PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost advice for steel frame

rjfr
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Being concerned with weight, but also durability and compatibility with carbonish rails, finding the right setback (25mm) seatpost is a bit of a challenge. This is for a lightweight long distance, any weather bike. The saddle is a Prologo Scratch Nack. Having a little trouble dialing it in, so may end up with something else if necessary, maybe an SMP, Berthoud Aravis or Brooks Swift.

In carbon, there's 3t (Dorico team or LTD), Fizik Cyrano, FSA k-force light or VCLS (Canyon), Canyon VCLS, Ritchey 1 or 2 bolt, and Colnago. There are many others but the setback is less than 25mm.

In titanium, there is SMP.

Not sure the Thompson setback works for me, mostly from the standpoint of esthetics.

Anyone with experience using any of these posts willing to share comments?

The rest of the cockpit will be 3t LTD or team stealth (stem and bars). The frame is mostly SS polished.

DRZRM
04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
If the SMP works it is a nice post. I'd also consider having an Erikson custom sweetpost made for my needs with the right setback. I quite like the feel of ti posts on steel frames.

christian
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm confused. What's wrong with something like a Nitto one-bolter or a Miche Supertype? Or are they too heavy for you?

rjfr
04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendation,
Didn't know he was offering seatposts. Very much a fan of his bikes.

MattTuck
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
If the SMP works it is a nice post. I'd also consider having an Erikson custom sweetpost made for my needs with the right setback. I quite like the feel of ti posts on steel frames.

I think that is probably the best looking/cleanest seat post out there right now. It works for my aesthetic. And you can get a little flash of color to match your head set/ hubs, whatever if that's your style.

rjfr
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm confused. What's wrong with something like a Nitto one-bolter or a Miche Supertype? Or are they too heavy for you?

I've not had good luck with the single bolt seatposts. Seems like the one's I've tried have limited angle adjustment or are really difficult to set angle and saddle position. My standard for this is a Brooks Swift or Pro.

I'm not at all familiar with the Miche Supertype. From search results, it hasn't shown up. I'll have a look. Thanks. - looked at the specs for the Miche. 20mm offset. I need at least 25.

I'm trying to find something close to 200g if possible. If I can find something gentle to the Nack or carbon braided rails, doesn't slip, offers great adjust ability and isn't likely to break under my 80kg weight, then a little more weight is ok.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I highly recommend the Eriksen post, but it won't work with oversized carbon rails (I wouldn't recommend carbon rails anyway) and it only goes to 22mm setback. He'll go more than 22mm on the setback, but he won't warranty it.

Also, many of those lightweight carbon seatposts you are looking at come in way over their advertised weight. The 3T dorico stealth, for example, came in at 251 grams. You can find good durable aluminum seatposts (e.g., Deda Zero 100) in that weight range for far less money.

rjfr
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I highly recommend the Eriksen post, but it won't work with oversized carbon rails (I wouldn't recommend carbon rails anyway) and it only goes to 22mm setback. He'll go more than 22mm on the setback, but he won't warranty it.

Also, many of those lightweight carbon seatposts you are looking at come in way over their advertised weight. The 3T dorico stealth, for example, came in at 251 grams. You can find good durable aluminum seatposts (e.g., Deda Zero 100) in that weight range for far less money.

Great, exactly the type of information I was hoping to elicit. My experience has been limited to VO and metal posts from the 80s. My carbon frame has an ISP, so no help there. This is a new field for me.

I'm trying to be conservative on weight without being overly WW. Hauling the extra oz up the mountains of France builds character and frustration when you are no longer young.

reggiebaseball
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I like the Fizik Carbon Cyrano. IT can be found for under $120, looks very nice (in that it is quite stealth), and the rail system is great. It can handle standard or ovalized rails, and it has a really large lower clamping surface.

I am not sure your weight, but I am heavy and seatposts with smaller lower clamping surfaces I can bend the rails behind the lower plate, but with the cyrano (so far), the larger platform is better.

Keep in mind that while you can get to 25mm setback on this post, because it is straight (not bent like thomson or moots, eriksen etc.), I think it starts to look a bit off when your saddle gets slammed.
http://www.nycsportspics.com/moots/moots 2070.jpg

I think I would go for 3t to match the cockpit in your case, but I do love the cyrano carbon.

rjfr
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not really a fan of logos on the components, so will most likely do what I can to remove them. The 3t stem and bars are mostly without, so it's a start.

The 25mm was given to me by the builder (this is a custom).

I weigh about 180lb.

The Fizik looks very interesting, especially given the design of the cradle. Some comments on the post slipping, but most comments ae favorable. It's at the top of my list.

My concern with the 3t posts concerns the top portion of the cradle. It is relatively small. I would be concerned the small contact point might add stress to the rails. I'm waiting for 3t to respond to my concerns.

reggiebaseball
04-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Fizik post is super easy to level seat on as well,
You tighten down the primary allen bolt in the back once you get your fore-aft set,
then you have a spinning wheel in the front to adjust the pitch of the nose, then you lock it all down. pretty slick.

I weigh 225+ so I can bend things- it took my other seatpost 3000 miles to bend the kium rails fwiw.

The cyrano is nice so far, but I have limited mileage.

ultraman6970
04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Im heavy too and sincerelly at those weights I wouldnt care that much about the rails bent after a few months more than the darn carbon seatpost cracked or just snapped out of the blue while riding. THat's one of the few things i dont even want to talk neither think about it.

Have a question tho... titanium seatpost are like riding a carbon seatpost or are stiff as aluminum ones?

AngryScientist
04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
over the years 3t stuff has been good to me, proving to be made solid and a good value, i dont think you can go wrong with an alloy 3t post. i do like the looks of those fizik posts too though.

personally, i need zero setback posts for my frames, and usually choose thomson, but can understand that they simply dont work for everyone.

http://www.realcyclist.com/images/items/large/TTT/TTT0050/BKANO.jpg

Joachim
04-23-2012, 06:17 PM
If you want carbon and reliable, Enve. My first choice for alloy is the Fizik Cyrano.

markie
04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
I like these truvativ posts:

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-stylo-t40-seatpost

They also have carbon posts.

rjfr
04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
If you want carbon and reliable, Enve. My first choice for alloy is the Fizik Cyrano.

I looked at the Enve as they have great components. The problem seems to be in the clamping system. It does not seem to allow for oval rails (4x9.6).

Have I missing something?

rjfr
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Im heavy too and sincerelly at those weights I wouldnt care that much about the rails bent after a few months more than the darn carbon seatpost cracked or just snapped out of the blue while riding. THat's one of the few things i dont even want to talk neither think about it.

Have a question tho... titanium seatpost are like riding a carbon seatpost or are stiff as aluminum ones?

I have no preference as to the material. Whatever works at a light weight.

I've been riding the Prologo Scratch Nack for 800 miles using a VO aluminum seat post with no problems so far. Guess it is not possible to predict the future. No signs of stress so far.

Joachim
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I looked at the Enve as they have great components. The problem seems to be in the clamping system. It does not seem to allow for oval rails (4x9.6).

Have I missing something?

There are two clamping mechanisms, one for round rails and one for oval carbon rails.

rjfr
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
There are two clamping mechanisms, one for round rails and one for oval carbon rails.

Have you used this post with carbon rails? Any issues? Can the angle be adjusted easily without upsetting the position?

Anyone else have experience with this post?

Enve has a good reputation.

Bob Ross
04-24-2012, 08:16 AM
the one's I've tried have limited angle adjustment or are really difficult to set angle and saddle position. ...[snip]... I'm trying to find something close to 200g if possible. If I can find something gentle to the Nack or carbon braided rails, doesn't slip, offers great adjust ability and isn't likely to break under my 80kg weight, then a little more weight is ok.

I always seem to get funny looks when I suggest this, but fwiw I have never found a seatpost that's easier to dial in than a Salsa Shaft. Fore/Aft and Angle are set independently, Saddle Angle is continuously variable via cam action and then locks in place, it weighs ~250g and costs less than $65. What's not to love?

(Full disclosure: I don't actually use these seatposts.)

Ralph
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
I use Ritchey WCS Aluminum two bolt clamp seat posts on my bikes. Very light, relatively cheap, good set back, two clamp system stays put, and easy to adjust. And I'm really picky about getting set back and seat angle exact with plumb bob and level. After I set them, I don't want them to move and change the angle.

Also....if you don't like logo.....just bead blast the paint off, and repaint with a satin black. Easy. I also use their bars and stems. Mostly same reasons.....lighter than CF and relatively cheap.