PDA

View Full Version : Record freehub loosening troubles

astaft
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I got a Campagnolo Record freehub (the silver 2000-2006 version off the auction site) and put in new bearings and greased it up and put it back together. I built it up into a new wheel and re-adjusted the split washer with the wheel clamped in the dropouts until there was no play.

I went on a 20 mile ride and by the end of it, there was visible play in it. So I tightened the split washer back up and really tightened the allen screw and then the same thing happened yesterday with it loosening up after 20 miles or so. Is there anything I need to replace? Full rebuild with cups too?

thanks in advance,
Andrew

Mike748
04-23-2012, 09:56 AM
With these hubs the bearings don't get tighter when the quick release is tightened like normal cup/cone bearings, so I would not adjust in the bike.

When I adjust them I do it by feel of the axle turning. I tighten the adjuster too tight to take all freeplay out. At this point the axle doesn't turn smoothly. Then I back off the adjuster a little and clamp it in place (doesn't need much torque to clamp it). Then a light tap with a plastic hammer on the axle to free up the bearings. Then they usually feel very smooth with no play. Not smooth? Then loosen a little more and tap again.

Hindmost
04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Is the cone pressed on to the axle still firmly on the axle? No evidence of play or spinning on the axle?

On the 8-speed version the cone could work loose and no amount of adjusting would make the hub run right.

oliver1850
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Here's the 2004 hub. Could a cup have been not fully seated in the shell, or the steel race not seated on the axle? The other possibilities would seem to be the split adjusting nut moving, which you seem to have addressed, or perhaps some grit or debris between it and the non drive side axle race. My guess is that if you keep adjusting it, whatever is out of place will eventually get to where it should have been at the start, and you won't have any more trouble.