PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong gives 500k to help

Dekonick
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050903/ap_on_sp_ot/katrina_armstrong_donation

:)

Grant McLean
09-04-2005, 11:25 AM
How do these celebrities figure out how much money to give?

Sean "Diddy" Combs and Jay-Z jointly pledged $1 million. Nicolas Cage, who has a home in New Orleans, also pledged $1 million.

GM

ada@prorider.or
09-04-2005, 11:34 AM

i support that he donate money
but why must every body know that he donate's money?
i am puzzeled

ergott
09-04-2005, 11:36 AM
i am puzzeled

Some good press while the French are trying to drag him into the mud although, he might have done it anyway.

ada@prorider.or
09-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Some good press while the French are trying to drag him into the mud although, he might have done it anyway.

well build a village for the people who lost everything
he has the money and the connection
well sheik out of koeweit donate 500 miljioen
i bet no american know's that!

bostondrunk
09-04-2005, 12:34 PM
If someone is generous enough to donate 500k, I don't see anything wrong with them taking some publicity for it.

If someone would like to send me 100 bucks, I'll post it all over the news!!! :)

Bill Bove
09-04-2005, 12:46 PM
If 500 thousand is enough to off set some bad press in France then those Kuwaite sheiks had better get their checkbooks out 'cuz it's gonna take more than 500 million to soothe the bad feelings I have towards them after their Min. of culture called Katrina "A Soldier of Allah" Sorry sheik buddy but after we came in and saved your a$$ from Saddam a few years ago I think you owe us an apology as well a few million, or billion. And I didn't spell a$$ with dollar signs just to get past the censor.
1-800-HELP-NOW

Russ
09-04-2005, 12:48 PM
In the past all I heard was the American cries of "where are the other countries when we need them to help us!"

Well, looks like the help is there... Are we just a bit reluctant to accept it?:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.world.aid/index.html

Bill Bove
09-04-2005, 12:54 PM
You're right Russ, I'm just a tad touchy sometimes. I heard Afghanistan is donating money. They need it as much as NO does, maybe more. God or Allah if you, will bless them.

Ahneida Ride
09-04-2005, 01:05 PM
It's ain't money ... It's Federal Reserve Notes ! That's how !

ada@prorider.or
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
well it's going to be politcal
its not my cup of tea

just help the people who need help

and do not going to seek publicity if you want help
just HELP!!

Russ
09-04-2005, 02:34 PM
You're right Russ, I'm just a tad touchy sometimes....

Bill,

I wasn't directing my post to you my man! I think we all need to be touchy at times and I do understand and see your points previously stated.

My position is that we are in a skewed world! We Americans supposedly go "help" other countries by going to war "for them". But we also are reluctant to get anybody's help! Not because we don't need it, but because we are probably afraid that later they would probably come and claim that they helped us....

I do agree with Cees 100%. And that goes for the movie stars, famous athletes and the politicians. It seems as if they do everything with conditions attached to what they do for others!

ergott
09-04-2005, 03:13 PM
just help the people who need help

I need to drop about 5 minutes off my PB next time I go up Mount Washington. You wanna donate a set of your really nice wheels to a poor rider in need?? :D :D :D

PS I won't tell anyone you did!!!
:banana: :banana:

93legendti
09-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Inna Gadda Davida---Lance can't win. While I believe the best charity is given anonymously, often publicity can spur/encourage others to give. (This is based upon my experience with the charitable foundation established by my Mother and Father, of blessed memory.)

As to motives, I prefer to think anyone who gives such a large amount of money (particluarly to cancer victims, which is near and dear to Lance's heart) is giving for altruistic reasons--for the simple reason that, in the end, the motive doesn't really matter. Only the deed counts.

Bill Bove
09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah what 93legendti said.

Dekonick
09-04-2005, 08:28 PM
I was just trying to post something positive and cycling related instead of the political banter (that I love to take part in! :argue: )

I honestly believe LA did this because he really does care about cancer patients.

IMHO - Well done LA!

Now .... back to cycling related stuff ...

george
09-05-2005, 12:25 PM
LIVESTRONG

ada@prorider.or
09-05-2005, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=DekonickI honestly believe LA did this because he really does care about cancer patients.

.[/QUOTE]

and not for others only cancer patients?!

mmm

and mother who child of 2 month that died becuase there was no rescue and water

well i am going to do some golf and are join's us george after that to the opera?

davids
09-05-2005, 02:02 PM
i am puzzeled
Cees,

Your comment reminded me of the sage Maimonides' eight steps of charity:

1. The first degree of charity is that of he who gives reluctantly.
2. The second degree is that of he who gives less than is fitting but gives willingly.
3. The third degree of charity is that of he who gives enough, but only after being asked.
4. The fourth degree of charity is that of he who gives enough before being asked.
5. The fifth degree of charity is that in which the poor person knows from whom he is taking but the giver knows not to whom he is giving.
6. The sixth degree of charity is that in which the giver knows to whom he gives but the poor person knows not from whom he receives.
7. The seventh degree of charity is that in which neither the giver nor the receiver is known to the other.
8. The highest degree of charity, exceeded by none, is that of a person who assists the giver by providing him with the means to dispense with other people's aid.

I offer this without commentary.

shiftinjon
09-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Maimonides' eight steps of charity:

...sound like the sales pitch of a fund raiser.

How about, "...When you go making gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, just as the hypocrits do..."; Jesus of Nazareth, Sermon on the Mount.

of course, you'll never get invited to celebrity philanthropy events if you give quietly, and you won't seem like such a great guy. ;)

Ken Lehner
09-06-2005, 07:17 AM

I was wondering about this. How much of this money is his personal donation, and how much is from the LAF (and thus "other people's money")? I saw something that said the donation was "through" LAF,but I don't know what that means.