PDA

View Full Version : 1" Carbon Fork?

dk2ck
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi guys,

I was hoping maybe you could help me out. Does anyone know of a fork similar to the ENVE Road 2.0 fork (http://www.enve.com/forks/2.0.aspx) that comes with a 1" steerer? So some sort of oversized carbon fork with straight edges.

Thanks!

firerescuefin
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I would start with using the search feature toolbar button...search for "1" carbon fork" and a few other derivatives of..Lots of good info buried in the archives.:)

DRZRM
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I think you are looking at only a few choices of 1" carbon at all, I don't know of any with the straight legs you are describing.

The Ritchey road fork, but I'm not sure it has a carbon steerer or if it is alloy only. The Winwood 1" fork was similar to the Ritchey, available through either Nashbar or Performance. It was fairly cheap and I've heard good things about it. Or you look for used (or NOS) I think Alpha Q made a nice one. You can also break the piggybank and give Serotta a call, I think they can custom make any of their forks with 1" steerers. Certainly the best choice if money is no object.

Edit: also Easton made the EC90SL in one inch for quite a while and I think they had a straight legged version, you may get lucky with a WTB. Those were pretty light. Also, I assume Wound Up still makes a 1" (though I'm not sure), straight legs, though this may be a very different look than you wanted.

dave thompson
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I believe that Serotta makes a 1" version of their forks. They're not shown on the website so maybe an e-mail to them should get you the info.

Germany_chris
04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I inquired about a Serotta fork a few months back, the total $700 and change so keep that in mind.

Ramjm_2000
04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
A 1" wound up carbon might fit the bill.

old_fat_and_slow
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM

dk2ck
04-23-2012, 02:11 PM
@DRZRM: The Ritchey road fork is alloy steerer only in 1", which I'm okay with. The fork blades are curved, though. The Winwood fork looks like it might work. Thanks for letting me know about the Easton EC90! That looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Now to try to find one...

@Ramjm_2000: Wound Ups are definitely nice, and would work, but I was hoping for something that was a bit beefier as far as size.

A Serotta fork would be awesome, but unfortunately $700+ is a bit too much money for me to spend...

Thanks for the help, guys!

DHallerman
04-23-2012, 05:09 PM
A 1" wound up carbon might fit the bill.

Why not get the Wound Up 1-inch with a steel steerer?

I know a 1-inch carbon steerer can be okay, but a steel one in that size gives me a lot more security.

Dave, who likes how the Wound Up 1-1/8 inch carbon steerer comes with an alloy inset the whole length

DHallerman
04-23-2012, 05:11 PM
@DRZRM: The Ritchey road fork is alloy steerer only in 1", which I'm okay with. The fork blades are curved, though. The Winwood fork looks like it might work. Thanks for letting me know about the Easton EC90! That looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Now to try to find one...

@Ramjm_2000: Wound Ups are definitely nice, and would work, but I was hoping for something that was a bit beefier as far as size.

Not certain what you mean here, in that the Wound Up fork is "beefier" in size than the Winwood one.

Tonger
04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Haven't ridden it and have no idea how well it works.

Columbus Minimal - 45 mm rake, carbon steerer

http://www.framebuilding.com/carbon%20forks.htm

Tonger

Rudy
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I've got a Profile straight blade fork with a 1" aluminum steerer that you'd be welcome to, DK. Offhand I can't recall if it's threaded.

93legendti
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Haven't ridden it and have no idea how well it works.

Columbus Minimal - 45 mm rake, carbon steerer

http://www.framebuilding.com/carbon%20forks.htm

Tonger

I have the Minimal on Bruce K's old Concours. It's a very nice fork. It rides nicer than the Easton forks I've had, but not quite as nice as a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. I'd buy it again.

dk2ck
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
The Columbus Minimal fork looks great. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

@DHallerman: From the pictures I looked at, the Winwood fork looked beefier than the Wound Up. Looking back, I realize I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out!

onetwentyeight
04-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Another vote for wound up. I've had 3 of them on various bikes and love them. They ride like a high quality steel fork and track well. I replaced an alpha q cross fork with a wound up and found it to handle better and it was stiff enough that it got rid of my brake shudder problems that I was dealing with at the time.

zennmotion
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Keep in mind that a 1" road fork using modern light steel is going to weigh about 600 grams, not much difference with a woundup or alloy tubed retro carbon model , can be built for the geometry and road manners you like and painted to match the frame as well as offer lifetime peace of mind. I regularly ride a bike with a 1" Look HSC3, and don't really think much about it, but I wouldn't replace it with another 1" carbon fork- and it's getting old enough that I'm thinking it's served a useful life. I think steel in this case is a mo betta choice. I'd ask Eric at Winter cycles or another builder.

dk2ck
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the insight, zennmotion. I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of the Look HSC3, does anyone have any comments about it? How is it?

ultraman6970
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
No idea about that one but have a bike that has a 1 inch look fork and the fork looks pretty good quality.

trfkas
04-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Reynolds ouzo pro as well, not 100% straight blade, but seemingly...also looks a bit beefier than a wound-up...

dk2ck
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
No idea about that one but have a bike that has a 1 inch look fork and the fork looks pretty good quality.

Is it comparable to other higher-end carbon forks?