PDA

View Full Version : znfndl: 130 mile Saturdays? How do you get there?

Tom
09-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Do you ride all year?
What's the build up to that distance (is there one?)
What does the rest of the week look like?
Do you peak during the year, how many times?

I'm trying to be able to ride longer, right now a good week's about 14-15 hours and I want to maximize what I'm getting out of it. I did one 130 miler this year and it was a little tough toward the end. I've done a couple of 100 milers and one was good, the other was OK. I'd like to be able to do that kind of distance routinely, though. I'm curious how you got to where you are with it... thanks for any insights you might care to give.

Too Tall
09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
He's busy getting fit for a new bike (no kidding). While the boys wallet recovers I'll clue you in. He is responsible for getting me into long distance racing and was a top 10 finisher at Killington back innna day. Genetics and talent, it's hard to beat.

znfdl
09-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Tom:

It takes time to build up to doing distance every week. Luckily my commute to work has been a great benefit, as I will ride 160-200 miles during the week. For long rides I try to keep a steady pace and actually increase the pace as the day goes on. I usually do rides that have a tremendous amuont of climbing, so my average speeds are not that great. One way to increase your endurance is to do some type of intervel training on long rides. On flats I will crank it up to 25 mmph for a mile or two and then back it down. I will try to get 4 or 5 of these in a ride. The climbing aspect, I start the climbs off easy then try to increase the pace.

The most important part of long distance riding is nutrition. Too Tall has been instrumental in straightening out my nutrition. I exclusively get my calories via one of the e-caps creations. I am a big fan of sustained energy, perpetuem and hammer gel. I use sustained energy consistently through the ride and supplment the sustained energy with hammer gel. When I know that a long climb is coming up, I try to down two servings of hammer gel followed by water 5-10 minutes before the climb. The hammer gel will give me a calorie rush for the climb. When I get to the top of the climb, I take about a half serving of hammer gel, followed by sustained energy. On long rides I usually carry 6 baggies of sustained energy for my water bottle and two flasks of hammer gel. On long rides boking is a death sentence.

The other important parts of nutrition are endurolytes and anti-fatigue caps, both are made by e-caps. Endurolytes are a good broad spectrum electrolyte replacement and anti-fatigue caps cut down on the ammonia build up on long rides.

The last part of a long ride is to be ready for the ride mentally. Sometimes the most rewarding rides for me are when I am having a bad day and I make it to the end of the ride. Not everyone has the mindset to be on a bike for 8-10 hours.

Equipment is also important for me. Since I ride mostly hilly to mountainous rides, I ride with a triple and not a compact. Personally I porefer a 53x42x30 instead of a 50x34. I spend a lot of time in my 42 chainring. I can cruise comfortable at 20mph in my 42x15.

This year is actually just base miles for me, as I am recoverung from knee surgey last year and was off the bike for en extended period of time. Next year I plan on doing some long distance racing. I am hoping to do Calvin's Challenge as a stoker for Too Tall in April, Michigan 24 hour in June, Nightmare Ride in August and the Death Valley Double in October. As you can see I will peak every two months. I do ride year round and when it is icy out, I break out the studded nokians for my cross bike. I usually try to do a fixed gear century in late fall and during the winter months on a 42x17.

Any questions, please do not heistate to contact me.

Good luck.

coylifut
09-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Tom:

I usually try to do a fixed gear century in late fall and during the winter months on a 42x17.

Any questions, please do not heistate to contact me.

Good luck.

there's the secret. anyone who does a couple of fixed gear centuries a year has got my attention. my crotch gives out long before my legs.

our team coach has us scheduled to do a lot of fixed gear riding again this winter instead of the weight room. He has us start out on a 42x18, then graduate to 42x17, and 42x16 come January. We'll be grinding up lots of hills.

Louis
09-04-2005, 08:50 PM
our team coach has us scheduled to do a lot of fixed gear riding again this winter instead of the weight room. He has us start out on a 42x18, then graduate to 42x17, and 42x16 come January. We'll be grinding up lots of hills.

Unless I were to do this on very flat roads I would worry big time about the effect this would have on my knees. Grinding can't be good...

Louis

coylifut
09-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Unless I were to do this on very flat roads I would worry big time about the effect this would have on my knees. Grinding can't be good...

Louis

lots of climbing at 50-60 rpms, lots of "up-tempo" 20-45 minute intervals on rolling roads in the biggest gear you can turn over at 70 or so rpms. the coach drives up along side of us and yells "c'mon, you gotta pound the big meat."