-level bike are we doing him a favor suggesting he try a top-of-the-line Whiz-Bang World Champion Special? If he thinks his Shimano 105 works fine should we plant seeds of doubt/discontent by suggesting he's missing a lot of fun not having Dura Ace?

This should give you guys something to think about when it's not decent riding weather. :)

Chances are upgrading from 105 to dura ace would have zero impact on their riding experience.

killacks
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
No shame in exposing a friend to something new. Let them decide if its better for them.

:)

fourflys
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
well, most people enjoy trying to "keep up with the Jones'"... otherwise there wouldn't be a market for European sports cars or Cadillac Escalades... or $6000 bikes... most people can't get the potential out of a sports car or feel a difference between a $2k bike or a $6k bike... BUT, it sure is fun to get something like that isn't it? :D I don't for one minute believe my Ibis Hakkalugi makes me any better rider on the course or the trail but it sure is cool to look at and just say the name... :banana:

at least that's my take...

yakstone
04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Personally, I would trade quantity for quality any day. I would rather have one six pack a week of a nice micro brew and truly enjoy and savor it than a suitcase of any of the mass marketed beers.
That being said having numerous hobbies (cycling, fly fishing, etc) and being a working stiff, choices do have to be made.
My wife worked in the wine industry for years and we always had really fine wines. Now that she is in another line of work we buy within our means but still drink quality, however, much less often than either of us would like.
I don't see anything wrong with sharing the finer things in life; everyone needs to decide for themselves what their priorities are.

djg
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM

"If he thinks Shimano 105 works fine" and we suggest he's missing a lot of fun by not trading up to Dura Ace, it might be that he's right and we're lying.

Which is not to say that there isn't something to appreciate about the DA kit, much less to say that there isn't something to love about a bike where it all comes together and seems right.

And it's not to say that you didn't do your friend a favor all those years ago -- I think you probably did. Turning him on to something that's basically unobtainable thereafter, while ruining all accessible pleasures, might be just plain mean. But that's not what you did.

Elefantino
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
[ x ] Blessing
[ x ] Curse
[ x ] Both

rugbysecondrow
04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't mess with happy people. If they are happy, I try to leave them alone to enjoy life.

stien
04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I've been trying to downgrade for years now. It only works when I stop hanging out on bikeforums and here!

Ralph
04-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Part of it may have something to do with age, and what's important as you get older.

Before I retired, I worked in one of the tall buildings downtown, drove a nice expensive car, parked only a short elevator trip from the offic. Usually ate breakfast and lunch at a private club. Took expensive trips, had my suits measued in the office, etc. I thought it was good to live this way.

Now almost 15 years later, I have a different view. And it's not necessarily about being budget constrained. No BMW 5 series in my garage, but do have a new Honda CRV. Just don't like to waste all that maintenance money. $8-10 wine tasts fine to me. Super market coffee is also fine. Target clothes OK for my use now. Both my bikes are Campy, some Chorus, but mosly Centaur. They work just fine for my 75-100 weekly miles. I do still take long trips, but budget motels OK for on the road use now. Only stay in real nice places at destinations.

At curent age, my health, and those around me is what's important. So work hard at that. Do like healthy simple foods. Interested in helping the grandkids go to school, interested in making sure family has money for another 50 years or so. Interested in selling this too complicated, too large, too much work, house for smaller simpler home. My goals have changed as I have aged. Fancy things don't mean much to me anymore. So I guess you could say I have got thrifty in my old age. Or at least.....have stopped being so wasteful.

So to those who wish to enjoy the "finer" things in life.....or step up to finer things.....go ahead. Just make sure it doesn't keep you from having a few Million $ when you get to my age (70). And be willing to change as you get older.....don't let your ego get in the way of good sense.

fuzzalow
04-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Trading up is never a curse if the reason, drive & motivation for doing it is not borne out of weakness. The type of weaknesses as might be described by the 7 deadly sins or similar parables.

Everything in moderation.

AngryScientist
04-25-2012, 07:13 AM
lot of wisdom in the post Ralph, well put.

csm
04-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I wish I could find cheaper hobbies.

Dekonick
04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
[ x ] Blessing
[ x ] Curse
[ x ] Both

What he said...

bobswire
04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't mess with happy people. If they are happy, I try to leave them alone to enjoy life.

I was very happy with my Karate Monkey until you came along. Now my son is very happy with it. Thanks a lot dude. ;)

rugbysecondrow
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I was very happy with my Karate Monkey until you came along. Now my son is very happy with it. Thanks a lot dude. ;)

HAHA. I will take that as a "Thanks You".

Bob Loblaw
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
+1

My dad has a friend who is a music aficionado. He has a terribly expensive, multi-layered stereo festooned with flashing lights, dials, and levers and knobs. Every song (or at least every record) earns several moments of knob and slider fiddling to wring the subtlest nuances of sound from the performance.

He joined us on a family trip to Tahoe, brought a bunch of excellent, crefully recorded music for the trip, and he somehow ended up with me in my old Suzuki Samurai with a blown speaker. I apologized for the fuzzed sound and for the added road noise and flapping soft top. He said, "So? We can still enjoy the music."

BL

lot of wisdom in the post Ralph, well put.

bobswire
04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
HAHA. I will take that as a "Thanks You".

I traded him the Monkey to get my old Schwinn Homegrown back. What goes around comes around. :banana: